Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2013, 03:43 AM

3 posts, read 5,914 times

Advertisements

I have been here too long.
I hope I can find a low-income apartment in Amarillo. Here in Lancaster, Ca. more than half my income goes for rent. I am on SSI and receive a small Social Security check in the amount of $216. every month. I didn't work very many years. Was raising a family. Had three children.

I was married twice and divorced twice. I live by myself. It's just me and my computer. For intensive purposes. (lol)

I am 73 years old and the only health problem I have is high blood pressure. I can get around by myself. Always take the bus to get groceries. I have one of those shopping carts.
I don't have much stuff to move. no heavy furniture. I just hope I can find a mover to move my stuff to Amarillo and I hope he will let me ride along. I plan on placing my stuff in a public storage locker in Amarillo until I find an apartment.

I am thinking that in Texas the SSI check will be lower than what I get in California.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

For the past few days I have been reading the "I can't take it anymore" thread. I never laughed so much in all my life.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 04:13 AM

115 posts, read 120,332 times
Hi there. Do you work currently? Are you planning on working?

That is a very small check each month.

Do you have a lot of savings?

Can not one of your children help you move?

Be careful in who you hire to help you move. Read reviews online, etc.

Is it maybe more wise to just sell your furniture and stuff you don't really need now? So you travel light and don't need a moving truck , and just take a greyhound bus to texas? And then buy new furniture once you get an apartment?

It seriously might be cheaper that way! Plus you get new stuff, a fresh start in a new city!

Old 11-03-2013, 05:00 AM

3 posts, read 5,914 times
The only stuff I need to move is my computer table and computer, a portable TV., and about 5 boxes of my stuff. clothes, vcr, printer, vhs tapes, dvds, sheets and towels and a couple blankets. everything else I am going to sell.
I am getting a SSI check. And I can use that to move to Amarillo. There is a guy that works at the local Denny's restaurant that I will ask if he knows anyone that wants to make some money moving me to Amarillo.
I don't have a car and I don't know how to drive.

I have been here since 2005. Was in Orange County for a few years taking care of my Mother. She was bedridden due to a broken hip. She had a hip replacement, but she refused to get out of bed. Was afraid she would fall again. She passed away Christmas morning 2007. Then I moved to Lancaster, Ca. When I first moved in to this apartment complex I was paying $550. a month for rent. Last Feb. 2013 they raised the rent to $575. and now I am afraid they will raise the rent again next year. This apartment complex is not low-income. I have checked all over LA county and the Section 8 waiting list is closed and has been closed for a few years.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:01 PM

6 posts, read 11,014 times
i too am moving to amarillo area next yr in the summer with my family . we are doing a military PCS. We currently have friends living in that area and they have been gracious to give us a list of apartments on the good side of town. What we found is that the BAH for amarillo is much different than where we are currently located and that a lot of the apartments there take up almost all of our bah, where here we definitely have a surplus. Can anyone give me any more insight about quail creek apartments. Them paying for some of the bills (like sewer , water, and trash) seems too good to be true , plus the rent is less with more space. What's the catch? Good luck to original poster and thanks in advance for all the help!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas