Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 09:21 AM

344 posts, read 1,052,690 times

Advertisements

Never been to TX. Would love to see both Houston and Austin.

I was thinking of booking a trip of approximately 4-5 days and flying to Houston, renting a car and driving to Austin at some point. From there I'd either fly home or drive back to Houston for a flight home.

I'd want to spend significant time in both cities so I wouldn't just be going for the drive, but is it a somewhat interesting drive? I saw it looks like around 2.5 hours on Google Maps without traffic. I'm curious if it's worth doing or if I might be better off just visiting each city separately or even flying from 1 to the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 09:37 AM

677 posts, read 653,525 times
It's a very easy drive, but I wouldn't call it particularly interesting, no.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:39 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,795,689 times
Which are the preferred driving routes between Houston and Austin, TX? Why are they preferred? - Quora

Old 02-04-2015, 09:55 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,272,119 times
The drive isn't bad, but it's boring no matter which way you take. However, there are some interesting stops along either major route. And if you go during wildflower season, it can be picturesque in some places.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:51 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,421,244 times
I agree, it can be pleasant during the wildflower season. However, in general, it depends on what things you find interesting. There isn't any major topography, mostly gently rolling in places and flat in others. If you like small towns, you might find it interesting to compare them to what you've seen elsewhere (like Fayetteville, for instance).

There are two main routes from Houston: direct to Austin on 290 or via I-10 to Columbus and from there, via 71 to Austin. On that route, Columbus has a few blocks of nice old mansions, La Grange has a bluff on the Colorado River with some mild views, and Smithville is another pleasant town. I find the 290 route to be a bit more dull.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:12 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,737,530 times
There are a few nice spots to stop. If I was planning your trip, I would go visit Round Top for the arts and crafts (and with scenes that transport you into another world) and then, have some great vittles in Elgin, home of the famous Elgin Sausage!

Please let us know how it goes!

Old 02-05-2015, 01:28 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,536,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie555 View Post
Never been to TX. Would love to see both Houston and Austin.

I was thinking of booking a trip of approximately 4-5 days and flying to Houston, renting a car and driving to Austin at some point. From there I'd either fly home or drive back to Houston for a flight home.
The drive between the two cities is not something I'd ever recommend to tourists. It's 2.5 hours of ~blah~ and is no way, no how, representative of Texas.
If your mind is made up to just see Houston and Austin, that's all well and good but the trip between is merely a way to get from Point A to Point B, don't expect anything else,

Old 02-05-2015, 06:43 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,971,077 times
No

Old 02-05-2015, 06:51 AM

170 posts, read 299,323 times
my favorite drive from houston is to leave h-town on 290 and then cut thru the lost pines area to hwy 71 and then into south austin. this route takes about the same amount of time as any other, but it's only reasonable if you are heading to south austin in the first place.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:13 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,184,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
The drive between the two cities is not something I'd ever recommend to tourists. It's 2.5 hours of ~blah~ and is no way, no how, representative of Texas.
If your mind is made up to just see Houston and Austin, that's all well and good but the trip between is merely a way to get from Point A to Point B, don't expect anything else,
I have done the round trip between Austin and Houston over 100 times. I have ridden a bicycle three times. I do not see how you can say it isn't representative of Texas. Texas is a giant state. The drive between any of the major cities is just one element of the state and it is part of the varied topography or culture of the state.

If you can make the drive in 2.5 hours you are moving fast.

Houston is very flat. As you drive away from Houston, the terrain changes to rolling hills. The towns between the two cities have their own interesting features.

I prefer the IH10-SH71 route. The IH10 portion is the least interesting part. It takes 45 minutes just to escape Houston. But once you turn off IH10 onto SH71 - it becomes more rolling. You'll cross the Colorado river multiple times. Stop in either Ellinger or LaGrange for Kolaches or other snack. If you have never seen a Buccees stop at the one in Bastrop. Not a place of beauty but kinda amazing on its own.

The drive into Bastrop is more interesting now than it used to because you can see the damage from the huge wildfire a few years ago.

This isn't some kind of stunning drive around Lake Tahoe. But it is more satisfying that driving from Houston to Dallas or Houston to San Antonio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas