Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 11:48 AM

390 posts, read 824,662 times

Advertisements

I come from the perspective of someone living in Dallas.

Oklahoma: Pretty similar to North Texas, just more spread out and less wealthy. I like Oklahoma, because it's more down to earth and relaxed than North Texas.
Arkansas: Very beautiful. Great place to vacation to.
Louisiana: Extremely wet, rainy, and a bit insane (lots of crime - never felt safe in Louisiana when I was there). Louisiana has its own distinct culture. If Oklahoma is Texas' younger brother, Louisiana is Texas' crazy uncle.
I can't speak for the other states that border Texas, as they are no where near me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 01:20 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times
I've lived in southern Louisiana and have had a sister and a sister-in-law NE Oklahoma for many years. The only bordering northern and eastern state in which I have not spent significant time is Arkansas. Except for New Orleans, which to me is the "armpit" of the South, each of these states has their own positives and negatives. Northeastern Oklahoma is beautiful as is, I suspect, much of Arkansas.

As to the western side of Texas, I much prefer the drier climates. Except for the poor-minded "west-side-of-town" type of governments in New Mexico, there's not many other aspects of the State that I have not truly loved. I may well still have my home at Albuquerque when I move to the state that borders Texas from above.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:57 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Louisiana - Old South, great food, a little exotic the further south you go. I love it!

Arkansas - Lots of absolutely beautiful scenery and mountains as you travel north and west. The southern half feels, well, southern to me. Good country cookin'!

Oklahoma - Some of the friendliest people I've ever run across live there. Really wild weather. Lots of Native American culture, which is cool.

New Mexico - Breaking Bad country. Very different, definitely western, arid, fun to visit.

I've lived in Arkansas and in Louisiana, by the way, and have relatives scattered from New Orleans to Little Rock to Waco, so I am very familiar with the Ark La Tex. I used to travel to Oklahoma City all the time on business but that's as much of OK as I've seen. I've been through New Mexico but haven't spent a lot of time there - I'd like to see more of that region.

I better call Saul.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:04 PM

15,531 posts, read 10,504,683 times
Louisiana - Good food, fascinating history. Kinda seedy, don't enjoy it anymore.

Arkansas - Beautiful. Enjoyed it as a kid, not so much now.

Oklahoma - Has some of the finest people I've ever known. Used to hate it, but changed my mind.

New Mexico - Great Mexican Food and sunsets. Like it, but it can be frustrating.

(Have a second home in Colorado, love the mountains, but my heart just isn't there. After Texas, identify best with Arizona.)

Last edited by elan; 02-05-2014 at 10:33 PM..

Old 02-05-2014, 09:30 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,974,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Louisiana - Good food, fascinating history. Kinda seedy, don't enjoy it anymore.

Arkansas - Beautiful. Enjoyed it as a kid, not so much now.

Oklahoma - Has some of the finest people I've ever known. Used to hate it, but changed my mind.

New Mexico - Great Mexican Food and sunsets. Like it, but it can be frustrating.

(Have a second home in Colorado, love the mountains, but my heart just isn't there. Identify best with Arizona.)
I much prefer Tex-Mex but its kool that some people like New Mexican food

Old 02-05-2014, 10:23 PM

15,531 posts, read 10,504,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
I much prefer Tex-Mex but its kool that some people like New Mexican food
I prefer Tex Mex too, but good Tex Mex is getting harder to find. The last decent Tex Mex I had was in some joint in Amarillo, can't even remember it's name. Here in DFW most of my favorite spots have gone out of business.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I prefer Tex Mex too, but good Tex Mex is getting harder to find. The last decent Tex Mex I had was in some joint in Amarillo, can't even remember it's name. Here in DFW most of my favorite spots have gone out of business.
That's too bad.I don't have that problem in Midland.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:54 AM

28 posts, read 30,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I've lived in southern Louisiana and have had a sister and a sister-in-law NE Oklahoma for many years. The only bordering northern and eastern state in which I have not spent significant time is Arkansas. Except for New Orleans, which to me is the "armpit" of the South, each of these states has their own positives and negatives. Northeastern Oklahoma is beautiful as is, I suspect, much of Arkansas.

As to the western side of Texas, I much prefer the drier climates. Except for the poor-minded "west-side-of-town" type of governments in New Mexico, there's not many other aspects of the State that I have not truly loved. I may well still have my home at Albuquerque when I move to the state that borders Texas from above.
Because like most people you probably think New Orleans is nothing but Bourbon Street and inescapable crime. I have yet to move there but even I know better. The city is a diamond!

Old 02-06-2014, 08:10 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
That's too bad.I don't have that problem in Midland.
No. One of my first stops in Midland when I get around to going back up there will be Tampico's, and a plate of rellenos--non-battered, beautiful roasted green chiles over a beef filling, topped with cojack cheese. Usual side of refried, hold the rice.

There will also be the requisite bowl of salsa (best in Midland) with their thin, hot chips!

La Casita here is almost that good, so I'm OK--and the last time I ate at Cueva de Leon in Fort Davis, it was better than Tampico's--but all good!

Good Tex-Mex was what I missed in NM the most.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
No. One of my first stops in Midland when I get around to going back up there will be Tampico's, and a plate of rellenos--non-battered, beautiful roasted green chiles over a beef filling, topped with cojack cheese. Usual side of refried, hold the rice.

There will also be the requisite bowl of salsa (best in Midland) with their thin, hot chips!

La Casita here is almost that good, so I'm OK--and the last time I ate at Cueva de Leon in Fort Davis, it was better than Tampico's--but all good!

Good Tex-Mex was what I missed in NM the most.
My favorite Mexican place here is Jorges.Never have tried Tampicos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas