Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 08:50 PM

194 posts, read 524,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Lol @ Houston being more conservative than FW and Beaumont
This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 09:31 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times
Ok, so let me get this straight: Memphis TN, Birmingham AL, and Jackson MS are more liberal than Worcester, MA and Lowell, MA??? This list is hilarious.

Oh wait, Dallas is #206, and Plano next door is #5???

Interesting...

...and yes I will echo Houston being more than conservative than Beaumont and FW. Houston only voted for Obama twice, not that it means anything. LOL.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:10 AM

256 posts, read 541,403 times
Dallas more liberal than Austin

Very Interesting

Old 03-15-2013, 03:08 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downnice View Post
Dallas more liberal than Austin

Very Interesting
Although, really not that much of a stretch, when you think about it.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:54 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,978,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
For the record, this list measure which cities vote democrat the most vs. republican. I dont know if its fair to say that is a measure of liberal vs. conservative.
Exactly what I was thinking. Blacks in California voted by a large margin against a pro gay rights amendment there. They are more often than not social conservatives. So it's just not a liberal v conservative dynamic going on, but also a racial component.

Last edited by padcrasher; 03-15-2013 at 05:10 PM..

Old 03-15-2013, 07:59 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Given the list is about cities electing democrats vs. republicans, I can see Dallas being where it is. Now days you can't elect a republican to take out the trash for a city or countywide election.
You see, I think this is where the list is completely off.

Austin being the state capital is naturally going to be more liberal & tolerant than Dallas, especially given Dallas' extremely conservative past. Its also WAY more adherent to religion than Austin. Dallas is still a Southern Baptist strong hold, churches on almost every corner...literally. University of Dallas, DBU, SMU...all prominent Christian schools of the state & nation.

In Travis County getting caught with less than 1 ounce of Marijuana is a Class C Misdemeanor (traffic ticket) not punishable by jail time. In Dallas that would get you sent straight to jail. Never heard of people smoking dope on the courthouse steps of Dallas County I have heard of that in Austin & can totally believe it. Dallas & surrounding areas have nothing like Hippy Hollow where clothing is optional. Even the Houston Metro has a nude beach.

That said, Dallas may lean Democratic because of a growing minority population, but its hardly some Liberal oasis like Austin where you have young, college educated Whites voting Democratic.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 03-15-2013 at 08:12 PM..

Old 03-15-2013, 10:19 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
You see, I think this is where the list is completely off.

Austin being the state capital is naturally going to be more liberal & tolerant than Dallas, especially given Dallas' extremely conservative past. Its also WAY more adherent to religion than Austin. Dallas is still a Southern Baptist strong hold, churches on almost every corner...literally. University of Dallas, DBU, SMU...all prominent Christian schools of the state & nation.

In Travis County getting caught with less than 1 ounce of Marijuana is a Class C Misdemeanor (traffic ticket) not punishable by jail time. In Dallas that would get you sent straight to jail. Never heard of people smoking dope on the courthouse steps of Dallas County I have heard of that in Austin & can totally believe it. Dallas & surrounding areas have nothing like Hippy Hollow where clothing is optional. Even the Houston Metro has a nude beach.

That said, Dallas may lean Democratic because of a growing minority population, but its hardly some Liberal oasis like Austin where you have young, college educated Whites voting Democratic.
Well, actually there are two nudist colonies in the Dallas/Fort Worth area: one in Wise county and one in Kaufman county.

Now then, I actually do not consider Dallas a bastion of liberalness. Dallas has many liberal neighborhoods and many that aren't. What Dallas is, however, is a democrat bastion at least in 2012. It's as blue as the sky and no I don't think being democrat equals being liberal anymore than being republican means you're conservative.

As for the weed, no I have never seen or heard of anyone smoking weed on the courthouse steps in Dallas or Houston. I have, however, seen it first hand in Denton.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:35 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Well, actually there are two nudist colonies in the Dallas/Fort Worth area: one in Wise county and one in Kaufman county.

Now then, I actually do not consider Dallas a bastion of liberalness. Dallas has many liberal neighborhoods and many that aren't. What Dallas is, however, is a democrat bastion at least in 2012. It's as blue as the sky and no I don't think being democrat equals being liberal anymore than being republican means you're conservative.

As for the weed, no I have never seen or heard of anyone smoking weed on the courthouse steps in Dallas or Houston. I have, however, seen it first hand in Denton.
Denton tries to be liberal like Austin when in reality only the areas around the 2 college campuses are somewhat liberal...then again, what college town isn't? Other than that, Denton County is highly conservative like the rest of North Texas.

No one in their right mind would label the entire City or County of Denton as liberal. As far as same sex couples go you see way more women than you do men in Denton I've noticed & I'm there quite a bit. Just go into the local Target or sushi joint you'll see for yourself.

Never heard of those nudist colonies in North Texas. It must be new or something. You hear more about the ones in Central Texas & along the Gulf Coast between Galveston & South Padre.

Pretty soon all of Texas will have less strict laws regarding weed. They're talking about upping it to 2 ounces with a Class C & up to 3 offenses before you get into deep ****.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 03-15-2013 at 11:46 PM..

Old 03-17-2013, 03:38 PM

933 posts, read 1,533,618 times
the data used for this list is from 2004.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:42 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,318,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppingDFW View Post
the data used for this list is from 2004.
And then there's that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas