Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 01:56 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,086,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Maybe you should get out of Grapevine more often.

There is an excellent children's museum in Waco called the Mayborn Museum that is on the Baylor Campus: Baylor University || Mayborn Museum Complex

There is a decent water park: Waco Water Park | Hawaiian Falls Water Slides in Waco, Texas

There is one of the best zoos in the state of Texas: Cameron Park Zoo

Waco has lots of little league and girls softball and some of the most successful youth teams in the nation; Dubl-R Fields at Riverbend Ballpark, Parks & Recreation - City of Waco, Texas

The Midway Little League Girls Softball Team from the southern suburbs of Waco has won 11 world series softball titles, more than any other team in the world: Little League Softball World Series - HISTORY

Waco has youth soccer leagues: Heart of Texas Soccer Association

Waco has youth swim teams: https://www.teamunify.com/Home.jsp?team=stheat

Waco has two excellent YMCA facilities: YMCA of Central Texas > YMCA of Central Texas

Waco has an excellent equestrian facility affiliated with the community college that does youth summer camps and youth riding lessons. My daughter learned to ride there: Highlander Ranch | McLennan Community College

Waco has dozens of gymnastics, dance, and sports studios scattered around the city.

Waco has a trampoline park: Trampoline Park Waco, Tx : Urban Air Indoor Trampoline Park

Waco has Cameron Park, the best urban park in Texas with the best urban mountain biking in Texas: Cameron Park, Parks & Recreation - City of Waco, Texas

Waco has ceramic arts studios: Practically Pikasso - Waco - Home and painting studios https://www.paintingwithatwist.com/waco/ that are fun to do with kids

Waco has the Waco Mammoth Site, the newest national monument in the country: Waco Mammoth National Monument (U.S. National Park Service)

Waco has a year-round downtown farmers market with music and food venders that is fund for kids: https://wacodowntownfarmersmarket.com/

Waco has Lake Waco with a four very nice campgrounds, a variety of day use parks with beaches, and the Lake Waco Wetlands with a visitors and educational center: Lake Waco Wetlands - City of Waco, Texas

Waco has several arts festivals: Waco Cultural Arts Fest | Waco & The Heart of Texas and a variety of other festivals: Festivals | Waco & The Heart of Texas

Waco has outdoor music venues on the Brazos during the summer: Brazos Nights and the same thing going on in Woodway at the arboretum Midsummer Night's Concert Series - City of Woodway - City of Woodway

If you can't find anything to do with an 8 year old in Waco then you aren't trying very hard.

You put me to shame on promoting Waco. I should learn from you, lol.

Oh, the Chamber of Commerce should pay you !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 10:01 AM

5,451 posts, read 7,743,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
You put me to shame on promoting Waco. I should learn from you, lol.

Oh, the Chamber of Commerce should pay you !!!
Yeah, well it rubs me the wrong way when someone from the Metroplex says there's nothing to do with kids in Waco. If Waco is anything at all it is a family-oriented town. Been raising 3 kids here so I've discovered most of what there is to do over the years. We still take weekend road trips up to the metroplex or down to Austin on occasion for the change of scenery and new stuff to do. But that's more because I get bored with the stuff here, not because the kids do.

Now if someone said there is nothing for a 20-something single to do on a Friday night in Waco then I would agree entirely. It's not a big city and there isn't much nightlife that isn't connected some way to Baylor. But that's a whole another topic.

Old 03-27-2016, 02:56 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
I think the problem is that people compare Waco to DFW, Austin, and Houston. Of course Waco doesn't have nearly as much as those. But if you compare Waco to cities its size, theres actually quite a lot.

Old 03-27-2016, 09:07 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,457,963 times
I just got back from first trip to Texas, and Waco. I have to say I loved it.
Appreciate all the info I got here and from texasdriver. Even after intentionally going through some areas I saw mentioned as sketchy, it was much nicer than I expected from reading most of the waco-related posts going back a few years.

Didn't get to spend as much time as I wanted but hopefully a return trip is in short order. Have to unfortunately check out some of the outer areas better because of school district reasons still. My kids made me get them shakes from Health Camp because they thought the name was so funny..

Old 03-29-2016, 10:55 PM

4 posts, read 5,254 times
I'm from Waco. I've lived here all my life. Waco is a dump. All the hype from fixer upper is bull crap. No one ever gave [mod cut] about this town until someone put a camera on it and painted some [mod cut] houses white. All the people who move to Waco because of that TV show are fools. I've been trying to get out of this town for years. I never did. It sucks u in and won't let you go. The schools are crap. Everyone is touting Midway to be some great school district. I went there and was introduced into all kinds of drugs in high school. The rich kids think they are high class but they live in [mod cut] WACO TEXAS. There are no good jobs here either. I don't know anyone who makes enough money to live off of. All my friends are either poor or working their asses off at factory jobs or retail stores. If u want to go to college here, the choices are Baylor or Mcc. If u want to go to Baylor you have to be RICH or go into debt for the rest of your life. Everyone who stays in this town who wasn't already well off is basically stuck working crap jobs forever. If your bored and rich and just want to live in a diamond on top of a turd, then come to Waco and enjoy.

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 04-29-2016 at 09:28 PM.. Reason: Language. See TOS

Old 04-03-2016, 11:43 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
[mod cut]Growing up in Waco wasn't hell and I actually had lots of fun, but other than that, his post is pretty spot on.

[mod cut]

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 04-29-2016 at 09:36 PM.. Reason: Orphaned quote, removed reference to moderated post

Old 04-07-2016, 01:10 PM

745 posts, read 1,285,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie2542 View Post
I'm from Waco. I've lived here all my life. Waco is a dump.
So if you had children and wanted a safe, happy, affordable and energetic place to raise them where in Texas would that be?

Old 04-07-2016, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwumpus View Post
So if you had children and wanted a safe, happy, affordable and energetic place to raise them where in Texas would that be?
I think Waco would meet that criteria just fine if your looking for a small/midsized city.

Old 04-07-2016, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
I agree. Growing up in Waco wasn't hell and I actually had lots of fun, but other than that, his post is pretty spot on.

[mod cut]
My mother and grandmother live there. As a kid I spend a few weeks there in the summers. As I got older, I used to think Waco was a pure dump. But the city has improved greatly and I saw the error of my way of thinking. Waco is only a dump with nothing to do compared to Houston, DFW, Austin, or San Antonio. If you compare midsized cities in Texas, Waco and Tyler probably would come out the most desirable.

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 04-29-2016 at 09:33 PM..

Old 04-08-2016, 09:03 AM

5,451 posts, read 7,743,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwumpus View Post
Waco is probably as good of a place as any if those are your criteria. The big issue is finding work. If you have a middle or upper middle class income then Waco is a very easy place to live. If you are living paycheck to paycheck on a $10/hr job then not so much.

If you are willing to compromise on the "affordable" criteria then there are dozens of upscale suburbs around all the big cities in Texas that are full of safe energetic kid-friendly neighborhoods with good schools. But you will pay for it in the housing costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas