Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 09:17 AM

194 posts, read 306,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by &heart View Post
I thought interstates couldn't be tolled..... but if they can, why not toll 18-wheelers that use I35 and make 130 free for them. It wouldn't solve everything but it would definitely help since most 18-wheelers are just passing through. I'm thinking out loud here.
What many people don't realize it that 18-wheelers are tolled .. they pay large licensing fees for each state through which they pass. Check out the licenses and little stickers on the next 18-wheeler you see stopped. You'll see a number of them, and each and every one of them costs a pretty penny.

And smaller commercial vehicles pay extra tax for each mile traveled on each state through which they pass. They do a monthly report based on fuel purchases and miles driven, and yes, they are audited.

Bookkeeping for transportation is no fun, believe me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 02:52 PM

816 posts, read 1,947,306 times
I have never thought they would toll I-35. They sure could quadruple (or more?) in money.

It would be good news for people in Northeast Texas if they want to travel to San Antonio and South Texas, if SH-130 was free.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:06 AM

56 posts, read 134,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by An0nym0us88 View Post
It would be good news for people in Northeast Texas if they want to travel to San Antonio and South Texas, if SH-130 was free.
I drove on it last summer going to San Antonio. If not getting a bill for that is any indication of free-ness, then I'd have to say it is free.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:28 PM

348 posts, read 830,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranfords View Post
I drove on it last summer going to San Antonio. If not getting a bill for that is any indication of free-ness, then I'd have to say it is free.
The all-electronic tolling system has a secondary purpose of revenue enhancement. A common practice is to fail to send the regular bill and the first late notices, and then months or a year later they send a violation notice with hundreds or thousands of dollars in violation fees added. They'll claim the bill was lost in the mail, and you can't prove it wasn't. The law presumes the tolling authority to be correct and deems you to be liable for whatever they claim you owe.

If you don't get a bill, call Texas Tollways and ask about your balance. Hopefully they'll have it on file and will work with you. They sometimes tell you there's no balance due and then mail you a bill for a very large balance due. I recommend against driving on toll roads unless you have a TxTag or pay cash, which is accepted only on some Houston area roads.

Old 11-29-2013, 02:26 PM

4,434 posts, read 5,347,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxf848 View Post
The all-electronic tolling system has a secondary purpose of revenue enhancement. A common practice is to fail to send the regular bill and the first late notices, and then months or a year later they send a violation notice with hundreds or thousands of dollars in violation fees added. They'll claim the bill was lost in the mail, and you can't prove it wasn't. The law presumes the tolling authority to be correct and deems you to be liable for whatever they claim you owe.

If you don't get a bill, call Texas Tollways and ask about your balance. Hopefully they'll have it on file and will work with you. They sometimes tell you there's no balance due and then mail you a bill for a very large balance due. I recommend against driving on toll roads unless you have a TxTag or pay cash, which is accepted only on some Houston area roads.

Or you do pay the toll and THEN they give you a fee. I had a $2.25 and I paid it. I received a second notice and I went online and and I had a zero balance. I received another notice and it said I owed $2.25 plus $25 penalty and they sent it to collections. Thirty minutes on the phone and know I somehow have a credit!

Old 11-30-2013, 11:33 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot Daisy View Post
What many people don't realize it that 18-wheelers are tolled .. they pay large licensing fees for each state through which they pass. Check out the licenses and little stickers on the next 18-wheeler you see stopped. You'll see a number of them, and each and every one of them costs a pretty penny.

And smaller commercial vehicles pay extra tax for each mile traveled on each state through which they pass. They do a monthly report based on fuel purchases and miles driven, and yes, they are audited.

Bookkeeping for transportation is no fun, believe me!
Don't try to explain IFTA (or KY / NM / NY / OR weight-distance taxes) to them, it'll blow their minds.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:38 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,282,316 times
I thought toll roads were built to pay for the construction of highways "until they are paid for"
I-35 is paid for with tax dollars.... why are people trying to make it a toll road?

Once again trying to screw over tax payers.
If there's lots of traffic in Austin is because of all the 18 wheelers that drive on I-35
those are the ones that should pay to drive on it.

I-130 is a complete failure
Toll roads are a failure and a scam on taxpayers
Now that I-130 is not "profitable" we all are gonna have to pay for it.

Old 12-25-2013, 11:40 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Switching Texas 130 and IH-35 is a stupid idea that is illegal and won't accomplish anything according to this recent study.

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/news...atesman_launch

Quote:
It looked at eight scenarios of what might happen with the area’s transportation system. That included the much-discussed swapping of I-35 and Texas 130 on the metro area’s eastern edge, making I-35 through Austin a tollway while making Texas 130 free and redubbing it I-35.

Aside from being legally impossible at this point and politically unfeasible at probably any point in the future, the study shows that such a flip-flop wouldn’t even help.

Trips home to northern and southern suburbs on the former I-35, paying tolls, would still take two and three hours. The reason: 86 percent of all trips on I-35 are locally generated, the study says. No one looking to go from Travis Heights to the Highland Mall area, for instance, would travel miles to the east and take the current Texas 130 even if it were free.

“There would appear to be no fix to I-35 congestion that includes (Texas) 130,” wrote Mike Heiligenstein, executive director of the Central Texas Regional Mobility Authority, in a letter to the report’s authors this summer after seeing their findings. “All the exhaustive discussions that have centered on moving trucks to 130 are simply not realistic or attainable.”

Old 12-26-2013, 11:59 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Austin has got to be the biggest city in the US that doesn't have a freeway loop.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:18 AM

34 posts, read 53,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Austin has got to be the biggest city in the US that doesn't have a freeway loop.
LOOP360 was always intended to be a full fledged expressway loop but the plans were struck down in the 80s by the environmentalists. The planned road system would have rivaled san antonio's 1960s road plans which were nearly entirely built to fruition but not in Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas