Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2006, 12:14 PM

12 posts, read 102,998 times

Advertisements

i am spanish , i live in Andalucia, south Spain, i plan to buy 1 or 2 single family homes in Texas, 1 to live part time of the year and other to rent it, please somebody can say what of these 3 cities is better to buy a property and to live in general ??, i mean crime rate, best economy, less unemployment, more affordable prices and taxes, better weather especially concerning to tornadoes, floods and hurricanes, etc. Thanks a lot, Greetings from Spain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2006, 07:36 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,226,515 times
Dallas and Fort Worth are in an area called Tornado Alley in the U.S. Houston gets tornadoes as well but is too far south to be in the "Alley." Dallas and Fort Worth don't get hurricanes but Houston does. Houston is more humid but Dallas/FW but all have their share of humidity. All three places are ever so hot in the summer and summer doesn't last a short time, more like 6 months of the year. Many days or weeks of triple digit temperatures are common in Dallas/FW. Houston may not reach triple digit temps (I'm not sure) that often but the humidity makes it seem like it does. I live in Central Texas about 65 miles from FW and 75 miles from Dallas and it isn't unusual for the temp to still be 98 degrees at 10 P.M. or 85 degrees at 5 A.M. Not pleasant to be sure.

Houston gets heavy flooding at times and Dallas/FW have flooding areas as well. Houston's floods are usually caused by hurricane rains. Flooding can happen anywhere in Texas when it rains heavily. Anywhere you choose to live in Texas, it's best to check out the flooding areas. Some are prone to flood waters and other places takes tons of rain before flooding occurs.

Dallas/FW have gotten their fair share of Hurricane Katrina victims but poor Houston received 250,000 people. I hear that has really risen the crime statistics although all three cities are heavy in the area of crime.

If I had to choose for me, I'd choose Fort Worth but would be very choosy in what section. I honestly wouldn't want to live in any of those cities, but one reason is because I like small-town living. My son lives in Fort Worth and my daughter in a large city between Dallas/FW. I'm forever worrying about their safety although their neighborhoods seem fairly safe, I hope.

I don't know much about the economy and unemployment in any of these places so I'll leave that question to someone who does.

Wow! Spain! Texas may shock you. I wish you the best of luck in your search.

Old 10-23-2006, 05:44 AM

12 posts, read 102,998 times
Default Thanks A Lot Amjb For The Information

i hope that somebody can help in the other questions, yeah i think that Texas will shock to me.

Old 10-25-2006, 10:54 PM

2 posts, read 9,858 times
The Hurst,Euless,Bedford area between Fort Worth & Dallas is a great place to live. Crime rate is low,we don't flood & have never had a major tornado touch down that I know of. Wide range of real estate for investing & just minutes from DFW airport.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:13 AM

1 posts, read 5,624 times
Default Killeen to Round Rock

I hope you find yourself well my Spanish friend!

I've lived in Killeen for over ten years and the are is amazingly great! Every amenity that you'd want from a big city is here but without the big city hassle! As you can read from the link above, very good place. CNN also rated Killeen as the cheapest place to buy a home and still have a high level of craftsmanship. And because the largest military installation is locate here you can rest assured that your property will stay rented. the weather is also amazing, and if you don't like it just wait five minutes! Sorry little Texas joke. As per the other replies Dallas/Ft Worth has the most tornadoes per area than anywhere else in the country. And well Houston gets hit by hurricanes. If being close to big cities is a concern, Austin is 45 minutes away, Dallas/Ft Worth/San Antonio less than two hours and Houston is about 3-4 hours away. And we have an international airport!

We've had one of the fewest disaster declaration than almost all counties in the US! Hope you've made your home(s)!

Last edited by elnina; 02-28-2011 at 07:34 PM..

Old 02-28-2011, 06:21 PM

12 posts, read 26,001 times
Default Don't Forget Austin

I am a Realtor in Houston but would live in Austin Texas.
Great downtown atmosphere, music, etc..
Lake Travis, scenery, golf courses, restaurants.. the Oasis.. one of a kind.

Houston is a great place to live and work, and I can help you if you require assistance, or give you a name in Austin for someone to help you there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander View Post
i am spanish , i live in Andalucia, south Spain, i plan to buy 1 or 2 single family homes in Texas, 1 to live part time of the year and other to rent it, please somebody can say what of these 3 cities is better to buy a property and to live in general ??, i mean crime rate, best economy, less unemployment, more affordable prices and taxes, better weather especially concerning to tornadoes, floods and hurricanes, etc. Thanks a lot, Greetings from Spain.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:22 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,693,073 times
Very Old Thread, they surely don't need help any more

Old 02-28-2011, 06:25 PM

12 posts, read 26,001 times
Default Don't Forget Austin

Forget Houston, Dallas, and go to Austin or San Antonio.
Austin has a great atmosphere and water you can see your feet.
Rolling hills, live entertainment everywhere.
San Antonio has a rich Hispanic population and is a very international
City with Houston 150 miles to the east and Austin 50 miles north.

Go to Austin...
(Mod cut: advertising)

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander View Post

Last edited by elnina; 02-28-2011 at 07:33 PM..

Old 02-28-2011, 06:27 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,693,073 times
errrr, dude! I'm sure they don't need help any more....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas