Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 04:10 PM

374 posts, read 982,622 times

Advertisements

- Are Texans offended by being called "Americans"? I've seen Hawaiians and Puerto Ricans react this way. Or are they like other Southerners, who act all proud of the US military, despite the "illegal occupation"?
Proud to be Americans and particularly of our military, but we expect the boys to come home and help when Texas declares its independence from the US.

- How do they react to the word "native"? I've seen some places where people are proud to call themselves e.g. a native of Kentucky. In other places such as Hawaii, "native" was considered a deeply offensive, racist term.
Native is a badge of honor. A native won't discriminate against non-natives unless you think you're better than they are. It's an honor to be given a chance to become Texan; native's are more than happy to help you.

- Similarly, how to people react to "redneck"? In Alabama, it is considered a compliment. People are proud to be rednecks. In other places, it is considered just as offensive as the N-word.
There are some who would find it offensive but they have forgotten what it means to work for a living. Their opinion doesn't carry any weight.

- Does the "lone star" stand for any particular star in the sky, such as Venus? Or is it just saying that the Texas star is better than other stars?
Never even considered this and don't have an opinion. That being said, I have noticed that that 28th star on the US flag is a bigger than the rest

- Are string ties still worn by the natives, or is it a 70s faux pas?
I still have one and wear it to church. Plenty of others do as well.

- Do cowboy boots carry any color symbolism? E.g. are black cowboy boots only worn by Jews?
They just don't need to be too clean unless they are for church. If they have zippers of any kind, you're wrong.

- Are outsiders expected to partake in line dancing, or is it considered deeply offensive for outsiders to imitate the sacred rite?
It's not sacred. Have at it if you wish.

- In Alabama, we have a chain of urgent care clinics (American Family Care) where you can go if you have the flu but don't want to spend 6 hours in the ER. Does Austin have a similar system?
Don't know. Didn't HEB start placing those in the grocery stores?

- What are the table manners there? Do they make a big deal out of hiding their hands under the table at all times, like Midwesterners, or do they keep their hands above the table at all times, like in Alabama?
I don't think anyone worries about hands, but PLEASE take your hat off. Nothing more offensive than a man wearing a hat at the dinner table.

- Are Texans offended by people who eat steak well-cooked? Or are they offended by rare steak? In Alabama, rare steak is considered offensive; steak tends to be considered a foreign food.
It's an offense against the steer who gave it's life for that steak. How can anyone do that to a good steak???? If blood's not dripping, there is a problem! BTW, I never had a problem with ordering rare steaks in Dothan or Birmingham when I was working over there.

- Alabamans do eat a lot of pork. Is pork considered an offensive food in Texas? I've seen some parts of the country act all hostile about pork.
No problem with eating pork. It's used as a filler in most deer sausage. There are also tons of wild hogs that need to be killed off so if you like it, there is plenty available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 05:36 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Welcome to Austin! Like most, you'll likely find that most of your preconceptions bear little to do with reality.
I'm a southerner, THL.

The labels that I might confine myself to:

1. Black
2. American
3. Southerner
4. Texan

As for the OP...I get a hint of trolling in our midst.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:53 PM

160 posts, read 365,675 times
The OP can't be serious. This has to be a troll. Maybe the most random non-sensical set of questions I have seen on city-data.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:17 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I'm a southerner, THL.

1. Black
2. American
3. Southerner
4. Texan

As for the OP...I get a hint of trolling in our midst.
Well, I'm a native Texan, my ancestors here predate the Republic, never mind the Civil War, and I'm not a southerner, I'm a Texan.

One has to carefully ignore all of the other contributors to what makes Texas what it is in order to claim that it is a southern state.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:46 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I'm a southerner, THL.

1. Black
2. American
3. Southerner
4. Texan
I am totally on board with you on this one, Nairobi (expect I am not black! LOL). Just like you (and quite a few others) I am a native Texan and Southerner and see no contradiction at all.

Anyway, one would have to carefully -- if not totally -- ignore the basic history and culture and institutions of the state to claim it is not essentially Southern. Totally? No...if the standard to be used is that of certain Deep South states. Essentially, absoutely. Far as that goes, many other basically Southern states bordering the Deep South (such as Florida, Virginia, etc), also have characteristics which distinguish them from that classic GWTW "moonlight and magnolia" image.

I truly don't want to get into this unanswerable topic again (it has simply and obviously been done many times, and beaten to death), but I will reply and rejoin when I think it is necessary.

Quote:
As for the OP...I get a hint of trolling in our midst

The more I look at it, the more I agree!

Gotta get to work. Everyone have a good day!

Old 04-17-2012, 08:59 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Well, I'm a native Texan, my ancestors here predate the Republic, never mind the Civil War, and I'm not a southerner, I'm a Texan.

One has to carefully ignore all of the other contributors to what makes Texas what it is in order to claim that it is a southern state.
Texas can be very unique while still being a predominantly culturally southern state. Like TexasReb said, they don't contradict each other.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:13 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,130,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
I am offended by rare steak, but a lot of people still order it. An old co-worker liked to order it oozing blood. YUCK! My gf says I like my food 'incinerated' and I say I just like my parasites dead and cooked to a crisp before I ingest them. Pork isn't as common here, but it is definitely not unusual.

Grackles are a nuisance. You should see (or hear) right when they settle in a tree for the night.
Then you haven't been to Outback Steakhouse. I always had my steaks cooked medium well. They gave me medium rare. It was delicious! Give it a chance there. It has to be Victoria’s Filet®

Old 04-18-2012, 10:16 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,407,065 times
Texas is a different place, we value individual freedom, we like businesses, we arent afraid to manage the risks of manufacturing work, we value diversity in employers and neighbors, we like sports and can play golf in DFW, Houston and Austin year around. No state Income tax but higher property taxes, our state representatives have a part time job (our legislature meets every other years I beleive) so they stay in touch with the challenges business and citizens face. We have world class healthcare and energy jobs. We welcome others to Tx and are glad to help one settle in here.

Welcome to Tx

Old 04-18-2012, 06:16 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,707,091 times
Heck, my family predates all countries, states, nations, whatever! I consider myself a proud Earthian. Live where you wish. We're all natives!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas