Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 02:10 PM

3 posts, read 10,829 times

Advertisements

I am getting ready to move to Texas in May 2008. My fiance is getting stationed in Fort Hood and I would love to find an affordable, but nice apartment nearby in a safe neighborhood. I have a two year old daughter and I need to find a daycare nearby also. If anyone can help please feel free to respond....thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 02:27 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,376,939 times
hey there! welcome to Texas! i am moving to Ft Hood area next month, will be working on Ft Hood. i just went this week to find me a rental house. i drove around everywhere. i knew one thing-i was NOT going to live in Killeen under any circumstance (too busy, too congested, too citi-fied). though i really wanted to rent a home in Lampasas or Gatesville, i had little luck finding what i wanted (in rentals), so will have to wait a year until i am ready to buy in the country. i did find a very nice house with fireplace, great backyard view of nothing but hill country and wildlife, in the very southern edge of Copperas Cove, almost in Lampasas County. absolutely beautiful, and seems like a very nice quiet neighborhood.
i dont know about apartments, but you can look at the Ft Hood rentals list they have in Housing office on post, or if you want to browse online, go to Killeen Daily Herald and look at Ft Hood rentals link.
i think you would like Copperas Cove alot more than Killeen, if you want something smaller and definitely safer. there are apartments, duplexes, triplex's, quadruplex's and every kind of rental you could want in the Cove........
good luck!

Old 09-20-2007, 10:25 PM

52,683 posts, read 47,932,189 times
Smile Howdy -- Welcome to Texas

I just want to say 'Howdy' to you and yours. Welcome to the great state of Texas. You'll enjoy this place. You'll see the friendliest people and taste the very best food. And you'll see so many fantastic places and things, and you won't know where to begin. Hope your first experience with Texas will be the greatest ever!

Old 10-05-2007, 10:22 AM

3 posts, read 10,829 times
thanks for the response

Old 10-06-2007, 03:49 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,311,177 times
I was stationed at Hood for 4yrs. I would have to say you should probably avoid Killeen, though that's where we lived, it is kinda dumpy and probably by far the highest crime in the area.

When I was stationed there I was supporting a family of 4 on less than $1,000/month and base housing was full, so we didn't have many choices we had to rent a ghetto apt. near the base.

I would strongly suggest Belton, Lampassas, Copperas Cove, and if you don't mind the drive Temple (about 20min or so) or Salado. If you really want to get adventurous you could head further towards Austin. It all depends on what type of unit your husband is in, flexibility, etc. But I know a few people who did this, lived down in Austin, wife was able to get much better paying job and he just made the drive everyday. It's about 45min each way.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:20 AM

1 posts, read 3,684 times
Definitely Copperas Cove over Killeen - I've lived in both areas and Cove is better - HOWEVER the daycares in my opinion are pretty run down everywhere in this area. My 2 year old goes to Grace United Methodis (Wee Care) it is only part time but it is INCREDIBLE!!

Old 10-30-2007, 10:47 AM

3 posts, read 10,756 times
Welcome to Texas! My brother-in-law is stationed in Ft. Hood, and my sister works in Austin.. So they chose the Gatesville area. Relatively decent drive for both. They had a really hard time finding rentals though, so they ended up having to buy. Turned out for the best though. They don't have children so I have no input on childcare.. But they like Gatesville alot, like everyone else has said, I would avoid Killeen. Everyone that really knows the area is not a big fan of it.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:01 PM

Gatesville is GREAT. it was my number one choice but very hard to find decent rentals and am not ready to buy. so i chose Copperas Cove (but almost in Lampasas County, so almost country, and love it).......but will most likely buy in Gatesville or Pidcoke area in a year or two, whenever i am ready to buy. everyone i have talked to loves it there, and i have a coworker who lives there and loves it. i went there twice this weekend and have some great pics-will try to post them.
Gatesville drive to Ft Hood is about 30 minutes, you drive through the ranges, so no traffic (except a tank or two every now and then!).
Copperas Cove drive to Ft Hood aint bad like they said it would be, but then again, i dont have to PT so i dont drive in when all the active duty do, and therefore i get to use the Copperas Cove Tank Destroyer gate most of the time, so i dont have to drive HWY 190 at all to work!! how lucky can i get!
welcome to the Hood!!! it's a great place!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwal3 View Post
Welcome to Texas! My brother-in-law is stationed in Ft. Hood, and my sister works in Austin.. So they chose the Gatesville area. Relatively decent drive for both. They had a really hard time finding rentals though, so they ended up having to buy. Turned out for the best though. They don't have children so I have no input on childcare.. But they like Gatesville alot, like everyone else has said, I would avoid Killeen. Everyone that really knows the area is not a big fan of it.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:03 PM

Lampasas is kind of a long drive. Kempner would be better. Copperas Cove has some REAL nice areas....esp the western portion.
Morgan Point Resort is also a place to look at. Nolanville is another option.
But my votes are for Gatesville, Kempner, and Copperas Cove........

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAisGreat View Post
I was stationed at Hood for 4yrs. I would have to say you should probably avoid Killeen, though that's where we lived, it is kinda dumpy and probably by far the highest crime in the area.

When I was stationed there I was supporting a family of 4 on less than $1,000/month and base housing was full, so we didn't have many choices we had to rent a ghetto apt. near the base.

I would strongly suggest Belton, Lampassas, Copperas Cove, and if you don't mind the drive Temple (about 20min or so) or Salado. If you really want to get adventurous you could head further towards Austin. It all depends on what type of unit your husband is in, flexibility, etc. But I know a few people who did this, lived down in Austin, wife was able to get much better paying job and he just made the drive everyday. It's about 45min each way.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:36 PM

2 posts, read 9,924 times
Default Are you moving to Fort Hood-2008?

My husband and I have lived in the Fort Hood area for many years! He was a minister at First Baptist, Copperas Cove and I taught in Killeen for 12 years. We have a house for sale in Kempner. It is in a country neighborhood! I am posting the link to our realtor's site so that you can visit it! We have moved to North Texas and would love to sell our home to you! It is a 3 bedroom, 2.25 bathroom with 2 car garage home. It sits on a little more than 1 acre. It has ceramic tile in all rooms except the bedrooms. My favorite is the huge Garden Tub in the master bath. The master bath also has 2 large walk in closets and my daughter's room had a large walk in closet. Check out the posted link for pictures and more information! Please feel free to email if you have any questions!

http://colonialrealestate.cybersunshine.com/FH137060 (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas