Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2012, 11:41 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,344,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamTx View Post
It is true that the DFW area was one of the first in Texas to climb out of drought and even see some excess in reservoirs/lakes but moving beyond that, yes there have always been some 'greener' areas in Dallas like in 'South Dallas' and around White Rock Lake. However, that hideous barren prairie look is very evident off the Tollway in Plano/Frisco and in the Las Colinas area. Dallas in many respects lies in a transition zone where the East Texas woods meet the open prairie. That first pic above is off of I-45 in the Trinity floodplain area and yes it is greener but you would not want to get out of your car there. Second pic is off I-20 east of 45 over the might Trinity. That land is undeveloped and void of any symblance of civilization.
Well, actually, I think the East Texas woods end way before you get into Dallas. In fact, I believe it's only the far eastern stretches of the metro that can be considered ET. DFW just seems to be a typical central US prairie/woodland mix.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:44 AM

12,498 posts, read 27,001,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Well, actually, I think the East Texas woods end way before you get into Dallas. In fact, I believe it's only the far eastern stretches of the metro that can be considered ET. DFW just seems to be a typical central US prairie/woodland mix.
None of the D/FW Metroplex is in the Piney Woods or East Texas.

That's just wrong on every level to say something like that.

East Texas starts right around Athens, Canton, Sulphur Springs, Palestine, & Paris using Highway 19's north to south extension as a fairly accurate dividing line.

Terrell looks nothing like East Texas. It is very open, parched, barren, & paved over prairie with concrete. The houses are crammed together as if from a cookie cutter, treeless lawns & Lowes, an outlet mall, & an interstate as your neighbor. Typical of what you find in the rest of North Texas.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 06-29-2012 at 12:00 PM..

Old 06-29-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
None of the D/FW Metroplex is in the Piney Woods or East Texas.

That's just wrong on every level to say something like that.

East Texas starts right around Athens, Canton, Sulphur Springs, Palestine, & Paris using Highway 19's north to south extension as a fairly accurate dividing line.

Terrell looks nothing like East Texas. It is very open, parched, barren, & paved over prairie with concrete. The houses are crammed together as if from a cookie cutter, treeless lawns & Lowes, an outlet mall, & an interstate as your neighbor. Typical of what you find in the rest of North Texas.
I said "I believe". I never said I was certain of it. Calm down.

In actuality, Delta County tends to be considered part of East Texas. That's according to Wikipedia, though.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:50 PM

6,697 posts, read 9,952,165 times
Quote:
I said "I believe". I never said I was certain of it. Calm down.

In actuality, Delta County tends to be considered part of East Texas. That's according to Wikipedia, though.
I know people from Delta County, they consider themselves East Texans. Even Hunt County is considered East Texas, Texas A&M-Commerce was once called East Texas State University.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
It hasn't always been that way. I'd say just within the past decade is when Dallas starting becoming more "open" & accepting towards gays to let them run for local positions.

Houston has had far less Republican mayors over the years than Dallas has. That is a fact. Not a single one elected since the early 80's. Dallas is at best a mixed bag while Houston is a straight up Democratic/Liberal city. Depening on what side of town you're on you could smoke a blunt with a cop driving by & not give a damn.

Dallas Mayors

2011-present Mike Rawlings D
2007-2011 Tom Leppert R
2002-2007 Laura Miller D
1995-2002 Ron Kirk D
1991-1995 Steve Bartlett R
1987-1991 Annette Strauss ?
1983-1987 Starke Taylor R
1981-1983 Jack Wilson Evans R

Houston Mayors

2010-? Annise Parker (first Lesbian mayor in US history) D
2004-2010 Bill White D
1998-2004 Lee Brown D
1992-1998 Bob Lanier D
1982-1992 Kathy Whitmire D
1978-1982 Jim McConn R

Dallas is backwards in the sense they're still worried about their young Black youth sagging their pants & passing a law to make it a crime 20 years after the fact.
First of all only one city council member has a problem with it.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:06 PM

I've never seen a group of people argue over the amount of trees in a certain area. Do you guys have anything else to argue about? I've never heard anyone in DFW complain about the tree coverage or trees itself. I guess people just don't care. If I tried to make a conversation about trees with my friends they would look at me crazy. I'm sure that's how a vast majority of the people feel in DFW.

Last edited by Dallaz; 06-29-2012 at 03:25 PM..

Old 06-29-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
I've never seen a group of people argue over the amount of trees in a certain area? Do you guys have anything else to argue about? I've never heard anyone in DFW complain about the tree coverage or trees itself. I guess people just don't care. If I tried to make a conversation about trees with my friends they would look at me crazy. I'm sure that's how a vast majority of the people feel in DFW.
To each his own. Some things are more important to some people.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
To each his own. Some things are more important to some people.
Yeah, but trees isn't one of them.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:47 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,959,819 times
Quote:
I've never seen a group of people argue over the amount of trees in a certain area. Do you guys have anything else to argue about? I've never heard anyone in DFW complain about the tree coverage or trees itself. I guess people just don't care. If I tried to make a conversation about trees with my friends they would look at me crazy. I'm sure that's how a vast majority of the people feel in DFW.
You must have some cool friends. Me and one of my friends got into a discussion about trees when we were driving to Houston and hit the piney woods. "Only thing good about Houston is the trees, they're pretty'' she said and then we talked about trees for a bit. Only things you seem interesting must be discussed I guess, even though you partake in these discussions anyway.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Yeah, but trees isn't one of them.
Speak for yourself. Some of us are very fond of nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas