Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 10:01 AM

3 posts, read 9,395 times

Advertisements

I graduated from Marshall HS, moved away for a few years, and moved back. However, we've now been here nearly 2 years and except for the older neighbors in my old neighborhood, I still don't know anyone. My husband knows his coworkers as such, but we really miss having a social life. I guess we just don't go to the right church? I notice the last poster said:

Yes people are very unfriendly to outsiders, they keep you at arms length (notice the term polarized) unless you grew up with them (or drink/party with them, even a lot of the families) it's a LONG way to get to anything useful or interesting.

Sadly, in my personal experience, this has been what I've found. I've tried several times to contact local organizations about volunteering, for instance the Arts Council and the local public library, and been waved away.

The other thing that bothers me about Marshall is that there is basically no medical care. We have to drive to Shreveport. Yes, there is a hospital, but my experience with the ER means even if I am dying I will not do more than get stabilized and transferred to WK or Schumpert. There are very few doctors, and many of them are part time. There are no family practice doctors here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 11:24 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,052,777 times
Yes, its a burbs of Shreveport, La

Old 02-29-2008, 11:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,945 times
we live in north louisisna and are seriously thinking of moving. We have been told the schools are great and we are wondering about jobs and about what the pay is. One of my daughters work in a factory setting and the other is n CNA. I would appreciate it if I could get some input on the situation. he oldest is in the 4th grade and the other one will be going to K. He was 5 in Nov. abd attends head start here. The children are biracial and I want them to be accepted and NOT pushed aside. We also need to know about a church of Christ and how many there are and if they are liberal or sound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas