Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2014, 09:23 PM

4 posts, read 6,166 times

Advertisements

There is a possibility that we may be heading out to Midland in the coming year. We are trying to evaluate the decision. I have read many posts from people on the rigs, men at the office, even foreign transferees, but I haven't found anything from homeschool or stay at home moms about how it is during the day while everyone else is at work. Safety? Friendliness? People get together or "stay home and watch TV" type of neighborhoods? Basically, does everyone stay in their own subdivisions / houses or do they make a variety of friends across socio-economic lines and have a sense of community?

Any thoughts? Also, any general suggestions as far as homeschool co-ops or groups?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 11:43 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXHomeschool View Post
There is a possibility that we may be heading out to Midland in the coming year. We are trying to evaluate the decision. I have read many posts from people on the rigs, men at the office, even foreign transferees, but I haven't found anything from homeschool or stay at home moms about how it is during the day while everyone else is at work. Safety? Friendliness? People get together or "stay home and watch TV" type of neighborhoods? Basically, does everyone stay in their own subdivisions / houses or do they make a variety of friends across socio-economic lines and have a sense of community?

Any thoughts? Also, any general suggestions as far as homeschool co-ops or groups?
Native Midlanders are friendly but can be cliquish and home schooling by nature isolates people. So you will need to look into finding a home school co-op group for play dates etc. This will help open doors for friends. House wives are typical I guess, they all exercise in the mornings, have lunch with friends, and hit up the grocery store afterwards. You may see some mingling with new money in terms of socio-economic lines but older Miland money wrote the book on cliquish. If you don't have money and act the part, you can probably write those people off.

There isn't a lot going on in Midland in terms of entertainment and things to do. So you will have to keep an open mind when it comes to events you're not particularly into as to have something to do. September Fest is coming up for example which is an art type event. They have a preview party Friday night with food and drinks. A lot of older money attends this party...the women generally dine inside the museum. We generally attained the preview party since it's fun and you get to see everything at night...when it's cool outside The regular event runs Sat-Sun and usually has fun stuff for kids like bounce houses etc. I also would consider joining the Cole theater, again, you have to be open minded living in Midland and the plays can be entertaining, sometimes they even grill burgers! Anyways, it gives you and the family an option. Midland now has 2 theaters and one drive in. So you have some movie options as well.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:18 AM

384 posts, read 1,669,738 times
Default 7 yrs

I've lived in Midland for 7 years and I moved from out of state and am definitely not "old oil money!". I work part time now but when the kids were younger I was a stay at home mom and was involved in taking care of the house (it's very dusty here!) and taking the kids to swim lessons, musikgarten etc. I have some friends who home school but the kids also go to Midland Classical for part of the week. Art and Soul Dance studio and COM aquatics both have afternoon programs aimed at home schooled children. You will probably meet other families that way. Lots of moms here who don't work volunteer or are part of MOPS (Moms of preschoolers) or Junior League. I didn't do any of that but did go back to work part time for a non-profit so now my time is full (too full!) Once the kids get out of school at 3:00 we are off to activities! Midland has tons of things for kids to do: theater school, dance, karate, sports, music lessons, church youth groups etc. You will not be bored here. Teens may get bored especially in the summer but if you look hard, you will find things for them too. I am just entering this phase with my oldest but she is very involved with theater so doesn't have much extra time. Send me a PM if you have any specific questions and welcome to Midland!
Pam

Old 09-01-2014, 03:37 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,974,972 times
I have found that most people stick to their own class or similar classes in Midland......However, my best friend in the area is working class and I am not so there is some mixing as well

Last edited by Westerntraveler; 09-01-2014 at 04:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: