Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 04:57 PM

6 posts, read 8,929 times

Advertisements

I'm researching a new place to live, and here's what I'm after. For reference, I'm looking for a Seattle that's close to Texas with a lower cost of living. Austin sounds good but is probably too expensive, and the traffic there is going to be a long term problem. More specifically, here is my wish list:

Within a few states of Texas (family is there).

Four season climate, would like some thunderstorms, maybe a little snow, some change in the seasons. Preferably not crazy humid like Houston. Preferably not punishingly hot long summers. More rain is better than less rain.

Within 50 miles of an urban center.

Farmer's market and/or a food culture.

Preferably not cookie cutter suburbs where everything looks the same.

Tolerable traffic.

Nice if I could walk or cycle to run some daily errands rather than drive.

Modest housing (say, 2 BR, 1500-2000 sq ft) in reasonably safe / gentrifying area for less than $200,000. Alternative housing like a loft or post-industrial site could work.

Tolerant population (eg, too many enthusiastic evangelicals would make me uncomfortable).

Decent local economy.

Reasonable price of electricity and utilities, taxes, general cost of living. Fast internet available.

Ice rink within 20 miles.

Not very important:

Public school quality (unless it would hold down real estate appreciation overly).

Job availability (I'm self-employed).

High tech medical facilities.

Any recommendations on places to check out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 05:38 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Doesn't exist, sorry.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:03 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Not Texas. We have long, hot summers statewide.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:48 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
Albuquerque. It snows there and it is 1/2 the size of Austin and has ice rinks. But you will have to give up the rain.

Not sure if it is in your distance range but Omaha is supposed to be an up and coming city as well with all you are looking for. Lawrence KS is closer and a very nice college town just outside the Kansas City suburban area.

Tulsa is a pleasant city and more scenic than Oklahoma City with rolling hills and trees.

The front range cities in Colorado are nice but may be out of your price range is Austin is too expensive. Fort Collins comes to mind as Denver is probably too big with too horrible traffic, Boulder is to expensive, and Colorado Springs is too evangelical. And they are a lot farther than NM.

If it were me and I had to live within a day's drive of Texas and could pick any city, I'd pick Albuquerque.

Last edited by texasdiver; 12-03-2013 at 06:59 PM..

Old 12-03-2013, 07:36 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,970,756 times
you wont find it in Texas

Old 12-03-2013, 07:45 PM

482 posts, read 1,331,056 times
Perhaps Omaha, Kansas City, Denver, or Des Moines could work.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:08 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,158,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontfencemein View Post
Four season climate, would like some thunderstorms, maybe a little snow, some change in the seasons. Preferably not crazy humid like Houston. Preferably not punishingly hot long summers. More rain is better than less rain.

"Preferably not punishingly hot long summers" limits you to the Panhandle. Lubbock is a college town, and is a real diamond in the rough. You will find the culture that you're looking for, peacefully coexisting with the traditional Panhandle way of life.

Pros:
Very low cost of living, summers are hot but dry (not punishingly humid), snow in the winter, DEFINITELY thunderstorms. LOTS of musical history; see //www.city-data.com/forum/lubbo...t-present.html for a list of artists (Bob Wills, Waylon Jennings, Buddy Holly, Natalie Maines of the Dixie Chicks, and many more). There are 5 museums in the area, and be sure to check out the Science Spectrum / OMNI Theatre.

Cons:
Not much rain.

I'm not sure about the status of an ice rink, though. Call the Chamber of Commerce.

For more info on food, culture, entertainment, etc., visit Lubbock in the Loop

Old 12-03-2013, 11:36 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,409,088 times
Albuquerque came to my mind after reading all of this. However, I don't think you will be able to bike or walk very much. Also, you won't get much rain, but you will get four seasons.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:06 AM

6 posts, read 8,929 times
All good thoughts, I'll look into some of these towns.

Old 12-04-2013, 05:48 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
You may want to consider Little Rock or Hot Springs in Arkansas. Definitely four seasons and they are very near the beautiful Ouachita Mountains. Lots of absolutely gorgeous lakes and scenery.

Little Rock has a metro population of about 800,000 and is the state capital. Therefore it has a lot to offer in the way of amenities and still has a pretty low cost of living. It's a very clean city, and the people are friendly.

Hot Springs is an oddity. Very walkable in many areas. Low cost of living. It's a funky, artist sort of town - NOT a city. It's probably the most liberal town in Arkansas. It's unique. It's closer to the mountains. The cost of living is low.

People so often forget or dismiss Arkansas, when in fact there are so many absolutely beautiful areas of that state. And the property taxes are SO MUCH LOWER than in Texas. However - Arkansas has a state income tax, and Texas doesn't.

A Texas city to consider seriously, in spite of the summers, is Fort Worth and the surrounding areas. I LOVE ME SOME FORT WORTH! FW has a nice groove to it, more laid back that Dallas, lower cost of living overall, and some areas west of Fort Worth offer charming vintage homes, refurbished town squares, etc. It's worth checking out. Fort Worth also has a vibrant arts scene. It's not just about cows in Fort Worth!

Good luck. Keep us posted on what you decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas