Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 01:05 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,981,030 times

Advertisements

Is another criterion being unable to spell or write your thoughts in complete sentences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 09:11 PM

346 posts, read 739,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edelweiss View Post
As a native Californian, I'm wondering about the whole culture of being a Texan... If we relocate to Texas, do I need to buy some boots? Does everyone in Texas own a pair of boots and a cowboy hat, or is that just a stereotype... I don't mean to offend! I am proud to have my roots in California, but I'm excited to adapt to a new way of life, new foods, new environment, etc.

I don't think I will like rodeo very much. Are there many anti-rodeo Texans? I know a few country songs, but I've never really listened to a country music station. I guess I will get used to this. Would Texans be able to spot a California transplant like me from a mile away?

P.S. we are thinking of moving to the Austin/San Antonio area, depends on where my husband finds a job. THANKS!!
there will be no difference at all. Both states have rural country areas, as well as urban areas.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:05 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,127,660 times
This is too funny! I am also a native Californian but I did/do most of what the OP was asking about Texas. I often listen to country music, wore boots and cowboy hats back in the days I used to ride (horses), and grew up going to rodeos. This was all in CA!

I went to school in Texas and will be returning when I retire in the next few years. I'm definitely looking forward to it!

Old 08-28-2011, 12:48 PM

795 posts, read 1,585,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skelaki View Post
This is too funny! I am also a native Californian but I did/do most of what the OP was asking about Texas. I often listen to country music, wore boots and cowboy hats back in the days I used to ride (horses), and grew up going to rodeos. This was all in CA!
Thats more common than alot of people realize. Alot of people stereotype California because of what they see on TV and its Hollywood image. But California has an old west history and in certain parts of California people do celebrate that culture and sport cowboy hats and go to the local rodeos, etc. Especially places like Bakersfield and even rural Northern California. But even Buena Park, CA. is where alot of stage coach robbers and outlaws hung out. Thats why Knotts Berry Farm has the stage coach robbery reinactments and has a cowboy theme to it. But all California is known for now is Hollywood and the LA scene along with the SoCal beaches and the surfer image. And as a result there are alot of ignorant stereotypes about California. Although with that being said California has now just become a cultural melting pot and has no distinct cultural image anymore.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:58 PM

1 posts, read 985 times
Like most people have said its just a big stereotype about the boots and hats. I've lived in Texas my whole life and because of the military I dont live there right now but i miss it dearly. Im from southern Texas and somewhat the "Hill Country" and i know a lot of people who own a pair of boots and a cowboy including myself. I dont wear it every day even when i did live it Texas but being from down south there are a lot of people with a lot of guns and big trucks to go mudding in. In the city areas you dont see any of that. Its alot of rock and other music even including that R&B hip-hop crap and yes people country is my life. I love the fact i can go in my back yard and fire off a few rounds into whatever i want with whatever weapon i got and no one will care. Anyways as someone has already said there is a big diversity here and you shouldn't have a problem unless you offend the wrong person. Some people take "Don't Mess with Texas" seriously.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:34 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,268,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two4damoney View Post
Thats more common than alot of people realize. Alot of people stereotype California because of what they see on TV and its Hollywood image. But California has an old west history and in certain parts of California people do celebrate that culture and sport cowboy hats and go to the local rodeos, etc. Especially places like Bakersfield and even rural Northern California. But even Buena Park, CA. is where alot of stage coach robbers and outlaws hung out. Thats why Knotts Berry Farm has the stage coach robbery reinactments and has a cowboy theme to it. But all California is known for now is Hollywood and the LA scene along with the SoCal beaches and the surfer image. And as a result there are alot of ignorant stereotypes about California. Although with that being said California has now just become a cultural melting pot and has no distinct cultural image anymore.
It's not just outsiders looking in at California, Californians them selves aren't aware of their Western History. I have had discussions with some who had no clue and went on and on about Texas and Cowboy boots etc. They got pretty quite once I started posting up California Cattle ranch pictures etc. It's as you say, they have become a cultural melting pot.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:58 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,165,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
It's not just outsiders looking in at California, Californians them selves aren't aware of their Western History.
Texans (or people who went to college in the state) may be more aware of the state's history than in other states. At one time Texas history was taught at the elementary level via a "comic book" approach. And unless the rules have changed lately, it used to be an undergrad requirement to take a semester (or was it a year?) of Texas History, regardless of the degree being pursued.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:04 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Just learn to call a lady "Ma'am" and take your hat off at the dinner table.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:30 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,966,582 times
Just learn to become delusional that everything Texan is better.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:45 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,707,699 times
We'll learn you real well, down here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas