Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 03:51 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,874,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
LOL Don't you know it? There's always one in every crowd!
LOL!! Yep!! There certainly is....

Old 03-24-2014, 04:14 PM

168 posts, read 370,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techwired View Post
Texans in general are very gracious people, you can actually walk by someone on the street and look them in the eyes, smile, and wave to them -- very few places in the U.S. offer this type of friendliness and hospitality to all races.
I love this! One thing I pride myself in is being kind to others. I'm trying to teach my kids to be like this, too. Like when I'm at the grocery store and see someone unloading their cart into their car (especially an elderly person), I will stop and wait for them to finish so I can take the cart up for them, even if I don't need a cart.

I still remember this one little old lady...she was so shocked that I did that, and that I offered to help her put her groceries in her cart. Imagine a complete stranger, not getting paid to do this. I'm always met with shock. It's a very rare occurrence around here. Even just being chatty with the elderly while out and about, it just doesn't happen too often. :-(

My kids used to question me when I'd do this. "Do you know them? Then why are you talking to them? They are strangers!!" Haha!

I can't wait to move to Texas! :-)

Old 03-24-2014, 04:15 PM

168 posts, read 370,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backintheville2 View Post
Howdy and welcome!! Hope you have a smooth time moving and that you enjoy it here in Texas!
Thank you for the welcome! Is it weird that I wanted to say, "Thank you kindly!" Haha! :-)

Old 03-24-2014, 04:56 PM

455 posts, read 771,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrscandles View Post
I love this! One thing I pride myself in is being kind to others. I'm trying to teach my kids to be like this, too. Like when I'm at the grocery store and see someone unloading their cart into their car (especially an elderly person), I will stop and wait for them to finish so I can take the cart up for them, even if I don't need a cart.

I still remember this one little old lady...she was so shocked that I did that, and that I offered to help her put her groceries in her cart. Imagine a complete stranger, not getting paid to do this. I'm always met with shock. It's a very rare occurrence around here. Even just being chatty with the elderly while out and about, it just doesn't happen too often. :-(

My kids used to question me when I'd do this. "Do you know them? Then why are you talking to them? They are strangers!!" Haha!

It sounds like you and your family will love Texas culture and enjoy all of the unique things the Texas lifestyle has to offer.

Old 03-24-2014, 05:31 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,163,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techwired View Post
...I got a much better response in saying, I'm from Texas, rather than just being from the United States...
I once traveled many of the places that are today too dangerous for people from the USA to travel safely. Examples: Iran, Syria, Lebanon, Nigeria - you get the idea. And I ALWAYS told anyone interested in where I came from, TEXAS. Amazing how many times I was asked if I knew J. B. Ewing or had ever visited South Fork Ranch!

Old 03-24-2014, 06:37 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,772,671 times
Quote:
I love this! One thing I pride myself in is being kind to others. I'm trying to teach my kids to be like this, too.
I think you'll like it here.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:52 PM

2,707 posts, read 2,837,647 times
Those that read the article, and come away with the feeling that Bum is exalting Texas above all the other states is missing the point. It is simply a declaration of pride that Texans carry for The Lone Star State. My wife and I were born, and raised in Texas, and when anyone asks us where we are from, the word "Texas" rolls off our tongue as natural as a drink of cool water. We will enjoy wherever we live, but Texas is in our hearts.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:27 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,352,256 times
Quote:

You'll do fine anywhere in the Texas I have always known. A couple of weeks ago, I had a middle-aged black woman at Plainview, Texas allow me (an aging white haired white male) to move in front of her at the busy Walmart checkout simply because she saw that I had only one item and she had a grocery basket full. My first thought was that God has not yet removed all his angels from us and here is one. The next week, I was given the opportunity to do the same for a man much younger than me standing behind me with a single can of frijoles. Like me, he looked stunned and just kept babbling "thank you, thank very much" but in Spanish. Kindness is contagious and in Texas it is endemic.

They say that Texas is one of the few places where you can spend over an hour on the telephone with a wrong number. I know that for a fact as I have made coffee drinking buddies from a wrong number.

We'd love to have you in Texas.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:44 AM

17,792 posts, read 13,687,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
but I don't and would not put down other states just to throw it in someone else's face. That is totally rude and uncalled for.
I also appreciate this point of view as someone who comes from a state that is routinely picked on. It certainly depends on the person's approach. Phillips letter is pretty typical of what I'm used to from Texans talking about Texas. It's not like something we aren't used to.

It reminds me of the story about Colt McCoy's dad bringing a shoebox of Texas dirt to Hobbs New Mexico so Colt could be born on Texas soil. Typical Texan but it would seem a bit over the top if say a Kansan did it.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:17 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,352,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
It reminds me of the story about Colt McCoy's dad bringing a shoebox of Texas dirt to Hobbs New Mexico so Colt could be born on Texas soil. Typical Texan but it would seem a bit over the top if say a Kansan did it.
And that reminds of when my family lived at Clovis, New Mexico in the early 1970s when my daughter was born. Although Clovis had a larger hospital, we drove to Friona, Texas where my daughter could be born in Texas. To this day, my daughter is immensely proud to say she is a native Texan.

BTW, I certainly have nothing against beautiful New Mexico. My wife was born there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas