Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 10:17 AM

554 posts, read 745,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I live in Richardson and that isn't true at all. Richardson's population has increased, sure...but that's mainly due to a few new apartment complexes and the fact that elderly widows/widowers are passing away/moving to retirement homes/moving in with relatives and their homes are by and large being bought by households with more members, i.e. mom, dad, kids. The overwhelming majority of new residents I meet in Richardson are from Texas. Many were born and raised in Richardson itself and return there to raise their own families.

Most of the people whose jobs were transferred to Richardson, or will be in the future, do not live in Richardson itself. They want new and shiny, so they move to Allen or Frisco or McKinney.
... ... Well, I stand corrected, then ... I got my information from some inside-the-company folks, here in Silly-con Valley. Sorry! ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 10:19 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchard View Post
... ... Well, I stand corrected, then ... I got my information from some inside-the-company folks, here in Silly-con Valley. Sorry! ...
They don't know what they're talking about.

Have there been some big corporate relos to Richardson? Sure. Are there more in the works? Yes, but probably fewer than you think. Right now the big newsmaker is State Farm, which is based in Illinois.

I don't know why people in "Silly-con" Valley are even talking about Richardson. It's not like they're moving here in droves.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:42 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,748,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppingDFW View Post
There are blue cities, but I wouldn't say there are socially liberal cities other than Austin. Houston would be the closest.
Actually, TX Democrats are not Socially Liberal. Pick one of the blue areas and get two men to hold hands or have a black woman with a white man and see what happens. Or ask a woman from those blue rural counties if she will take her GF or other-race BF back home with her. LOL.

Do the same thing in Collin County, a very "Conservative" area, and no one will even look twice.

The dividing line on social conservatism is age of the person, not political outlook. And you can be for gay marriage, yet be against divorce and abortion.

The same goes for income levels and education and religious preference and party allegiance. As Hispanics and blacks become more educated and economically franchised, they become more economically conservative, ie more efficient and less government.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:43 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,748,829 times
Quote:
They don't know what they're talking about.

Have there been some big corporate relos to Richardson? Sure. Are there more in the works? Yes, but probably fewer than you think. Right now the big newsmaker is State Farm, which is based in Illinois.

I don't know why people in "Silly-con" Valley are even talking about Richardson. It's not like they're moving here in droves.
Not a lot of land in Richardson to do this. But some very large data centers are going in...

OTOH, Plano and Frisco is different. Amazon and others are moving.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:33 PM

933 posts, read 1,533,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
Actually, TX Democrats are not Socially Liberal. Pick one of the blue areas and get two men to hold hands or have a black woman with a white man and see what happens. Or ask a woman from those blue rural counties if she will take her GF or other-race BF back home with her. LOL.

Do the same thing in Collin County, a very "Conservative" area, and no one will even look twice.

The dividing line on social conservatism is age of the person, not political outlook. And you can be for gay marriage, yet be against divorce and abortion.

The same goes for income levels and education and religious preference and party allegiance. As Hispanics and blacks become more educated and economically franchised, they become more economically conservative, ie more efficient and less government.
That's what I was saying. A gay couple would do better in Plano than in the blue strongholds West or South Dallas. Dallas is a Democratic city, but a socially conservative city as well.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:35 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:

Huh? Is this a reference to homophobia among black people?

Old 09-06-2013, 01:39 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times
Quote:

Do you have any idea how many times I've seen men holding hands in Houston? I don't either, because it would be impossible to keep count.

I dare you to take a poll of black professionals in this city and find out just how "conservative" they are.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:41 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times
Quote:
Huh? Is this a reference to homophobia among black people?
Which is a completely overblown, media-driven stereotype.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:52 PM

568 posts, read 901,758 times
My ex gf is black and it was never an issue. Way too many people post comments that are completely baseless.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:04 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
Of course people like this don't exactly make me feel comfortable:

Plano's Liberty Institute expands reach from candy cane pens to Palin, prayer, cross on federal land | Dallasnews.com - News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas