Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2007, 11:03 AM

37 posts, read 440,174 times

Advertisements

We are moving to the Cove/Kempner/Killeen area in a few months. We would like to build new since we feel with the housing market being what it is, we can get a new house for a better deal with what we want in it (we have a list of 'wants' and so far no house on the market in the past 4 months had it all).
My question is... how do I know which builder to choose? I've looked up websites of local builders and know of one builder who built our friends' house, but other than not wanting to go with the big national builders (thanks to research), I have a hard time choosing which one I can trust to build me a house with quality.
If you built with a local builder in the mentioned areas, please message me and let me know who you used (if you don't want to publicize it). How satisfied were you with quality/service/price?
Any problems during or after building?
Any advice is very appreciated...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 07:31 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,115,048 times
I don't live near you, and can only advise on ways to find information about builders to interview.

You can try your local Code Enforcement/Home Inspection office. They have passed or failed the best and the worst builders. Homes need to be built to code, and you want a builder that doesn't constantly fail inspections. Other resources could include real estate agents, home owners associations, builder associations and the Better Business Bureau. Word of mouth is the best advertising that a business can get, so if that friend had a good experience when building their home, maybe that builder would be a good place to start. Ask to be shown their model homes, but bear in mind that the model they show you is a finished look, and your starting price will reflect a pretty much stripped model.
The actual cost of your home will be determined after "upgrades"

Then go do the same thing with a few other builders. Good Luck.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:09 PM

30 posts, read 126,696 times
I am living in a John Bowen built home and have loved it! He has a website and builds in quite a few neighborhoods around here for you to walk thru. Ours was built 1998- but still has many "new feel" areas. (except carpet after 4 kids and pets, LOL)
I am not sure how far west you are wanting to drive- but I have seen some gorgeous homes in Lampasas as well.

Happy hunting!

Old 12-12-2007, 05:53 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,382,695 times
dont know anything about builders, but if you choose the Cove, i highly recommend the area of Ogletree Gap. the views from the "mountain" there are breathtaking. homes are gorgeous and there are deer everywhere!! so many deer in front yards
Kempner and Lampasas are gorgeous.
also looks like alot of new development on 36 between Cove and Gatesville-very rural, wide open spaces, NICE!

Old 12-12-2007, 08:09 AM

37 posts, read 440,174 times
I emailed several local builders the other day, one of them being john B., because I liked what he had on the website. He replied back to me today, and even though I feel I have many "wants" as far as our future home goes, they say it's doable for the money we want to spend. Ogletree gap is one of the areas where they offer lots. We would like to see those areas for ourselves before we decide where to build.
I'm glad to hear that you're happy with your home...
I love the internet, so much easier to get prepared and prepare the family for the move than it was 10 years ago....
The not so good part is that we have to wait to get anything started until we're physically there and signed in, things change way too much lately at the last minute. We would love to fly over there now and start building, then it would be pretty much finished when we move, but it's too much of a risk having a house and then maybe sitting somewhere else for 2 years when things don't go as planned.
Thanks for all your input, I appreciate any opinion and experience I can get... research research research......that's what my life's been consisting of since we got word on this move.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas