Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 04:13 PM

3 posts, read 14,575 times

Advertisements

Hi! My husband and I will be relocating from Mobile, AL to join the new Tenaris Mill being built in Bay City, TX. Now that I understand that living in Houston is not really viable, I am looking for alternative cities to consider. I'm not sure that Bay City itself is what I am looking for simply because I am accustomed to larger cities and would prefer the amenities that accompany such a location. Currently, my husband commutes 50 miles one way to work so that is not a hindrance in and of itself. However, he does have the benefit of interstate roads which makes the commute easier.

What are some alternative cities y'all could recommend to me? I know virtually nothing about the area so any help that I could get would be much appreciated. I do not have any children myself; however, we are moving with another family who will have a child that will be in 7th grade so good schools/neighborhoods are of interest to me because we want to stick together. I would like to have access to a variety of restaurants, entertainment and family friendly living. Since we currently live 30 minutes from the Gulf, I would like to keep day trips to the beach a factor of consideration.

This move likely will come sometime in January. Renting is preferable for us until we get our bearings in the area. We anticipate that our gross income will be somewhere in the 90,000 to 120,000 range so that is a factor to consider. I will be staying at home for the first few months but my career is in the beauty industry so English speaking salon/spas are a big factor for me.

I appreciate the help and advice y'all can provide.
Teresa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 06:45 PM

6,301 posts, read 7,531,644 times
From what I have read the Tenaris plant will be west of Bay City on Hwy 35, so you may want to check out places like Angleton , Lake Jackson, Freeport all of which are very close to the beach at Freeport, and about 1 Hour south of Houston. Your commute from there to work should be 30 minutes or less.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:34 PM

Thanks Jack!

If you don't mind my asking, if you could choose one city, which would it be and why?

Old 10-07-2013, 08:21 PM

6,301 posts, read 7,531,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teresah1973 View Post
Thanks Jack!

If you don't mind my asking, if you could choose one city, which would it be and why?
I would pick Lake Jackson simply because I know LJ somewhat better than the other locations. It has some really nice parts and seemed to be void of any really bad parts. The Brazosport area is populated enough where you will have some amenities that you wouldn't have in Bay City, shopping ,dinning, ect. Surfside Beach is well known in the Houston area and is only a few minutes away from LJ. But to be honest I have not been in that area for quit some time, but I don't think things have changed that much.

Here is an example of some of the rental properties available in the area..

Lake Jackson TX Apartments, Houses and Condos/Townhomes for Rent - realtor.com®

I hope this helps....

Old 10-07-2013, 10:43 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,737,687 times
Lake Jackson would be my first choice, and then Angleton. I grew up in Brazoria so I'm biased. Brazoria, West Columbia, Sweeny, Clute...those are some smaller towns that are around Lake Jackson as well, and they are OK. I still have lots of friends in the area. Lake Jackson is a pretty big town and should have everything you need. You will still be very close to the Gulf and Surfside and Quintana are two beaches in Freeport, which is very close to Lake Jackson, less than 30 minutes. An old friend of mine and her husband and daughter live in Surfside. He is a teacher and their daughter attends Brazosport schools, which I believe are pretty good.

There are numerous parks in Lake Jackson, a movie theatre or two, a decent hospital, mall, HEB Plus, lots of restaurants and shopping and I believe there is also an aquarium there, although the aquarium may also be in Freeport, not sure. It's also a 45 minute drive to Houston if you so desire.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:55 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,797,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
From what I have read the Tenaris plant will be west of Bay City on Hwy 35, so you may want to check out places like Angleton , Lake Jackson, Freeport all of which are very close to the beach at Freeport, and about 1 Hour south of Houston. Your commute from there to work should be 30 minutes or less.
I agree that LJ, Angleton & possibly W. Columbia are towns to look at since the plant is east (not west) of Bay City on Highway 35. It appears the plant will be located between Van Vleck & Old Ocean. Also agree that LJ is probably the "nicest" area (for all the reasons that Jack & Roses give above)....but it is probably a 45 min. commute from LJ to that plant.

OP, are schools a consideration? I wonder how the schools stack up in those 3 areas?

To all....how is Columbia Lakes (outside of W. Columbia) these days. It's been a while since I've visited this general area, but I remember Columbia Lakes was a very nice golf course community back in the late 80s/early 90s. (it would be a much closer 15-20 min. commute to Tenaris than LJ which would be 45 min......but I'm not sure how the schools or W. Columbia are doing these days).

Old 10-08-2013, 06:21 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,737,687 times
I have a friend who is a teacher in W. Columbia and she and another friend of mine live in Columbia Lakes. It's still a very nice neighborhood. So is Lake Jackson Farms in LJ. The schools in WC are good.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:44 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,797,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
I have a friend who is a teacher in W. Columbia and she and another friend of mine live in Columbia Lakes. It's still a very nice neighborhood. So is Lake Jackson Farms in LJ. The schools in WC are good.
Good to know it's still a nice GC community. Thanks Roses.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:37 PM

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the information and will continue to check back for more. I am sure that this thread will be helpful for so many more as the Tenaris site develops and more people look to relocate to this area!

Old 04-16-2014, 09:26 PM

4 posts, read 9,288 times
I'm interested to know where you ended up. We are looking into relocating to the Bay City area this summer, but the school district ratings there aren't what I would like. So we are looking for a better district but still have a little bit more to do then we currently have in our home town. Population 2500!! We just want a nice town to put down roots and raise our family!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas