Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which major Texas city is best prepared for growth?
Houston 41 39.42%
San Antonio 12 11.54%
DFW 37 35.58%
Austin 0 0%
Why is Austin in this thread? 14 13.46%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 01:26 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,487,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apm193 View Post
Which is exactly why they need to expand the highways.
Txdot has really done a good job of brainwashing people. You can keep expanding the highways, but it won't solve the problem. All it does is encourage more sprawl, and your back to where you were before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
That's cool.

Get at me when Austin finally gets an international airport & a few foreign embassies.

Oh...& manageable traffic on I-35.
I think that was his point. Austin is going to grow, no matter what. Austin was not prepared for their growth. Austins attitude seems to be, "Austin was better when it had less people". Well, too bad people are going to move to Austin whether Austinites like it or not, so it's time to get serious about planning where you want all the future transplamove to move. Hopefully, a lot will choose the city instead of sprawling all over the hill country, but that won't happen unless Austin develops a larger core.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
My friends in Brazoria County say that's already happening, with Houstonians starting to buy up River front property for weekend homes or moving down and commuting into Houston. I grew up in Brazoria and Houston is only ant. 45 minutes from Lake Jackson, no worse than a commute from anywhere else around the city.
Southwest Houston is growing like crazy. Even out toward Rosharon. Before long Angleton will be like Katy, or Sugarland. That 45 minutes will probaly double in time.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
This reads like someone who hasn't been to Houston. Both cities are just building different. Houston has a much larger and more dense urban core, so connecting it all will take longer. Downtown and Uptown Dallas are just so tiny physically. I don't even think Uptown Dallas is as large as Midtown Houston. East Downtown Houston today look completely different than ten years ago. Then just outside of Downtown, on the east side next to the dynamo stadium, you have an area that is completely transforming. And this is just immediately around Downtown, not including other areas like the Museum District, Rice Military, etc. And even through all the corruption and bs from politicians, metro is currently building three light rail lines in the core.
Uptown and downtown are not the only hot spots for urban growth in Dallas. We have many emerging neighborhoods: The Design District, The Cedars, Northern Oak Lawn, Parkland/UT southwestern, Oak Cliff/The Bishop Arts District, Knox/Henderson, lower Greenville, and all over east Dallas. Not to mention, all the new urban developments popping up all over the suburbs.

Here's a map showing some of the current projects:
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...fa64c3b088f053

Old 02-10-2013, 06:44 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,762,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
That's cool.

Get at me when Austin finally gets an international airport & a few foreign embassies.

Oh...& manageable traffic on I-35.
Good lord...do you actually read and think before posting or do you just knee-jerk react?

The point I was making was that Austin is booming (undeniably true by any metric) and wishing it was still a college town is not a prescription for handling growth.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:27 AM

3,266 posts, read 5,634,301 times
I hate these "Ford/Chevy" or "my dad can beat up your dad" wars here ... especially between DFW and Houston.

Having said that what is Dallas' plans for water in the future? They already have periodic water rationing even with the pipe line from Lake Fork. Doesn't that seem like a limiting factor?

Old 02-10-2013, 08:41 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,774,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
I think that was his point. Austin is going to grow, no matter what. Austin was not prepared for their growth. Austins attitude seems to be, "Austin was better when it had less people". Well, too bad people are going to move to Austin whether Austinites like it or not, so it's time to get serious about planning where you want all the future transplamove to move. Hopefully, a lot will choose the city instead of sprawling all over the hill country, but that won't happen unless Austin develops a larger core.
Agreed, but this is already happening all over Austin...the problem is it's many years too late so some of the problems that would have been headed off by forward thinking 5 yrs ago have already happened, or are imminent.

I live in a small place on South Lamar Blvd in Austin, one of the cities main targets for core growth, and the transformation that has happened in the last couple years is remarkable. What was formerly a bunch of crumbling auto body shops or muffler repair joints has made way (literally) to mixed-use development...seemingly on every block.

Apartment Community Details - Post Apartment Homes - Furnished and Unfurnished Apartments
Gibson Flats | Ardent Residential
Lamar Plaza, 01.02.13 | www.statesman.com
The 704 | Amstar |*Amstar

Old 02-10-2013, 08:54 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,762,489 times
DFW and it isn't even close, Houston area can't even provide adequate LEO coverage for the area it has right now for Christ sake lol Don't get me started on the freeway infrastructure and lack of Public transportation.

Houston area has too many unincorporated areas with lack of planing, zoning, public service and little tax base to keep up. DFW compose of a bunch of fully functioning cities with better roads and infrastructure.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:52 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,502,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
I hate these "Ford/Chevy" or "my dad can beat up your dad" wars here ... especially between DFW and Houston.

Having said that what is Dallas' plans for water in the future? They already have periodic water rationing even with the pipe line from Lake Fork. Doesn't that seem like a limiting factor?
I read this whole thread before posting and Bob you have hit it out of the park with this observation. Water will be the single most important factor in the growth of urban Texas and who has adequate water supplies will definitely have an advantage.

Wouldn't it be ironic if the very thing Houston is ridiculed for (humidity, rain) will end up being its saving grace?

Old 02-10-2013, 11:26 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
You seem to be comfusing which city has the most amenities in its core vs. which metro area is best suited to handle growth.
I was responding specifically to a post that said "It understands the urban core has to be revitalized and grown"... which I thought was at least part of the point of having everything central. Sports venues tend to spawn revitalization and other things nearby like restaurants, bars, new apartments, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas