Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 10:25 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,825,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Why do you think it's a great city for blacks? Because 20% of the population is black?
Uhh no. I've been there. I have my reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 10:41 PM

420 posts, read 707,593 times
I agree that Houston is better for black professionals. However, I think Dallas is better for IT professionals.

You're going to have to choose, OP. Are you going to be black or IT? CHOOSE ALREADY!!!!!

Old 08-09-2013, 02:26 PM

725 posts, read 1,243,098 times
Quote:
Why do you think it's a great city for blacks? Because 20% of the population is black?
It's about the same in Dallas too in terms of percentage. Houston is just known nationwide for being a good city for black professionals and we all have different reasons why we consider it so.

I think Dallas is as well to be frank - it just doesn't have the same reputation.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:00 PM

77 posts, read 138,543 times
Neither city is going to be like Raleigh. However, I would say Houston is closer to a "southern" type city.

Now lets move on, Austin is much larger than Raleigh. And you like biking? Austin is the most active city in Texas. Just be careful. Its August and 106 degrees. Austin is very culturally diverse as well as safe. I can walk downtown at any hour and feel safe (though don't be surprised to be asked for spare change many times.) If I was to compare Austin to a city around where you are coming from, it would be closer to Charlotte.

Come visit here first, but I think with the activities you like (arts, biking, etc.) Plus your work fields are perfect for Austin. Houston is very much based on energy. Austin is based on Tech and Legal (we are the capital.)

Old 08-10-2013, 11:22 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,370,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman79 View Post
Neither city is going to be like Raleigh. However, I would say Houston is closer to a "southern" type city.

Now lets move on, Austin is much larger than Raleigh. And you like biking? Austin is the most active city in Texas. Just be careful. Its August and 106 degrees. Austin is very culturally diverse as well as safe. I can walk downtown at any hour and feel safe (though don't be surprised to be asked for spare change many times.) If I was to compare Austin to a city around where you are coming from, it would be closer to Charlotte.

Come visit here first, but I think with the activities you like (arts, biking, etc.) Plus your work fields are perfect for Austin. Houston is very much based on energy. Austin is based on Tech and Legal (we are the capital.)
Houston is more than just energy (seriously, when will that stereotype die?). It's also a big medical town, and there are IT jobs here, of course.

Old 08-10-2013, 02:04 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,975,936 times
As you can see OP, the bickering between Houston and Dallas will never end. Thus, you should move to El Paso! If possible?

Old 08-10-2013, 03:48 PM

568 posts, read 903,424 times
My experience in Dallas was not that great as a Hispanic person. There were a group of guys who made way too many jokes at the expense of Mexicans. It started off as innocent jokes but unraveled into pure hatred by some of the members in their group. I am mixed so they were unaware I was Mexican until I informed them. At that point they started back pedaling. The next night I went to Cork Wine Bar and my experience was not that different.

I think people feel comfortable making racist jokes around me because they do not realize I am Mexican. I would hope they at least have the decency to not talk so negatively when other cultures are in proximity. Overall the people were a little too pretentious for me. Hopefully I was just around the wrong people and they do not reflect the city. But something tells me their mindset is pretty prevalent their; well at least in that area.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:45 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,458,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsatyr View Post
My experience in Dallas was not that great as a Hispanic person. There were a group of guys who made way too many jokes at the expense of Mexicans. It started off as innocent jokes but unraveled into pure hatred by some of the members in their group. I am mixed so they were unaware I was Mexican until I informed them. At that point they started back pedaling. The next night I went to Cork Wine Bar and my experience was not that different.

I think people feel comfortable making racist jokes around me because they do not realize I am Mexican. I would hope they at least have the decency to not talk so negatively when other cultures are in proximity. Overall the people were a little too pretentious for me. Hopefully I was just around the wrong people and they do not reflect the city. But something tells me their mindset is pretty prevalent their; well at least in that area.
The nice middle aged ladies at my office in Houston trade racist emails about illegal immigrants.

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk 2

Old 08-13-2013, 12:28 AM

568 posts, read 903,424 times
Quote:
The nice middle aged ladies at my office in Houston trade racist emails about illegal immigrants.

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk 2
My experience in Houston is that people are not as open about it. Unless people in Houston are better at noticing my Mexican features.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:20 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,238,408 times
This has become an interesting thread for sure, but I knewthat it would. The constant back and forth between Dallas and Houston never gets old and is always entertaining. It's not unlike the Raleigh vs. Charlotte rivalry here in North Carolina but on a bigger scale.

Growing up in Raleigh I can tell you that back when say pre 1994 when Raleigh was named best place to live in the Country the diversity was not much at all. I remember being one of a hand full of black youths in school. Fast forward 15/20 years and the diversity of all nationalities has grown tremendously as have food offerings, festivals etc., as the area has exploded. Raleigh in general is very well integrated moreso by economic affordability that anything else, and in my research that is rare among cities. I'm more interested in quality of life and things to do for recreation for which ever city I choose, as well as sound employment verses race/diversity although I suppose that plays a part as well. I can and have always interacted well with whomever I'm around, and actually the only time I've ever felt not at ease is amongst the "hood" types of any race primarily because I didn’t have much exposure aside from the media.

I currently am the only african-american male at the large firm where I work and I'm unbothered by it and I consider a privilege to set a good example to dispel stereotypes, because they do exist our society. I'm just trying to find a comfortable place with room to grow as an individual and professionally, and to get the bigger city experience.

I arrive September 9th for a week to scout Dallas & Houston for a week.

Thank you all for your input thus far, please continue.

Thanks OP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas