Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metro area feels larger?
Dallas MSA 32 37.65%
Houston MSA 48 56.47%
Tie 5 5.88%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 09:15 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,136,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
You won't see any sexually oriented businesses next to churches in Big D. You will in Houston.
You have mentioned this before and were proven wrong. I agree with the comment that this is a bad thing and thankfully doesn't exist in Houston, either. I have been waiting for a month for you to show one single instance of this anywhere in Houston and you cannot.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:24 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,376,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Southeast Texas counties are larger than north Texas counties. Urban areas are best to look at.
That's the same way I perceive city populations. As comparisons can be deceptive due to how the size of city limits vary.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:29 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,136,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
You have mentioned this before and were proven wrong. I agree with the comment that this is a bad thing and thankfully doesn't exist in Houston, either. I have been waiting for a month for you to show one single instance of this anywhere in Houston and you cannot.
I'd like to make this point very clear to you. Before, I gave you the benefit of the doubt that you were merely mistaken, because you didn't understand how even a city without zoning laws would have protections in the form of laws and ordinances to regulate certain types of development. I showed you how this is the case in Houston with respect to churches, bars, sexually oriented businesses, etc. As a matter of fact, Dallas is well known to have more lax city ordinances with regard to SOBs than Houston.

With that knowledge in hand, you continue this bizarre campaign of misinformation. You are no longer mistaken. Now you are simply lying.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:01 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
People always seem to say this but it really doesn't make sense...Explain how this happens?...If anything the city of Dallas targets run down areas and clean them up...All of the most run down parts of Dallas all have extensive revitalization plans with most already under construction or finished..So what happens is you visit Dallas and notice a run down hood and the next time you visit...that same area you remember is all cleaned up now...which I guess provokes the sweeping under the rug notation...IDK..Im asking?

Dallas has plenty of run down areas. They may be better kept and less run down than Houston's, but they do exist. Dallas has a way of building new developments primarily right in the immediate vicinity of the freeways, but they do still have their rougher neighborhoods tucked away. That's where the "sweeping under the rug" scenario comes from.

Kudos to Dallas for being able to do this well.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:19 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,947,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
Dallas has plenty of run down areas. They may be better kept and less run down than Houston's, but they do exist. Dallas has a way of building new developments primarily right in the immediate vicinity of the freeways, but they do still have their rougher neighborhoods tucked away. That's where the "sweeping under the rug" scenario comes from.

Kudos to Dallas for being able to do this well.
I guess none of you have been south of Downtown.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
??? Whaat ???

That's where the majority of Dallas's rundown areas are. That's another example of how Dallas is good at tucking them away. Don't know what your point was, but you helped further mine. Thanks, charity is always appreciated.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
??? Whaat ???

That's where the majority of Dallas's rundown areas are. That's another example of how Dallas is good at tucking them away. Don't know what your point was, but you helped further mine. Thanks, charity is always appreciated.
How can it be tucked away when a vast majority of it is out in the open. The majority of the Interstates are there (35, 45, and 20) so how are we hiding anything? To get to San Antonio, Austin, and Houston you have to go through it.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:39 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times
Quote:
Yep....the exact areas I was speaking on. South Dallas,Pleasant Grove and South oak Cliff have nice plans in place and are really starting to build up and fill in. The "Bexar Street Corridor" is a perfect example of the vision for South Dallas. The "Lancaster Corridor" which is under construction will be a MAJOR catylist for serious development in South oak cliff. We are only at the tip of the iceberg in developing the "Southern Sector" But its definately only gonna pick up steam from here....starting with the 4 Diamond golf course thats about to be constructed in Pleasant Grove.....Wonderful years ahead for allas

Old 07-23-2013, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Yep....the exact areas I was speaking on. South Dallas,Pleasant Grove and South oak Cliff have nice plans in place and are really starting to build up and fill in. The "Bexar Street Corridor" is a perfect example of the vision for South Dallas. The "Lancaster Corridor" which is under construction will be a MAJOR catylist for serious development in South oak cliff. We are only at the tip of the iceberg in developing the "Southern Sector" But its definately only gonna pick up steam from here....starting with the 4 Diamond golf course thats about to be constructed in Pleasant Grove.....Wonderful years ahead for allas
Yeah, I looked into all of that and it sounds good. We need to really build out that area because it alone could hold at least half a million people, considering that it covers more land than Seattle and Atlanta.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:08 AM

Quote:
How can it be tucked away when a vast majority of it is out in the open. The majority of the Interstates are there (35, 45, and 20) so how are we hiding anything? To get to San Antonio, Austin, and Houston you have to go through it.
It may be out in the open, but it sits right outside of the main parts of the city. And the area appears very rural and is kind of covered behind trees, sometimes, I forget that's even apart of Dallas. Once you hit downtown dallas coming from the south, there's long stretches of new development lining the freeways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas