Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 02:10 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,804,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Ok I haven't ever heard or used tump but I've definitely heard those sayings.
LoL... I have to admit, I've heard of "tumped it over", too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 10:55 PM

189 posts, read 914,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2sa View Post
I have another one:

"It's a wonder"

as in: "It's a wonder he didn't cut his finger clean off!"

Hmmm... maybe that's two with "clean off"

Oh well, let's go for three: "He was running around like a chicken with his head cut off!"

Now, I personally have never seen a chicken with its' head cut off, but I'm guessing they must run around.

While I never have or ever will use the word "tumped", I have used all three of the above phrases in my conversation since I was small. My parents used them and my grandparents used them. I guess that I will continue to use them, especially my favorite "He was running around like a chicken with his head cut off."

Old 12-11-2007, 04:23 PM

52,691 posts, read 47,963,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolmcb View Post
While I never have or ever will use the word "tumped", I have used all three of the above phrases in my conversation since I was small. My parents used them and my grandparents used them. I guess that I will continue to use them, especially my favorite "He was running around like a chicken with his head cut off."
I reckon.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:51 AM

870 posts, read 3,082,443 times
Default ???

No one here has ever heard of "Fair to Midland". I heard that all the time when I lived in TX. And even said it, myself. I guess here, I would hafta say "Purt near fair to Kansas City"?!?!?

Old 12-12-2007, 08:17 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
I've heard "fair to middlin' "

Old 01-07-2008, 04:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,674 times
Default Southern accents

I grew up in the hills of East Tennessee and moved to Boise, Idaho when I was 21. When I went on job interviews, the person on the other side of the desk always smiled at me like they were just "humoring" me. They probably weren't listening to what I said - just how I said it. Eleven years later, I moved to Seattle, Washington. By southern standards, most of the accent was gone, but they sure noticed it.

I found there was a mix of opinions as to whether it was considered "uneducated", totally weird, or just plain cute. I actually got a kick out of capitalizing on it - men really like a southern accent on women, especially if they can tell from your grammar and diction that you are not stupid.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:44 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,287,711 times
My husband, who's from Forney, a little town east of Dallas, was getting his hair cut in Arlington a few months ago and a preteen boy asked him if he was from the country. When hubby said yes, the boy said, "I knew it!" lol! As a kid growing up and vacationing with his yankee cousins, they would sometimes make fun of his accent but he never cared. It didn't bother him.

When my daughter was 10 (she grew up in Arlington and Grand Prairie) she spent the summer with relatives in California and she said her cousins would make fun whenever she said "y'all".

Old 03-24-2008, 11:23 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,610,755 times
Default Continued from another thread...

As continued from a more recent thread, here is a great article about Texas speech:

Talking Texan: Y'alls, Drawls, and Monophthongs by Debbie Nathan - The Texas Observer

The topic had sorta wandered off in the earlier one, but is/was such a good one, I figured why not continue it here?

Old 03-24-2008, 11:36 AM

16,671 posts, read 17,437,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVTX72 View Post
Everyone knows us Texans don't have an "accent"! Its everyone else that tawks funny!
You must be right. That explains why some Brits while in TX ordering up a meal and asking for water were given vodka!

They obviously couldn't say watr!

Old 03-24-2008, 11:42 AM

870 posts, read 3,082,443 times
Default Revived thread, yay!

My 6 yr old granddaughter has the biggest drawl going in the state of TX!! She is sooooo cute. Last summer, her and her brother were going to have a swimming race. She shouted "C'mon, Bubba!! It's on!" Said, reallllleeee sloooow, Pronounced, Cummoan, Buhba! It's oown!

Hmmm, I halped teacher to tawk!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas