Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Weather: Dallas vs. Houston
Dallas 53 46.49%
Houston 24 21.05%
Austin 21 18.42%
Others 16 14.04%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 09:29 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,784,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
Hmmm..according to the weather channel, Tyler and Texarkana have roughly the same average high temperatures in the summertime, with Tyler at 94 and Texarkana at 93 for August, and both at 93 in July...and a similar pattern for lows with Texarkana having an average August low of 72, abd Tyler having an average annual low if 71, and about 3 inches difference, in favor of Texarkana of course, in average annual rainfall, as you said...

I wouldn't think such a negligible degree of difference in average temperature and rainfall would make much of a noticeable difference though....and I know Marshall (avg. rainfall from June - Aug = 3.7 in) which receives even more summer rainfall than Texarkana (avg. 3.6 in) or Tyler (avg. 3.566 in) still doesn't produce the kind of fall foliage I've seen in Tyler (or in Texarkana for that matter). Again, these are the weather channel's numbers though so I don't know how accurate they are.
The cooler temps statement was in reference to fall time. I should've been clear about that.

Of course I'm not suggesting that there's a major difference between the two, but I would give the edge to TXK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2015, 09:34 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,140,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
The cooler temps statement was in reference to fall time. I should've been clear about that.

Of course I'm not suggesting that there's a major difference between the two, but I would give the edge to TXK.
Cool...different strokes, and all that jazz...

Old 11-28-2015, 10:55 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,922,124 times
Quote:
I wouldn't go that far. It can get cold and cloudy in a Houston November, and there are trees there that lose their leaves, albeit a bit later.
It depends on what you are considering "cold." But, nevertheless, Dallas does indeed experience more of the "Northeastern style feel" during November than either Houston or San Antonio (more periods of cold weather, more apparent fall color, etc).

Old 11-29-2015, 01:24 AM

7,540 posts, read 11,570,916 times
Houston weather is better winter is warmer by 5 to 10 degrees less chances of tornados get the wind off the gulf on a summer day and the heat is not be to bad really. The worst about the weather is it more humid is the summer and there are chances for hurricanes like once ever 10 to 13 yrs

Old 11-29-2015, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
It depends on what you are considering "cold." But, nevertheless, Dallas does indeed experience more of the "Northeastern style feel" during November than either Houston or San Antonio (more periods of cold weather, more apparent fall color, etc).
I think anything under 50 degrees can be fairly classified as cold for most people.

Yes, of the major cities, Dallas comes the closest to resembling a northeastern climate, but it's not actually close at all. It's weather is still more like Houston's than anywhere up north.

Old 12-01-2015, 04:10 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,453,412 times
Quote:
I think anything under 50 degrees can be fairly classified as cold for most people.

Yes, of the major cities, Dallas comes the closest to resembling a northeastern climate, but it's not actually close at all. It's weather is still more like Houston's than anywhere up north.
It's somewhat close though. The record low in Houston is 5, the record low in Dallas is -3. In Philadelphia, PA, it's -11. Dallas has actually gotten to the negatives. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Munger_Place.jpg That's a picture of a Dallas neighbourhood. A scene like that is way more common in Dallas, and happens probably almost every year, while is a rare event in Houston.

I'd say it's climate is more similar to the lower Midwest, (southern Kansas and Missouri) than the Northeast though, or to the Gulf Coast of Texas. This is during late fall, winter and early spring though, the rest it's more like Houston. The trees are a major way that shows.

Old 12-01-2015, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
It's somewhat close though. The record low in Houston is 5, the record low in Dallas is -3. In Philadelphia, PA, it's -11. Dallas has actually gotten to the negatives. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Munger_Place.jpg That's a picture of a Dallas neighbourhood. A scene like that is way more common in Dallas, and happens probably almost every year, while is a rare event in Houston.

I'd say it's climate is more similar to the lower Midwest, (southern Kansas and Missouri) than the Northeast though, or to the Gulf Coast of Texas. This is during late fall, winter and early spring though, the rest it's more like Houston. The trees are a major way that shows.
Dallas' inland location makes it more prone to weather extremes (both hot and cold), but it's overall climate is still far more comparable to Houston than anywhere in the Midwest. The once a year dustings you get in North Texas is nowhere close to the accumulation of snowfall that happens in St. Louis or Philadelphia.

Houston is much wetter than Dallas, but the difference in their average temperatures is greatly exaggerated by most people.

http://wwworigin.weather.com/outlook...ocid2=USTX0617

Old 12-01-2015, 06:00 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,922,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post

The 5F for Houston comes from the Intercontinental Airport. At Hobby Airport, the record is 9F.

Old 12-01-2015, 07:06 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,316,484 times
I am closer to Dallas than Houston. I'd likely prefer Houston's to Dallas's, insomuch that I hate the idea of summer AND winter being hard-core (although the summers are more so). If it's going to get up to 105'F in summer, then in return winter should NEVER see ice and/or snow. By contrast, if winter is serious enough that ice/snow is a real possibility, then summer should never get above 90'F. Dallas is entirely too extreme.

Also, I'm not a fan of a lot of rain, but then I'd want it to rain somewhat in the summer so I'm not cooked so much. In this Tyler area, as I griped about in another thread, it rains less during the summer than any other time, yet rains a lot during the spring and ruins many of those days which would be wonderful as in 70-80'F and sunny, which is silly.

Then again, Houston is subject to flooding and is at risk of hurricanes. A city with that much money should spend much more on a good drainage system to deal with the deluge of rain, and one hurricane every 345 years is one too many.

Old 12-01-2015, 07:06 PM

14 posts, read 19,588 times
Having spent most of the year in Austin, Houston and Dallas (going back and forth between all 3), I would have to say Dallas has the best weather. Throughout the summer I would look at the temps on my phone app, displaying the temp data for all 3 cities: and found that on any given day at any given time, Dallas always had a lower "feels like temperature". Even when occasionally when the actual temp was a degree or 2 higher than Houston or Austin, the humidity was ALWAYS lower in Dallas. It also is windier all year round. (Sorry i dont have time to link the data, but its right off C-D and NOAA)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas