Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 11:47 AM

16 posts, read 63,679 times

Advertisements

Hello! We are looking at several locations for a possible move, Kerrville being one of many. We don't necessarily have to be *in* the town, as long as we are within a reasonable driving distance (say 45 min or so).

What is it like for families? We have 2 boys, 2 & 4. I will become a SAHM upon our move. How are the schools? Are there things for the kids to get active in, now as well as in later years? Are there moms groups or homeschooling group (should we decide to go that way)? Is the area family orientated?

What is the religious aspect like out there? We are not religious...have no problem with it, just don't believe in it. Will that cause problems for our family?

What about medical facilities?

I've read a lot about the area, but not a lot of specifics like these.

Thanks for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2007, 12:22 PM

364 posts, read 1,420,808 times
Kerrville is a very nice town. I would move there in a heartbeat. It has long been a popular retirement community, but has grown recently and supports many young families. There is little doubt in my mind that you will be able to find lots of moms with small children to hang out with. Religion - there are more unchurched families in any given town than faithful attendees. You won't have a problem unless you raise a stink. Now, a lot of SAHM's do attend church and they will invite you. Respond politely and you will be fine. A lot of homeschoolers also revolve around church. Still, just keep up a small but sturdy wall and you won't be harrassed. I homeschool our three children, but I don't get involved with the groups locally. I just have not needed help yet. I may as they get older though. Plus, as a man, I sort of stick out among most homeschool "teachers".

I hope you find what you are looking for.

Rick

Old 09-01-2007, 04:23 PM

4 posts, read 12,775 times
Default Not so sure

I'm not so certain about that myself, there really isn't much to do in Kerrville itself, and it's quite a drive to anywhere else. You and your children may end up being bored out of their minds.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:05 AM

13 posts, read 66,941 times
WHY would you want to move to Kerrville?? Housing is expensive, and there is no job market to support the cost of living...I know, I live in Kerrville, and am counting the days down till I escape this place.
The upside of Kerrville?? If you are a multi-millionaire, you will fit in quite nicely, and be able to have more options as far as places to live, besides the Ghetto. Kerrville has a low-crime rate, therefore, the Cops are bored here, and will get you for going over the speed limit by 1MPH. I could go on and on with this, but will not.
Kerrville is pretty, I will hand it to the area, but it is not worth the headache of the daily life here. There are much better areas to go. There are no places for the Kids here, because it is a retirement town. A lot of Movie Stars live here, so that should give you a little hint of the cost of homes here.
Kerrville's motto: Come here on Vacation, leave on Probation. That's just the way it is here, plain and simple. Think about where you really want to move, and is it really to this place??

Old 01-07-2008, 01:34 AM

138 posts, read 451,557 times
Curious- which movie people? They must drive up the real estate horribly!

Old 01-07-2008, 09:09 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
There are celebrities all over the hill country. And yes, they do Willy Nelson, Matthew McConaghey, Sandra Bullock and Jesse James, Dennis Quaid...among quite a few others.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:11 PM

2 posts, read 12,059 times
Personally, I love Kerrville. I moved here from California about a year ago, talk about overpopulated. My children love it here and I wouldnt change a thing. We have a 3 bdrm, 2 bath for 800 bucks a month, in California we were paying 1300 a month for a 2 bedroom, 1 bath. Either way, it is a retirement community but if you have a family to raise and like the quiet, it is the place to be. I like the fact that the police are "bored", better than turning the other way. Maybe I am just biased because I grew up in a cesspool, otherwise, I recommend driving out here a weekend and check it out for yourself.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:16 PM

52,690 posts, read 47,955,803 times
If you feel Kerrville is right for you, then I encourage you to give it a go. Now, it will depend on your job and what you are looking for specifically. I'll say this: You won't find too many better places in the Hill Country than this place.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:19 AM

10 posts, read 78,523 times
It's so weird to me hearing all the negatives about Kerrville. I grew up there, went to school in Ingram, and raised my own child there for several years before moving away (my husband is military). We now own a home there. It is a BEAUTIFUL 2500 sq ft house in a great neighborhood we bought for $129,000. We bought it in 2005. I can't understand how anyone can think housing is expensive unless they've never lived in other parts of the country. Texas has some of the lowest housing prices in the nation. What IS high is property tax. That part does hurt the pocketbook.

As for things to do for kids...there is a lot if the child loves to camp, hike, rock climb, ride horses, mountain bike, swim, etc. There's also a great movie theater and a skate park. I can't imagine a child that likes the outdoors not enjoying Kerrville and the surrounding area. On top of that, it's only a 1 1/2 hour drive to Austin, a 45-minute drive to San Antonio, a 3 1/2 hour drive to Houston, a few hours from the coast, and a hop-skip-and-a-jump to Mexico. There are also great summer camps in the area for kids that want to get jobs in the summer. Now if the kiddos like to stay indoors and are not the 'active' type, sure Kerrville may be lacking in things to do. You won't find a big mega mall for shopping if that's what you're looking for...

The employment outlook is a little dreary for those that have professional degrees outside of the medical field, but Kerrville is a growing city and it is looking better for the young professional.

I think that anyone that gives Kerrville a hard knock is someone who just hasn't given it a chance or who is not material to live in a beautiful, outdoor-oriented small city.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:07 AM

1 posts, read 5,743 times
Default Thank you

Thanks for this information. We are considering the Kerrville area. We homeschool, raise goats and chickens and love to do outdoor-type things.
All of this info was very informative, and I appreciate the time you took to make it available online. I found it from google.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas