Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 06:33 AM

2,994 posts, read 3,765,499 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,
how are you?
I'm a new member.
I'm Italian girl and I would like to ask you some information about Texas , same information with the major place that you recommend me as tourist.
I would like to visit more place but I have only 15 days in August (from 5th to 20th August). I rent a car.
I see in Texas website some place that attract my curiosity but I don't have much time to visit all.
Would you like to help me, please?

Dallas
Fort Worth
Whichita Falls-canyon
Amarillo - hereford
Lubbock
Odess/ Midland
El Paso/Big bend
Del Rio
San Antonio
Laredo
Brownsville
Corpus Christi
Austin
Houston
Galveston

Which is the best of these places, please?
How many days do you recommend to stay for each stop?
For sea....advice?

Many thanks for your help
Have a great day and...sorry for my bad English...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2006, 05:55 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,382,695 times
go to the traveltex web site and order that Texas Travel Guide. it is a GREAT guide and will help you plan your visit.........all of Texas is great! Ciao!

Old 10-24-2006, 11:39 PM

many thanks for this web site! It's fantastic!!!!
I planned this itenerary:

(2 nights) Dallas
Forth Worth (53 Km)
Whicita Falls (188 Km)
Amarillo (Arnot Road Cadillac Ranch) (361 Km)
Canyon /Hereford (Palo Duro Canyon) (77 Km)
Abilene (463 km)
Odessa (276 km)
(Presidio) Big bend (372 Km)
Del Rio (468 km)
(2 nights) San Antonio (246 km)
Laredo (250 km)
South Padre island (351 km)
Corpus Chisti (278 km)
Galveston (422 km)
Houston (83 km)
Austin (300 km)
Dallas (309 km)

Is it possible for your opinion?

Do you have another places that we advise me, please?
I didn't find a places of Rodeo.
In August, where I can watch a Rodeo?

Do you have, besides, an experience of Ranch that you recommend me?

Many tkanks
see you soon

ciao
Laura

Old 10-25-2006, 05:48 AM

216 posts, read 934,948 times
www.tourtexas.com/index.html

You can pick and choose the information you're looking for by date, region, city, category. etc.

Old 10-25-2006, 08:11 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Wow, this is an aggressive plan to see all of Texas in a short period of time. You realize that this is 4500 km? (2800 miles, for us folk). This will probably be 48 hours of driving (or more).

I am more of a casual traveller and would probably not try so much, but I am guessing you are younger and can handle all that . You have included all the major travel spots and most regions of Texas, and several not so often visited spots.

Just some comments:
If you go to Laredo, do not go across the border. It has been very dangerous recently and I do not think it has improved enough to cross the border. If you are going into Mexico (which you may not be planning anyway), go across at Del Rio or Brownsville (near South Padre). Unfortunately, the Mexican side of Laredo (Nuevo Laredo) was one of the nicer border towns not long ago.

Big Bend is quite a bit out of the way (from pretty much everything) but is well worth the visit. If you like Hiking, go up to Chisos Basin. The air will be much cooler and the views are wonderful. I think water sports (rafting and canoeing) are not as good because the water will be low in August, but may be worth considering if the conditions are right. The canyons are fabulous.

Galveston is a very intersting town for visiting. Check out Moody Gardens, they have a good aquarium and a rainforest (inside a building!). The rates are very cheap if you go late in the evening (I think after 6:00 pm) and that usually leaves plenty of time to see one exhibit.

I do not know if you know people here or not, but my niece just got back from four months in Italy (studying at the University of Dallas - Rome Campus). I have no idea how well she learned Italian (not much, I am afraid), but she lives in the San Antonio area and might be willing to help you out some, too. Let me know if you are interested and I can have you trade emails.

Oh, regarding rodeos, there are not too many in July or August (none that I know of) because of the heat. You may be able to locate a small one somewhere, though, if you look.....

Old 10-26-2006, 12:55 AM

Oh, yes!!!! It's an aggressive plan

Last year, I visided to 15 days, a majour place to California, Nevada, Utah, Arizona…
WOW! A wonderful place. I have been 7000 km… I was very tired but I was very, very satisfied.

If I understand, You recommend me to don't go to Laredo because it is dangerous; is it correct?
I put this destination to absorb the distance between San Antonio and South Padre Island.
Which place do you recommend me to replace Laredo?

For Rodeo question…. If I undersand, I see that there are rodeos :
http://www.mesquiterodeo.com/about/ (broken link)
http://www.cowtowncoliseum.com
http://www.billybobstexas.com/

No, I don't know any people here. I read that your niece has been in Rome… WOW. Rome is a beautiful city. I'm in Milan…an other big city. Do you know it?
Yes, it's a beautiful idea! Yes, I'm interesting to talk with she.
I send you my e-mail in pm, is it ok?

Sorry for my English…I'm a disaster but I try …

Many thanks
Ciao
See you soon
Laura

Old 10-26-2006, 07:39 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
If I understand, You recommend me to don't go to Laredo because it is dangerous; is it correct?

Trainwreck has given you some excellent advice. Laredo and Nuevo Laredo across the border are dangerous and rough, with lots of drug activity. I have been there a few times, but I wouldn't go anywhere near either place these days.

Del Rio/Ciudad Acuna is a far better option. Also, since you will be in the Big Bend area, why not go on down to Presidio/Ojinaga? Also, the drive along highway 170 (which goes farther southeast) is FABULOUS, one of the best. Don't miss it!

Don't worry about your English. You're doing fine!

Quite an ambitious trip you have planned there!

Old 10-26-2006, 08:13 AM

Thanks Cathy!!!!

Oh, yes..it's a plan more ambitious but I would see the most possible!
Is better Presidio or Terlingua/Study Butte ?
I read that in Terlingua or Study Butte there is the possibility to plan a jeep tour.

Do you recommend this tour?

many thanks

ciao and...see you soon
Laura

Old 10-26-2006, 10:24 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Laredo, on the Texas side, is just about as safe as anywhere; however, the real reason to go there has always been to go across to Nuevo Laredo. Nuevo Laredo used to be the best border town, imho, but is way to dangerous now. If you want to go see the US side, Laredo is fine but not nearly as interesting as San Antonio or Study Butte or Terlingua.

Speaking of Terlingua, I have never done a jeep tour, but if you like the desert, it could be quite fun. The scenery is dramatic in a barren sort of way. Big Bend is one of my favorite places in Texas, and I would trade the Laredo day for another day around Big Bend in a heartbeat. You may also want to consider Alpine or Marfa on your list (google for 'Marfa Lights' ). It is as much fun to watch the people as it is to look for the lights.....

Got your PM, will forward to my niece, although I am not sure she has planned anything in her life that far in the future .

The rodeos you mention are 'weekly' rodeos, which are probably more shows than anything else, but should be fun. I have never been to one of those rodeos like that before, although I have been to the annual events in several places. I suspect they do the bull riding, calf roping, and barrel riding, along with a few others. Me, I have to see the calf scramble or the sheep busting . The three you have listed are probably very good, thoguh, too. Ft. Worth and Mesquite are still very much 'rodeo' towns, at least in this day and age.

Old 10-27-2006, 12:06 AM

OH..wow....
all information for me is more interesting! Thanks from the bottom of my heart!

I think to stay 3 nights in San Antonio and then, I'm going to South Padre island (without pass to Laredo )
Uhm... Do is better to stay 2 nights in Big Bend area and 2 in San Antonio or 1 nights in Big Bend area and 3 in San Antonio? (In San Antonio I would dedicate 1 day for visit Sea World)

If your nience will be write me, I'm very happy to talk with she!

Now, I quantify in money my plan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas