Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 11:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,692 times

Advertisements

Hi all: This is my first post in this forum. Having just returned from visiting friends in the RGV I have come to the conclusion that I certainly will be returning to visit but am also seriously entertaining the idea of making a move from the frosty north (Ontario/Canada) but want to be sure I can find housing/employment/school etc in a good area. Now with that said it probably wont be for a year or two as need to hone my skills and determine if I will be bringing my 14 year old with me. Thus need info on what schools will be good as well. Have done some research but at the moment it is completely overwhelming. Any suggestions as to good areas (IE low crime, decent housing or rental prices, quality schools and decent job opportunity. I am in process of learning Spanish but not fluent by any means as of yet so English is my primary language. Any assistance to help me narrow my research down would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance and have an outstanding day no matter where you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 01:19 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,352,256 times
You're going to get many different opinions as Texas is big not only in size but also in just about every other characteristic for use in comparisons.

Without making any comparisons between other areas of the State, I'll invite you to look at the Texas south High Plains, i.e., the Lubbock area. This is especially if you love horses and if you are seeking inexpensive housing. I think employment is up pretty much Statewide. Recent oil discoveries south of Lubbock and in the Midland-Odessa area are pushing real estate prices higher in both areas but still prices lag much behind most of the eastern side of the State. The South Plains still has a few frosty winters but they are always short and they seem to get more rare each year.

If the South Plains interests you, I recommend you post your interests in the Lubbock forum. There are some folks over there who know the City area much better than I. I live on a small farm northeast of Lubbock.

You need not know Spanish anywhere in Texas to get along but it is a language heard much inside the State.

Old 11-21-2013, 01:21 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,352,256 times
Sorry about that. I read your message again and see you seem to be only looking in the RGV area.

At any rate, best of luck.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:35 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
The unemployment rate in the RGV is, and always has been, the highest in the state. Good luck with finding a job there...

Old 11-22-2013, 09:35 AM

119 posts, read 249,247 times
My goodness, of all the beautiful places in texas you're considering the rio grande valley. Don't. Go to the hill country, to outer suburbs in the big city, austin, west texas, east texas. There's plenty of small cities/towns that are beautiful. Go to where the economic opportunities are. The rgv is the poorest area of the state for a reason. And it's not exactly a pretty place. The beach is ok, and the palm trees look nice. That's where it ends. Don't go there.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:55 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,738,703 times
Most of the jobs in the RGV tend to be low paying (unless you are in the medical sector) and many require some knowledge of Spanish as well.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:18 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,952,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsprettyhot View Post
My goodness, of all the beautiful places in texas you're considering the rio grande valley. Don't. Go to the hill country, to outer suburbs in the big city, austin, west texas, east texas. There's plenty of small cities/towns that are beautiful. Go to where the economic opportunities are. The rgv is the poorest area of the state for a reason. And it's not exactly a pretty place. The beach is ok, and the palm trees look nice. That's where it ends. Don't go there.
^this.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:30 AM

4 posts, read 7,448 times
I recommend you post your interests in the Lubbock forum. There are some folks over there who know the City area much better than I. http://www.qmyksawayaa.com/06.jpg

Old 11-25-2013, 02:19 PM

348 posts, read 830,836 times
Sanderson

Old 11-25-2013, 03:27 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
If youre going to the RGV, I personally recommend McAllen. It has the most ammenities and is the nicest in my humble opinion. Harlingen is also pretty good.

However as others have cautioned, jobs in the RGV are very low paying and if you dont speak Spanish, you may be hindered some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas