Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 10:15 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,977,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
As far as I'm concerned, the Republicans who are in the State Capitol tonight have just lost their privileges to call themselves Texans, because they have tarnished the State and that's unacceptable.

And I'm not a Democrat, but right is right, and they're so far out of touch with reality that it's embarrassing.
They started forgetting about Texans about 2 elections back. I have my own theories on the why but its irrelevant because none of the Representatives show up working on issues for Texans. No one will touch school finance, the insurance companies got a lock on higher than the national average for Texas homeowners, and today they are making decisions about the health of Texas women. No one wants to regulate ammonium nitrate so 12 firefighters die - the State agencies don't touch it because it may be bad for business.

The most frustrating thing is the voters seem apathetic. May be all these transplants can survive a few summers and bring their votes next election.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:22 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,447,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car957 View Post
They started forgetting about Texans about 2 elections back. I have my own theories on the why but its irrelevant because none of the Representatives show up working on issues for Texans. No one will touch school finance, the insurance companies got a lock on higher than the national average for Texas homeowners, and today they are making decisions about the health of Texas women. No one wants to regulate ammonium nitrate so 12 firefighters die - the State agencies don't touch it because it may be bad for business.

The most frustrating thing is the voters seem apathetic. May be all these transplants can survive a few summers and bring their votes next election.
As long as they're not the ones who move here and then try to make Texas just like where they escaped from. Otherwise, frying pan, fire, comes to mind.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:45 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,753,021 times
My take is that abortion is murder, but is a necessary evil, and Wendy is grandstanding to further her future political ambitions just like Rand Paul did recently in the US Senate.

I wish her luck. She will need it. It will be easy for her opponents to drape the horror stories coming out of Houston around her neck and she will have no place to hide. It was a dumb move politically on her part. And this is not the place to make a stand.

Population genetics says that even with very low heritability, it only takes a maximum of six generations to fix a trait. Women and men who tolerate abortions are on the losing side of the math. They will just get bred out. Texas is an extremely fertile state.

Those who claim the GOP is out of touch just live in a bubble. This issue cuts across party lines in both directions. I know progressives who want greater regulation of abortion and rural conservatives who do not want this bill. Even national polls show us split.

The Gosnell trial was a huge story. Abortion providers are highly unregulated and need more oversight. This bill is a reaction to that more than anything else. As news mounts of the many cases of appalling conditions and actions in the abortion industry, more bills like this will come forth. What Wendy could have done was be for tighter regulation of clinics. By reacting this way, she is behind the curve and looks silly.

Even the ultra liberal DMN has paused to consider its abortion no matter what stance.

Disturbing Texas abortion story that’s probably news to you, even after media’s Kermit Gosnell sensitivity | Opinion Blog

Old 06-25-2013, 10:53 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,753,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car957 View Post
They started forgetting about Texans about 2 elections back. I have my own theories on the why but its irrelevant because none of the Representatives show up working on issues for Texans. No one will touch school finance, the insurance companies got a lock on higher than the national average for Texas homeowners, and today they are making decisions about the health of Texas women. No one wants to regulate ammonium nitrate so 12 firefighters die - the State agencies don't touch it because it may be bad for business..
Riight. You have no idea when it comes to school finance and the grand compromise that was put into place and its huge success. You have no idea how expensive hail storms are for home insurance. You have no idea when it comes to fertilizer dealers or what is regulated or not regulated. You have no idea just how healthy state finances are or how well Texas is being managed for growth. You have no idea the pain this state went through in the 80s and how that shaped several generations of politics. Or just how corrupt the democrats were and how many of them left the party in disgust.

You just spout the lines you read somewhere rather than understand the facts or try to understand things. Your view is a typical New England Puritan view of politics and the role of the state. Its so narrow as to be completely irrelevant when it comes to Texas politics which are primarily populist, based on broad coalitions, and pluralistic.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:02 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,977,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
Riight. You have no idea when it comes to school finance and the grand compromise that was put into place and its huge success. You have no idea how expensive hail storms are for home insurance. You have no idea when it comes to fertilizer dealers or what is regulated or not regulated. You have no idea just how healthy state finances are or how well Texas is being managed for growth. You have no idea the pain this state went through in the 80s and how that shaped several generations of politics. Or just how corrupt the democrats were and how many of them left the party in disgust.

You just spout the lines you read somewhere rather than understand the facts or try to understand things. Your view is a typical New England Puritan view of politics and the role of the state. Its so narrow as to be completely irrelevant when it comes to Texas politics which are primarily populist, based on broad coalitions, and pluralistic.
I don't need your narrow mind or keyboard prowess. You are assigning me with labels without knowing me or even having a discussion. Another late night keyboard warrior. Good Lord, I am licensed Engineer in Texas and serve on Texas Task Force 1, a Urban Search and Rescue Team. Please go outside, observe the weather, and issue a full report in this forum. I am excited to hear your observations, although I believe I have already predicted it.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:33 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,851,913 times
Hmm their are a lot of angry Texas women today. I think this smells trouble for the Republican Party. Why would the Republican Party go through such drastic links to anger women? This is downright political suicide on their behalf.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:14 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,039,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
The bill is absolutely way out there--while abortions should be restricted time-wise (unless for medical/health reasons), this goes way too far.

The remark by Laubenberg was so ignorant and stupid that it took my breath away. Can anybody really be that damn dumb? *Whew*......and I'm a lifelong registered Republican, too. My gawd......
What did Lautenberg say?

Old 06-26-2013, 12:48 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,549,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonaZoo View Post
Abortion is so fundamentally wrong. My God, are there any pro-life folks left out there?
Whether right or wrong, it's not a function of government to decide anything about pregnancy. If you grant a government the right to restrict abortion, you also grant it the right to force abortion.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:01 AM

591 posts, read 822,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I'm here.
As we Rhode Islanders say, "God love ya, honey!"

Old 06-26-2013, 01:07 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,433,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonaZoo View Post
Abortion is so fundamentally wrong. My God, are there any pro-life folks left out there?
I agree, and I'm not on her side of the issue, but I still admire her determination. I wish people on the conservative side of issues had the same huevos more often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas