Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 05:12 AM
zix zix started this thread

79 posts, read 371,003 times

Advertisements

Midland and Odessa Texas - which sides of town/zip codes are high crime? Which low crime?

Also, how is the crime around Midland College and UTPB - University of Texas Permian Basin in Odessa?

If one is looking to relocate to Midland or Odessa, what part of town would you recommend and why? Im looking for a decent looking neighborhood with low crime, a neighborhood with garages, not carports....but it doesnt have to be the most expensive neighborhood.

Here is what I've heard
1 the zoning is much more strict in Midland and therefore the city looks much cleaner and nicer, with far more restaurants and shopping.
2 historically Odessa has attracted the working class blue collar and Midland the white collar types
3 Midland is better for raising a family

Also, which of the 2 cities would be better for a single guy looking to get married soon to find the most QUALITY single women? Im looking for single, no children, marriage material committed girls, not one night stand or party girls.

What else should I know or consider about the 2 cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 12:58 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,263,986 times
We used to live across from Midland College and outside of the occasional kid throwing a dumpster in the draw, it's really a nice neighbor hood! The houses where built in the 1970's and well made at that. The area was half and half elderly and people in their 30's at that time.

Anyhow, I would consider almost anything near the college good. Areas include, North Garfield from Wadley to Loop 250 and from Wadley/Garfield to Midkiff, North Midkiff to Loop 250 and back to Garfield. Imagine a large square.

There is an old saying, go to Odessa to have fun and go to Midland to raise kids. Yes, Midland is slightly strict compared to Odessa. I personally would live in Midland but I wouldn't rule out potential brides from either city.

As for UTPB, it's located in a decent area, part residential and part business. The business consist of hotels, Walmart and malls. The residential areas are nice...especially east of Loop 338 just off hwy 191. Warning, Campus police are strict at both UTPB and Midland College...you can personally blame me and my friends for the speed bumps at Midland College And don't think the campus cops over at UTPB want follow you off campus and issue you a ticket either!

Oh, those were good times lol

Old 09-19-2011, 03:35 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,970,756 times
the Northwest side of Midland is the best part of town. the northeast side of Odessa is the best part of that town. I live in Midland and I prefer Midland over Odessa.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:51 AM

Ive spent a little time in both and yes Midland seems much nicer in terms of layout, the look and feel of the city. I heard much of that was from more intelligent planning in terms of zoning so that it looks nicer. As a visitor, you dont know for certain the better vs worse neighborhoods as you would more likely know after living there longer term.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zix View Post
Ive spent a little time in both and yes Midland seems much nicer in terms of layout, the look and feel of the city. I heard much of that was from more intelligent planning in terms of zoning so that it looks nicer. As a visitor, you dont know for certain the better vs worse neighborhoods as you would more likely know after living there longer term.
The recent Oil boom has caused a of new construction so it's kinda hard to pin point areas using just zip codes. It's also a lot harder to locate a place due to the influx of new people. We got people living in hotels while waiting on portents and housing.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:27 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,759,064 times
As mentioned above you can't look at the zip codes and learn much in Midland, as they are laid out rather strangely. Some of the poorest and wealthiest neighborhoods are in the same zip codes even though they are not near each other. As others mentioned stay north and northwest and you should be fine.

Old 10-22-2011, 04:55 AM

3 posts, read 25,382 times
Cool I used to love trouble.

On a city of Midland Map look for Howard street if you look at the way the streets are situated it look's like a thumb print that's the west side of town here you have whites,Latino's and some blacks.The current crime level is slightly higher than what it used to be you can attribute that to the city growth and jobs.The crimes here are done by the average street punk .We don't have violent murders or gang banging like other cities just an occasional mugging or attempted rape ,but you have to be a trouble maker or just a dumb ass for this to happen or a habitual drug user.To sum it up West side is the best if you have kids but you need to be on guard at all times.The East side is were most of the bad junk happens there are a lot of strange people there.The south side looks intimidating because of the explosion of Mexicans,but if you look at it from a cultural view it's very nice ,dam good local restaurants, there there is a super wal-mart, a sonic drive- in, Discount tire, all kinds of junk I've seen whites, blacks but it seems like when a new to the area person shows up they stay in the car don't ! the people are quite harmless. Now the north side is where the snob's and the very rich are you've got Green Tree ,saddle club, polo park however don't let those people fool you they can be very nice but act silly when they want to like act like they will open a door for you then at the last minute they change there minds but other wise they are okay. I can only tell you from my experience that the West side has been good to me even right now I don't hear some creep outside my house with his rap music thumping my windows & walls or fighting or shooting for that matter I feel okay here in the west side.if you have any questions my E-mail is RickLegarda@Gmail.com

Old 10-22-2011, 12:00 PM

29 posts, read 82,932 times
Having grown up in Midland and with family still there, I believe the North to Northwest side of town has the lowest crime rates. However, don't let the overall crime rates fool you. No matter where a person is, they should always lock their doors on cars and homes. No one is "safe" from crime no matter what neighborhood they choose.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Legarda View Post
On a city of Midland Map look for Howard street if you look at the way the streets are situated it look's like a thumb print that's the west side of town here you have whites,Latino's and some blacks.
Yes I see how Howard street is the shape of a thumb. Are you saying that is the recommended area? Instead of saying south or west or whatever, can you list the approximate boundaries by street name? IF you say an area is good or bad, its more helpful to know how the areas are delineated.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zix View Post
Yes I see how Howard street is the shape of a thumb. Are you saying that is the recommended area? Instead of saying south or west or whatever, can you list the approximate boundaries by street name? IF you say an area is good or bad, its more helpful to know how the areas are delineated.
Hum...maybe this will help, most of this area is nothing I would suggest. It's not real high crime rate if I recall just lower cost housing. Now close to Midland Dr starting a mile south of say Thomason and running north where Midland Dr dead ends past the Loop is decent to good housing (good being closest to the loop or very far north of the loop).

Anything roughly a mile either direction of Loop 250 starting at Business Loop 20 (aka hwy 80) to Bigspring (aka 349) is a good area.

Anything East of Bigsprings (349) from Wadley down to the interstate is questionable...especially running along Lemesa rd and intersecting around the railroad tracks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: