Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 09:34 PM

52,691 posts, read 47,963,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptran33 View Post
Hello everyone. Thank you all for your input.

We lived in Orlando, FL over 10 yrs, and we had enough of HIGH CRIME, LOW PAY JOBS, AND MESSY HOUSING MARKET...
We are thinking to move to TX. Please tell me which area that best for us (Dallas, Fort Worth, Arlington, Garland or Houston) base on school information(we had 9 and 11 kids) jobs (I work in IT field) housing (low crime, tax, new development suburb etc.) We are planning to take 1 week trip (next month) to check out these areas. However, your input is much better because you know these area inside out. Please help us to narrow our quest. Thank you again for your help.

PT
If it's high tech you're looking for, you'd be best served in the Austin area. At any rate, you are moving to Texas, and you'll find the friendliest people on Earth right here. Hope you have a great time with your search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 11:51 PM

925 posts, read 1,228,076 times
Actually, she'd be better served in Dallas first and foremost. However she could get a job in the tech sector in any of the big four metros.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:33 AM

12 posts, read 31,981 times
With your background in IT and real estate, I think you could find work in any of the areas you mentioned. I'm not sure how the real estate market is in DFW area currently, but the Hill Country and Houston are still booming.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,530 times
Default I know where you should live in Texas because I moved from Deland, FL to Texas

I also moved from Florida to Texas. If you have young childen then Grapevine, Texas is wonderful. It is right by a beautiful lake. Housing is afforadable. Crime is non-existant. We don't even lock our doors---hard to believe. The schools here are excellent with Carroll ISD and Grapevine/Colleyville also excellent. There is also a wonderful town square about 3 minutes away. Check out Southlake, Texas town square.

JB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptran33 View Post
Hello everyone. Thank you all for your input.

We lived in Orlando, FL over 10 yrs, and we had enough of HIGH CRIME, LOW PAY JOBS, AND MESSY HOUSING MARKET...
We are thinking to move to TX. Please tell me which area that best for us (Dallas, Fort Worth, Arlington, Garland or Houston) base on school information(we had 9 and 11 kids) jobs (I work in IT field) housing (low crime, tax, new development suburb etc.) We are planning to take 1 week trip (next month) to check out these areas. However, your input is much better because you know these area inside out. Please help us to narrow our quest. Thank you again for your help.

PT

Old 12-04-2007, 02:55 PM

219 posts, read 811,219 times
I am going to be the devil's advocate here. I have lived in Texas for 20 years and Texas has a high crime rate...very high. The water in Texas is...well...gross. Only way to really put it. I have only been living here because my wife wanted to stay due to her Father and his illness. That is over with now and we are moving very soon. The scenery is very bland compared to more northern states also. If you MUST move to Texas I agree with Sugar Land. Still no where near as pretty as northern states but crime is pretty low. Keep in mind where most of the crime comes from in Orlando..I am sure you know. Now remember where Texas borders. That is where most of the crime originates from in a way. Tons of illegals and tons of drugs coming from the border. Before you ask; no I am not predudice. My wife is hispanic. You basically have the same crime in Texas as in Florida.

Old 12-04-2007, 03:10 PM

384 posts, read 1,581,506 times
Quote:
The water in Texas is...well...gross. Only way to really put it.
The water in the San Marcos-New Braunfels area looks just fine to me (and the Austin-San Antonio corridor in general seems more "scenic" than
the other parts of the state that I've seen).
What part of Texas has the gross water ?

Old 12-04-2007, 03:43 PM

176 posts, read 632,064 times
Every Texan I've ever met in Oregon says has complained about the water up here being polluted as compared to TX. I have no idea where they've been trying to swim though...plenty of clean waters here, even though most of them are so cold you don't want to swim in them for long even in the summer.

Old 12-04-2007, 03:48 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbain View Post
I am going to be the devil's advocate here. I have lived in Texas for 20 years and Texas has a high crime rate...very high. The water in Texas is...well...gross. Only way to really put it. I have only been living here because my wife wanted to stay due to her Father and his illness. That is over with now and we are moving very soon. The scenery is very bland compared to more northern states also. If you MUST move to Texas I agree with Sugar Land. Still no where near as pretty as northern states but crime is pretty low. Keep in mind where most of the crime comes from in Orlando..I am sure you know. Now remember where Texas borders. That is where most of the crime originates from in a way. Tons of illegals and tons of drugs coming from the border. Before you ask; no I am not predudice. My wife is hispanic. You basically have the same crime in Texas as in Florida.
Water in certain areas can be bad, but it's not that way statewide.

I grew up in rural WT......in a small town. We had the best water (city water, not well) I have ever had. Sis lives outside of Austin, and is on a community well, and has excellent water. So it depends on where you are. To say that all Texas water is bad is just totally untrue.

Having said that, there ARE places in TX where the water is not fit to drink from the tap....Lubbock, Midland, Odessa, Rankin.....all really bad.

It's equally bad where I am now (south central NM), so I have both a water softener and RO drinking water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas