Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 11:27 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,022,670 times

Advertisements

I just arrived home to Las Vegas from DFW today. I love the drive and there's something special about seeing areas of the country that aren't loaded with traffic and crowded. Wide open spaces and some spectacular scenery.

I'm female and made the trip alone, no problem. It's a 2 day trip. I stopped in Gallup NM, slept for 6 hours and then drove the rest of the way. I took 40W and I did drive thru a couple hundred miles of snowstorm.

If I was visiting from the UK, I think that would be a great trip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 06:08 PM

6 posts, read 42,198 times
Anyone know a car hire company where we can pick up in Dallas and drop off in LV and how much roughly, I'm getting some silly quotes from here?

Why do we want to do the trip .... we're actually starting off in Chicago .... believe me there's a whole lot of difference between driving in the US and UK. We were in a place called the Uists in Scotland a couple of years ago - check it out Visit Uist - explore our hidden gems you'll see there's a whole lot of difference!

Old 01-24-2012, 12:30 AM

19 posts, read 41,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
]San Antonio is 4 hour drive south and if you go through Stephenville and the Highland Lakes vs I-35 you see more landscape vs just developed stripmalls by the freeway...
281 is a really nice drive, recommended.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:17 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,264,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peej12 View Post
Anyone know a car hire company where we can pick up in Dallas and drop off in LV and how much roughly, I'm getting some silly quotes from here?

Why do we want to do the trip .... we're actually starting off in Chicago .... believe me there's a whole lot of difference between driving in the US and UK. We were in a place called the Uists in Scotland a couple of years ago - check it out Visit Uist - explore our hidden gems you'll see there's a whole lot of difference!
You can find all your major car rental companies in both major Dallas airports. They also do what we call one way rentals. As for rates, I would their reservation numbers or talk with a travel agent. The top ones that comes to mind is Hertz, Avis, Dollar.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:20 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,768,892 times
Quote:
We're a UK couple planning a road trip from Dallas to Vegas in September, taking in the Grand Canyon along the way. However, my husband is a little concerned that areas of the trip may be a little remote, or dangerous. Can anyone provide him with reassurance/advice? Any advice re. special places to visit would also be gratefully received. Thank you.
You should watch "The Hills Have Eyes" for reassurance.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:50 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,159,885 times
Quote:
Taking a quick look at just one web site that gives quotes for all the major car companies and using a fifteen day interval between pickup in Dallas and drop off in Vegas:

Thrifty, Dollar and Budget - were all three within $1,400 plus/minus.

Enterprise would be worth checking out but it didn't show up in the price range of the three mentioned. Avis, Hertz, Alamo and others were in $2,000 and up range for budget models in their lines with Alamo coming in at $3,000.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:38 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,049,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
You should watch "The Hills Have Eyes" for reassurance.
Ignore this bimbo, that is a horror movie.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:40 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,049,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
You can find all your major car rental companies in both major Dallas airports.
Rental cars are usually less expensive if you rent them from offices away from the airport. You have to pay a convenience fee for most of them located at the airport it self.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:20 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,768,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Ignore this bimbo, that is a horror movie.
And yet, required viewing for a car trip through the Southwest...

It's probably on Netflix, btw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas