Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 02:58 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,250,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamon Delight View Post
Just another part of the culture of anti-intellectualism and willful ignorance of Texas and the people who want to turn it into a theocratic dystopia. Nothing new under the sun.
From reading the forum regularly, I take it Texas is and has been a theocratic dystopia since long before Rick Perry. So I don't really think we can blame that on him. Excepting in a pin the tail on the donkey and bash the $hyte out of it, sort of way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 03:41 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,871,162 times
Global Warming is a new religion under the sun just invented in the last 20 years. The theocratic dystopia is presently filled with neon light bulbs, and coal powered subsidized GM vehicles nobody will buy. Polar Bears are the messiah. Al Gore the Pope. Hurricane Katrina is a sign, as is Joplin. The apocalypse is the end of man due to his sin of creating plastic.

I imagine Time magazine will declare "Global Warming is Dead" in about 2016. The Earth will be just fine with or without mankind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamon Delight View Post
Just another part of the culture of anti-intellectualism and willful ignorance of Texas and the people who want to turn it into a theocratic dystopia. Nothing new under the sun.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:15 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,489,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
The Earth will be just fine with or without mankind.
More so without mankind and only up until the Sun burns out

Old 10-14-2011, 12:13 PM

15,600 posts, read 10,614,772 times
I have no idea what exactly was struck from Anderson's piece, so it's hard for me to be objective. I think he has done some decent research, I remember when Bush honored one of his students. I think most folks agree that there has been a rise in the ocean's temp. The question is why, how much is man made and how much is just a normal cycle? I can only speculate and watch everyone play politics. What irks me is that we have cleaned up, a lot. Just look at China's stinky air, I don't know how they can stand it. Anywho, I admit to being somewhat skeptical with both sides - seriously, it seems everyone has an agenda these days. I'd like to continue using the stuff mother nature gave us, including fossil fuels, solar, wind, etc. (Nuclear is the one that freaks me out).

Old 10-14-2011, 03:36 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,617,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
The Earth was warm long before the first ice age...it's called cycles...just pick up some sun block.

Judging by this article and some of the replies, there is no point in debating the subject of climate change. This article is nothing short of a political attack on Rick Perry and opposition doesn't seem to have more than a combined IQ of 10pts.
I think Perry had exactly the same attitude going into his campaign. Look how far it got him.

Old 10-14-2011, 03:45 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,766,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grf430 View Post
Wow.
Moderator cut: see comment

Here is another fact.

CO2 was much higher in the 1800s than now. Of course, this fact is never brought up yet we have tens of thousands of chemical measurements from the 1800s thanks to regulations on CO2 in industry in the UK. The error bars on the measurements are .1%.

Beck on CO2 and Temperature: Oceans are the “dominant CO2 store” | Watts Up With That?

Quote:
Wet chemical analyses indicate three atmospheric CO2 maxima in the northern hemisphere up to approx. 400 ppm over land and sea since about 1812.

Last edited by Bo; 10-22-2011 at 08:10 AM.. Reason: This edit was explained in the Direct Message I sent you.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:52 AM

2,253 posts, read 7,008,995 times
Wink Galveston Bay - the official version

'Scientists see Texas as at high risk because of climate change, from the increased exposure to hurricanes and extreme weather on its long coastline to this summer's season of wildfires and drought.' [1]

What was supposed to be a landmark environmental report on the state of Galveston Bay has ended up as a censored 200-page document, without the name of a single scientist associated with it, on it.

There is the little matter of Galveston Bay rising at 3mm a year versus .5mm, or five times faster than average, but this and references to climate change, sea-level rise, and wetland destruction were all summarily stricken from the report by Governor Perry's appointees at the state's environmental agency.

Thus the citizens of the great state of Texas now have an environmental report appropriately censored to the taste of some, but without the sanction of a single scientist who had anything to do with it -- as they have all asked to have their names removed from it.

With the people of Galveston Bay, for one, left wondering what is really going on.

1) 'Rick Perry officials spark revolt after doctoring environment report,' The Guardian
Rick Perry officials spark revolt after doctoring environment report | Environment | guardian.co.uk

Old 10-15-2011, 12:23 PM

615 posts, read 1,079,763 times
Quote:
The Earth was warm long before the first ice age...it's called cycle
That's because the continents were all closer to the equator then and there were no ice caps at the poles. It's apples and oranges, you can't compare then earth now to the earth under the dinosaurs.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:34 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,766,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
'
There is the little matter of Galveston Bay rising at 3mm a year versus .5mm, or five times faster than average, but this and references to climate change, sea-level rise, and wetland destruction were all summarily stricken from the report by Governor Perry's appointees at the state's environmental agency.
The sea level has been rising naturally by 1-5mm a year for the last 4 thousand years. In the last 200 years this means we've gone up one meter. We adjusted.

20,000 to 4,000 years ago, it went up cm per year.

What about all the "wetlands destruction" then? How did nature adjust?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas