Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 08:46 PM

252 posts, read 519,365 times

Advertisements

Hi I might be moving to South Texas. Specifically the rio grande valley area to attend college either at Edinburg or Brownsville. My grandma lives in Mcallen Texas, but strangely enough i have never visited her home town. Um I know the area is hispanic majority , i m half mexican / half irish but i look completely white . Is overall Edinburg , Brownsville safe , will there be a lot prejudice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 10:18 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,262,684 times
Overall, UT-Pan Am in Edinburg is a better area than UT-Brownsville. McAllen and Edinburg are overall very clean. UT-Brownsville is a block and a half from Mexico. I'm sure there are nice parts of Brownsville, but if you're unsure which school is better for you academically, or if you are unsure of your major, I would definitely go with Ut Pan Am. I am Boston born, almost all Irish a an eighth English and have spent some time in the area. Never have I faced any prejudice. You should be fine especially in the college environment.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:19 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,955,202 times
You should be as safe as you would be anywhere else in the US. For whatever reason, I get the impression that there a lot of people that think the RGV is just a smattering of dusty colonias, with lurching bands of thieves & bloodthirsty sadists bent on grabbing anyone that looks different.
UTPA would be my preference over UTB. Proximity to Mexico really has nothing to do with the school. Just stay on this side, & you should be fine.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:55 AM

40 posts, read 65,570 times
UTPA is much better. UTB just split with TSC so they are going through a transitional times. UTB has the beach close by.

UTPA's area has much more to do compared to UTB.

I don't believe you will see any prejudice. There are many races in the valley but like you know, it's mostly hispanic. It really helps to know Spanish in either area but many people don't speak it.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:40 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,262,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
You should be as safe as you would be anywhere else in the US. For whatever reason, I get the impression that there a lot of people that think the RGV is just a smattering of dusty colonias, with lurching bands of thieves & bloodthirsty sadists bent on grabbing anyone that looks different.
UTPA would be my preference over UTB. Proximity to Mexico really has nothing to do with the school. Just stay on this side, & you should be fine.
http://www.brownsvilleherald.com/articles/building-102000-university-bullets.html

...well, most of the time anyway.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:25 PM

Meh. Happened in El Paso at UTEP. Also happened at my Mom's house in an upscale area of Memphis. At least if it's coming over the border, the velocity will be decreased.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:57 PM

398 posts, read 1,417,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post

Penn state's coach was a pedophile that raped kids in the locker room showers.

32 people died in a shooting at Virginia Tech.

University of Alabama... professor killed 3 colleagues

etc.. etc..

Old 03-24-2013, 07:21 AM

4 posts, read 6,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
Meh. Happened in El Paso at UTEP. Also happened at my Mom's house in an upscale area of Memphis. At least if it's coming over the border, the velocity will be decreased.

Haha.,.yes, if you have been to Memphis, you realize what "another country" would look like if it existed inside the US. Other than Graceland, Memphis is a dump.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:36 AM

360 posts, read 1,088,028 times
Lived in McAllen in the early 90's for two years. I met terrific people there, and I met some serious racists too. Overall it was a positive experience except I couldn't take the summers. The food is great! And it has developed quite a bit since I left. If I had known Barnes&Noble would come there I'd have stayed. The young ladies there can be extraordinarily pretty. Good luck!

Old 03-25-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantexan View Post
The food is great! And it has developed quite a bit since I left. If I had known Barnes&Noble would come there I'd have stayed. The young ladies there can be extraordinarily pretty. Good luck!
Well--the food's pretty bad, now! If you haven't been here since the 90s, you'd definitely be in for a shock. It's grown exponentially since then. And there are TWO B&N here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas