Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 10:21 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,195 times

Advertisements

This thread is for you to list the ten Texas restaurants you must eat at once in your lifetime.

Rules:

1. The restaurant must be exclusive to Texas. Chains are okay as long as they only maintain Texas locations.

2. You must provide detail on why that restaurant should be on this list. At least a few sentences of summary.

3. List the town or city that the restaurant is located in.

4. DO NOT drool on your keyboard while writing in, or viewing this thread.

You may rank them in order or simply list them if you want. If you are ranking your's, then please signify that.

Here we go!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 11:06 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,451,968 times
These are all exclusive to Dallas
*Wolfgang Pucks 560 restaurant in Reunion Tower.
*Dallas Fish Market
*Asia Wok in BofA tower-The BEST ASIAN FOOD IN DALLAS!!!
*Neo Pizza-The Best Pizza in Dallas
*The French Room-The Best French Restaurant in Dallas
*Dallas Chop House-Dallas Bred
*Marianos-Invented the Margarita
*Jakes Burgers-The best Burgers in Dallas
*Charlie Palmers @the Joule

Old 04-16-2013, 11:22 AM

Well...here's my best shot.

I am not putting these in any order because it would be an injustice to all of these fine institutions.

1. Kreuz Barbecue/Smitty's BBQ Lockhart, Texas

Okay, I'm kind of cheating listing them both in one spot, but you know this list is going to be dominated by fine bbq establishments and we could feasibly use up half the list by putting in the Lockhart, and Luiling places plus Franklin's. Not much to say here that hasn't already been said in the numerous bbq threads. Melt-in-your-mouth brisket and delicious, flavorful hot sausage rings, what's there not to like here? The true pinnacle of bbq (I don't care what Memphis, Carolina, or Kansas City says. All that sauce they drown their meat in has probably gone to their heads ).

2. Cooper's Pit BBQ Llano, Texas

I'm putting this on the list because the style is different from your typical Central Texas barbecue. It is cooked using direct heat methods and they will dunk the meat in sauce if you want them too. But despite the fairly heretical nature of their practices, it's simply darn good meat! The location has as much to do with me listing it here, though. Nothing quite like a little drive through the Texas hill country on a cool, sunny, Saturday morning to enjoy cowboy style barbecue!

3. City Market Luiling, Texas

Sigh, I promise this is going to be my last barbecue joint (please forgive me, Aaron Franklin, but I can't turn my back on the old staples). I'd say that CM probably is a half a notch above the Lockhart places these days. I prefer their brisket to Smitty's and Kreuz, the sausage is about the same, but their ribs are out of this world! Truly one of the best.

4. Timmy Chan's Houston, Texas

If you're a huge hole-in-the-wall foodie or a fan of Texas rap, you've probably heard of this place. It's a Chinese restaurant, but it's mostly famous for it's fried chicken! You need to come here once, simply to enjoy the experience of getting six huge fried chicken wings and two pounds of shrimp fried rice for five dollars. These restaurants are usually located in areas that are considered "rough", but don't let that deter you. I assure you, everybody is too busy drooling over the poultry goodness to even be thinking about harming you.

5. Frenchy's Chicken Houston, Texas

Another Houston chain. While Timmy Chan's has good chicken, it's real big draw is the quantity and price. Frenchy's is all about the QUALITY. The crispy cajun-seasoned outside combined with the juicy soft inside makes this the best restaurant fried chicken that you're going to get in Texas. Period. Be sure to grab a side of cajun seasoned fries, pound cake, and red soda (what they call strawberry soda in those parts) before you leave. The locations are very similar to Timmy Chan's so the same applies, relax and enjoy!

6. Hoover's Cooking Austin, Texas

My home town hasn't made much of an appearance on this list. But this place is a gem. This is a comfort food haven. Hoover's serves up your very favorite southern comfort foods. For my money they have the best Chicken Fried Steak in Texas. They also smoke Elgin sausage, ribs, and chicken in house (BBQ style or Jaimaican Jerk style). The potato salad, candied yam's, and mashed potatoes are all excellent and their creole meat loaf is to die for. I also recommend trying some of their creative desserts like the banana cheesecake. They change regularly so be sure to ask your server what the day's offerings are.

7. Taqueria Datapoint San Antonio, Texas

I'm surprised it took this long to get to a Mexican food establishment. Mexican restaurants in Texas are like McDonalds. There's one on every corner. But if you want pure, no frills, authentic Mexican food then you have to take the trip to this little place in good old San Antone. Perfectly seasoned barbacoa and carnitas make for an otherworldly taco experience and they have the freshest guacamole I have ever eaten. Combine this with top notch enchilada's and you have a sure winner. Very little English is spoken here, so be prepared for that and enjoy your dining experience!

8. Dirty Martin's Austin, Texas

Not much to say here. If you want a good, greasy, delicious burger in a no frills atmosphere then Dirty's is for you. Located right on "the drag" by UT, Dirty's is a small, charming old institution that serves burgers and fries the way they should be. I'm sure other cities all have their equivalent, but in my experience as an Austinite and a UT alum, Dirty's is the epitome of burgers to me.

9. Perry's Austin, Texas

Honestly, not much separates Perry's from your typical upscale steakhouse in any large city, except one thing. The Friday pork chop lunch special! This isn't just any pork chop. It's the entire sugar glazed pig! The server carves it right in front of you and you get whipped mashed potatoes on the side. I'm telling you....this thing is big! But I'm not going to try to explain to you how big this thing is. Just google "perry's pork chop" and you can see for yourself. Oh, I almost forgot, all for the price of $12.50! Considering it's normally a 40 dollar per plate type of place, that's a steal.

10. Sweet Georgia Brown Bar-B-Que Dallas, Texas

Yea, I said I wasn't going to do another BBQ joint. Well guess what? Despite what the name says, this isn't a barbecue joint! This is what I once read a reviewer describe as a "soul food cathedral". And I agree! There's so much that I can say about this place. You enter the old building in South Oak Cliff and find yourself in a Luby's-style cafeteria line. You'll most likely hear gospel music playing over speakers or on the TV and will sometime seven hear the staff singing out loud with it (a refreshing thing to see considering the controversy surrounding public affirmation of one's religion these days). Avoid coming here after church on Sunday's unless you enjoy the smell of dumpsters, because that's how far out the door the line is going to go.

The food is simple, pure soul food (think of Hoover's...but a million times better!). Most meals here are going to revolve around an entree and three sides. For barbecue meats they provide brisket, sausage, and ribs (smothered in sauce if you want it that way). They're all very good! They won't make you write home if you're used to Central Texas barbecue, but you're going to be a very happy camper as you dig in to them. Not feeling like barbecue? That's fine, because the non-barbecue dishes are where this place really shines. Catfish, meat loaf, ox tail, turkey wings...it's all here and all perfectly seasoned! The sides are equally impressive. Honestly the best mac and cheese, candied, yams, collard greens, and potato salad I've had from any restaurant.

And the PORTIONS! I'm not going to go on about how much they give you. I'll just say this. I'm a 6'4 260 pound glutton of a man that polishes off a pound of brisket, four hot sausage rings, and a ton of white bread at any of the Central Texas barbecue establishments with ease. I've never finished a meal in one sitting at this place...it's just THAT much. Yeah, it's a rough neighborhood, but once again, don't let that deter you.

I could go on and on about this place, but that really isn't going to do it justice. If you put a gun to my head and forced me to pick a number one out of all these restaurants, I'd pick SGB. I'm putting it in bold because it's just that good. Seriously, people. Go here!

Last edited by UTHORNS96; 04-16-2013 at 11:50 AM..

Old 04-16-2013, 11:38 AM

96 posts, read 185,535 times
I like this. I am going to print this list and try to find some of these when we visit in June.

Any in small towns like Fredericksburg and Boerne that you recommend?

Old 04-16-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greengables View Post
I like this. I am going to print this list and try to find some of these when we visit in June.

Perhaps Altdorf Biergarten in Fredericksburg. It's kind of touristy, but it's pretty good German cuisine for Texas. Fredericksburg was one of the towns that German's immigrated to heavily back in the 19th Century. It also has a nice, outdoorsy atmosphere.

Fredericksburg really is a nice, charming little town.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:51 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,268,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greengables View Post

Fredericksburg has a lot of restaurants for it's size. A lot. August E's is really good. Also we love Bejas for breakfast. Fredericksburg is wonderful.

We stumbled on a little food cart that said "Chilitos" in an alley in Boerne. Excellent Cuban sandwiches. We are from the Houston area, so I'm guessing Chilitos is a restaurant in the SA area.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:12 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
Im going to try to spread the love around Texas based on some places that Ive eaten and loved. These are not in order from best to worse, just 10 of my favorites:

1) Bolsa-Dallas: The rabitt sausage is some of the best anything youll ever eat. Located in the Bishop Arts area.

2) Joe T Garcia's-Fort Worth: I dont care what anyone says, this is my favorite Tex-Mex of any place ever. The Margaritas and Chimichanga's are insanely delicious.

3) Kiki's Taco's-McAllen: Six Tacos for $4 and the pastor is cooked to perfection. Enough said.

4) Tandor Indian-Arlington: This is the single best Indian food I have ever eaten in any city in the US. There is a window into the kitchen where a man in a turban makes the naan fresh.

5) Pho Danh-Houston: My favorite Pho Ive ever had. Dont forgot the Vietnamese Iced Tea!

6) Chicos Tacos-El Paso: Rolled beef Tacos in the red sauce. Enough said!

7) Underbelly-Houston: The Pork Belly sliders!!! So freaking amazing!

8) Cuquitas-Farmers Branch: These are the single best enchiladas Ive ever had. Make sure to get it with the green sauce!

9) Hard 8-Brady: Best BBQ in Texas!

10) Brooklyn Athletic Club-Houston: This one is a Houston fixture. They have a very diverse and creative menu. The meatballs are amazing.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post

9) Hard 8-Brady: Best BBQ in Texas!
That's a very strong claim! What's their specialty? Are they more beef or pork based?

Old 04-16-2013, 12:41 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
That's a very strong claim! What's their specialty? Are they more beef or pork based?
Its beef based. The brisket is the specialty.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:12 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,982,801 times
And if you're ever traveling down I-20 between Tyler and Dallas, get off the interstate and head into downtown Van to The Dinner Bell (formerly Stoney's Dinner Bell for any natives)....best chicken fried steak and, on Fridays, fried catfish anywhere! They've been on Texas Country Reporter before, and at Christmas, Debbie puts up the most charming and ALWAYS different decorations in the front of the store. It is definitely a small-down diner, with the regulars going through many pots of coffee in the mornings!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas