Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2007, 09:15 AM

3 posts, read 9,554 times

Advertisements

We are seriously considering a move to Abilene. Right now we are in SW PA, in a very small (3,000 people) town. Very conservative, friendly, very "small-town" atmosphere because that's what it is. This is our hometown so of course we feel very comfortable here.

We've read the previous posts about Abilene, and are wondering if the folks who live/lived in Abilene would think the fit would be for us. We're homebodies, and don't need a lot of "entertainment". We do have a fifth-grade daughter, and our school district here is huge, over 7500 students....so we think a smaller school such as Wylie would be refreshing.

Also, does anyone know anything about some of the newer subdivisions in the Wylie district, as far as SAHM's, etc, and kids of the same age as our daughter, basically the demographics of the newer subdivisions.

Thanks in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 11:34 AM

791 posts, read 2,223,005 times
Painters, look up Abilene on a maps.google.com and search for zip code 79605. You find in the southwest part of town 'Wylie', though it is not incorporated, the incorporated Wylie being in the Dallas area. There appears to be two Wylie School Districts in Texas, Abilene and Dallas.

The one in the Abilene area is only that southwest part and further south to Tuscola and nearby areas - map (broken link). I don't know where else it goes but not further into Abilene.

On the Abilene map, in the southwest, you'll see Fairway Oaks CC... which is probably about as much of Abilene as you will find in the Wylie SD. Fairway Oaks is fairly new construction as is most development in that area. Beyond that it becomes rural. South on 83/84 are some rural sub-divisions that are probly in the Wylie SD as well.

Here is an appraisal district lookup (http://propaccess.trueautomation.com/clientdb/?cid=32 - broken link) to determine school district by address.

If you have an interest in sports, the current quarterback for the University of Texas is from the Wylie School District. He's a sophomore this year and looks as though he'll be on the sports scene for many years to come.

Last edited by Willys; 11-11-2007 at 11:57 AM..

Old 11-11-2007, 11:44 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,010,195 times
I know the Wylie school district is highly regarded but, then again, so is Abilene. It has a very good state rating. Can't help you out with subdivisions as I'm fairly new here myself.

All I can recommend is that you come to Abilene and look around. There is NO substitute for a first-hand visit. I already lived in Texas and was looking to move to Lubbock but when I visited Abilene it became my first choice. (I like Lubbock -- my son goes to school there -- but it was a bit too big and busy for me. Also, Abilene is quite centrally located in Texas so you can do day trips to Lubbock, Dallas/Ft. Worth, and the Hill Country easily.)

I don't think you can possibly know if you'll like an area unless you spend time there. I did three trips to Abilene before I made an offer on a home. Also, the online pictures of the homes were not necessarily accurate. Homes I saw online that I thought I'd love, I didn't like at all when I visited them. Yet, other homes that didn't look all that great online turned out to be desirable for me!

Are you from the Pittsburgh area? I grew up in Sharon, PA, north of Pittsburgh.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:52 AM

3 posts, read 9,554 times
Yes, we are from about 25 miles north of Pittsburgh.

Thanks for the information, we will perhaps make a trip soon....my husband has been there but I have not.

Old 11-11-2007, 04:55 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,146,867 times
There are also parts of zip code 79602 and 79606 inside the Abilene city limits that are in the Wylie School District. Lytle Shores South is an inexpensive subdivision in Wylie. There are lots of new subdivisions in the Wylie area that are more expensive. As you go south in town, the more southern new subdivisions are in the Jim Ned School District. So, if you want to stay in the Wylie area, be sure to be careful as you look at areas. Your description of the kind of town/people that you like and are used to describes the people in Abilene and the city. Abilene ISD is over 16,000 students. Wylie and Jim Ned are much smaller. I moved here from Akron, and I am familiar with the Pittsburgh area. This was a great move for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas