Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 06:01 AM

52,691 posts, read 47,963,336 times

Advertisements

We're not crowded at all. Just come on over. Still plenty of room to wiggle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 01:33 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Much of Texas is very sparsely populated as you can see from this population density map.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:US...on-density.gif

List of U.S. states by population density - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

However, what Texas does not have much of is public land, places where anyone can go hunt, fish, camp without being surrounded by lots of other people.

This map shows public lands in green, note how little there is in Texas.

http://www.pewenvironment.org/upload...1505-RC(1).jpg
http://www.pewenvironment.org/news-r...sk-85899361611

Old 02-16-2013, 07:41 PM

57 posts, read 113,780 times
thanks for that map, that makes me feel right at home. sure less populated than my current residence. And yeah, the lack of public land isn't ideal, but private land/leases have their pro's too. I presume that the state parks/rivers/springs are pretty crowded then? In FL the springs are pretty much an amusement park on the weekends.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:48 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-bolt View Post
thanks for that map, that makes me feel right at home. sure less populated than my current residence. And yeah, the lack of public land isn't ideal, but private land/leases have their pro's too. I presume that the state parks/rivers/springs are pretty crowded then? In FL the springs are pretty much an amusement park on the weekends.

I have never noticed the state parks being overly crowded in Texas - other than some weekends in the summer, which would be the norm just about anywhere.

There are lots and lots of lakes and rivers in Texas and those sure do come in handy during the long hot summer! Though they aren't generally "public land" of course they're used by the general public. Water sports are a big, big thing in Texas.

And don't forget our Texas coastline!

Old 02-17-2013, 08:30 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,762,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Much of Texas is very sparsely populated as you can see from this population density map.

File:USA-2000-population-density.gif - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of U.S. states by population density - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

However, what Texas does not have much of is public land, places where anyone can go hunt, fish, camp without being surrounded by lots of other people.

This map shows public lands in green, note how little there is in Texas.

http://www.pewenvironment.org/upload...1505-RC(1).jpg
Maps: U.S. Public Lands Covered by H.R. 1505 - Pew Environment Group
The most strinking thing about that public lands map isn't how little there is in Texas but how much of the mountain west is public lands.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:38 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,863,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-bolt View Post
In north Texas at least, there are numerous Corp of Engineer lakes that provide not only our drinking water, but water entertainment as well. Some lakes are more popular for water skiing; others for sailing; most are used for fishing. In the summer, they can get pretty crowded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas