Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2013, 02:33 PM

112 posts, read 180,968 times

Advertisements

Whenever I visit a place I like to find the weird and wonderful. As I mentioned on another thread, I will be visiting Dallas, Austin, Houston, and San Antonio for 10 days in July. Also, a day trip to Fredricksburg is in order

Can anyone recommend any strange and wonderful places or shops to visit that most tourists wouldn't visit?

I already found out there is the museum of funeral history in Houston so that is a must. Will also visit a few graveyards and some new age shops. Other than that, I haven't been able to find other places to visit that are strange or wacky. Of course I will also visit some of the well known tourists spots as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 03:02 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,266,728 times
The face in Galveston - I have seen this at night so it is the real deal. But I think it's more of an anomaly in the surface rather than actually paranormal. Kind of like finding religious icons in a cheet-oh. Oh and Galveston and Kemah both have ghost tours. They are neat if you like history, but not really creepy at all.
Galveston, TX - UTMB Ghost Image

Not sure if you find bats creepy, but this is a load of fun to watch. Go early to get in the good seating closest to the cave:
Fredericksburg Texas Online - Bat Cave Old Tunnel Wildlife Management Area

And I've never been to these, but there are unexplained 'lights' in Saratoga Tx and Marfa Tx, but those may be out of your way. My cousin said they drove out to see the Saratoga lights, and she swears something chased them on the road.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_of_Saratoga
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marfa_lights

In San Antonio there is a road where you feel like you roll UP a hill:
http://www.weirdus.com/states/texas/...acks/index.php

Just an FYI - Ft Worth has more fun touristy stuff than Dallas.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:16 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,861,548 times
Miss Hattie's Bordello Museum | Forts Trail Region
Miss Hattie's Bordello Museum in San Angelo is a former bordello that was shut down in the 1940s and is now furnished as it was back in the heyday.

Texas Prison Museum
Texas Prison Museum in Huntsville

Old 04-05-2013, 05:01 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,861,069 times
There is a Stonehenge replica in Ingram. It is 90% as wide and 60% as tall as the original. The site also contains two replicas of Easter Island heads.
Stonehenge II and Easter Island Heads, Ingram, Texas

Old 04-05-2013, 08:18 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,050,022 times
Galveston is way up there for haunted/creepy spots.
There's a huge cemetery in Fredericksburg too, we were too scared to go to it at night!
Then, for pop culture creeps there's the "Texas Chainsaw" house in Kingsland.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:23 PM

292 posts, read 1,066,524 times
Beer Can House here in Houston

The Beer Can House : Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas