Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 10:38 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,062,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjstcc View Post
My family and I are planning to move to Longview or Tyler. We're just not sure which is the "better" of the two. I work in Longview, but not sure if Longview is where I want to move my family. I've been to Tyler a few times and it seems to be somewhat different than Longview. We would like to hear the pros and cons on both areas. Why you would chose one over the other? Please feel free to speak you mind.

Thanks so much.
My "stereotype" of the two has always been that Tyler is just a bit more white-collar, and Longview a bit more blue-collar - but I would suspect the similarities are MUCH more noticeable than the differences. (Likewise you will find a huge variety of subcultures in both.) Tyler has always been a bit larger also.

I guess I would say I could think of no reason to choose Tyler over Longview if you were working in Longview - and vice versa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 11:07 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
The recommendation to rent a house or a duplex is a good one if you can afford it. Most crime in any city occurs around apartment complexes, shopping centers, and freeway corridors. However house and rental prices are usually higher in lower crime areas. An apartment in a low crime are would still be safer for your family.

Comparing the City-Data demographics data for Mesquite and Longview.
//www.city-data.com/city/Mesquite-Texas.html
//www.city-data.com/city/Longview-Texas.html

Looking at the poverty levels in the various zip codes, it is a pretty good bet that the crime rates are lowest in the North part of town, especially in 75606 and highest in 75602.

Longview zip code map: //www.city-data.com/zipmaps/Longview-Texas.html

75605 Residents with income below the poverty level in 2008: This zip code: 8.0%
75604 Residents with income below the poverty level in 2008: This zip code: 10.9%
75603 Residents with income below the poverty level in 2008: This zip code: 11.6%
75601 Residents with income below the poverty level in 2008: This zip code: 12.7%
75602 Residents with income below the poverty level in 2008: This zip code: 23.5%
Average for the whole state: 15.8%

Old 10-01-2010, 11:13 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjstcc View Post
My family and I are planning to move to Longview or Tyler. We're just not sure which is the "better" of the two. I work in Longview, but not sure if Longview is where I want to move my family. I've been to Tyler a few times and it seems to be somewhat different than Longview. We would like to hear the pros and cons on both areas. Why you would chose one over the other? Please feel free to speak you mind.

Thanks so much.
Tyler has a significantly lower crime rate 398 versus 621 in Longview.

//www.city-data.com/city/Tyler-Texas.html
//www.city-data.com/city/Longview-Texas.html

Old 10-18-2010, 10:17 AM

1 posts, read 5,670 times
Default Tyler/Longview

Many of the replies on here about Tyler and Longview are pretty accurate. Tyler is more white collar, has better educational opportunities, (2 good colleges), probably a more solid economy.

These are my opinions based on being in east Texas for about 10 years and 5 in Tyler. If you need help relocating my wife is a real estate agent here in Tyler.

Old 10-18-2010, 02:30 PM

217 posts, read 640,441 times
and Tyler is dry, still, right? no liquor stores, no wine, no beer, nothin'... just sayin....

Old 10-19-2010, 12:28 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,086,306 times
No liquor stores in the city limits, 100 plus clubs, restaurants where you can buy anything without a card or signing up as a "member" in the olden days. Two weeks, Prct. 4 which partly in NE Tyler, is voting on all the above. Also, Bullard,Whitehouse have same on the ballot. Just a couple of miles drive. Tyler will someday be next.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:38 AM

4 posts, read 14,339 times
You know, the original post was made in 2007. I think they've probably moved by now. Just sayin'

Old 10-29-2010, 07:56 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,062,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongviewBound View Post
You know, the original post was made in 2007. I think they've probably moved by now. Just sayin'
kjstcc made a new inquiry on 10-1-10 but it was made in this old thread. It gets confusing!

Old 12-30-2010, 07:49 PM

2 posts, read 11,061 times
Thumbs down And you wonder why the crime rate is so high?

TxSteel54, and Teh5oh, I can't believe my eyes. You guys BEING police officers of this city have the "audacity" to give your OPINION about a "certain area" that you guys are SUPPOSED to be protecting. And about your comment about "not walking down 12th Street alone or unprotected", YOU ARE THE POLICE, so what does that say about OUR protectors? I, happened to be a resident of "south of highway 80" back in the nineties and I can't believe that ya'll have the GALL to blame THAT side of town for Longview's high crime rate. YOU GUYS ARE THE POLICE, so quit giving "reviews" online, and do YOUR job. While you are giving YOUR opinions, another drug deal has gone down, another child has been violated, and another "unsolved murder" has been committed. Since you guys want to STATE FACTS, why don't you tell these people about a "certain City employee, who works in the SAME building YOU do, happens to be in jail as we speak, on a HALF MILLION DOLLAR BOND for BEATING, KICKING, and killing HIS WIFE; who happens to be a FELLOW OFFICER of the LONGVIEW POLICE DEPARTMENT. That's right folks, your eyes aren't playing tricks on you, HARRY CHESTER GOODAN, an EMPLOYEE at the LONGVIEW POLICE DEPARTMENT, BEAT, KICKED, AND SHOT HIS WIFE, ELLYN GOODAN IN THE HEAD DURING A DOMESTIC DISTURBANCE. She is a fellow officer of TxSteel54, and Teh5oh. Did THAT happen on 12th Street? I get so sick and tired of officers and City council members whining and pointing the blame when Longview makes INTERNATIONAL news for it's inability to police itself. Why don't you "good ole boys" stop hiding behind your Rebel Flags and admit that the side of town that YOU are condemning is predominately a MINORITY side of town? 12th Street has gotten the way it has for the LACK of YOU GUYS doing your jobs. The side of town you guys are bragging about just happens to be where the UPPERCRUST live. Of course the crime rate is going to be low, because from YOUR OWN WORDS, that is where you are focusing YOUR attention. People, I'm NOT gonna sugar-coat it. Longview is ALL "jacked" up. It is what it is. Why do you think we rank like we do on the statistics? Because of ONE side of town "south of highway 80?" Give me a break. There are murders on the North; meth, rape, burglaries, and abuse of prescription pills. I will make it my business to let other citizens of Longview know that our OWN officers are giving real estate advise on "choice" parts of town, and placing the "blame" on others. There are hardworking, honest, good people living on THAT side of town who have worked ALL their lives who can't afford to move to the NORTH. And whether you accept it or not, THEY help to pay your salaries, too. I find your comments, unprofessional, bigoted, and inflammatory. And I will let the City council know what I have read coming from this site. With the way things are going in Longview, I wouldn't tell ANYONE to move here. We have inmates escaping from the County jail, WITH the help of jail staff. ANOTHER inmate has DIED in the GREGG COUNTY JAIL. Longview is bad ALL over. So don't try to pull wool over people's eyes. Before you think about moving to this city, read the Longview News Journal. That's the BEST advice I can give you!

Last edited by South of highway 80; 12-30-2010 at 08:14 PM..

Old 12-31-2010, 01:52 AM

2 posts, read 11,061 times
I also would like to add that Tyler is no "sanctuary" either. Yea, it may be dry, but what does that have to do with crime? Funny, I hear no mention of the little 15 year old girl from Longview who was killed in Tyler by a stray bullet on Christmas Eve. EVERY city has its share of crime. The problem with East Texas is we have more "excuses" with dealing with it than solutions. People thinking of moving to Longview, if you have families and small children, I'm going to tell you what you NEED to hear, not what the people who want your "tax dollars" want you to hear. Longview is EXACTLY the way the statistics are portraying it to be. I have PROOF instead of OPINIONS. You know your city has to suck if you are from a small town in East Texas, and your jail gets an article in the New York Times. That's right, Gregg County Jail, in the "good ole town" of Longview has SO many inmate deaths that it caught the eye of the NEW YORK TIMES. Don't believe me?, here's the link. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/14/us/14ttjails.html And you want to know what's so IRONIC about this? The Gregg County Jail is located just SOUTH OF HIGHWAY 80. Imagine that.

Last edited by South of highway 80; 12-31-2010 at 02:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas