Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 02:38 PM

39 posts, read 76,670 times

Advertisements

Hi there! Seriously considering moving to Stephenville. With with my love of horses and the Western way of life, I wanted to hear from some locals on what it is like to live here. Jobs? Cost of living? Any fun events I should come see before I make the big move? I love rodeos and anything rodeo/horse related.

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 05:45 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,159,885 times
Here's a good starting point:

http://www.tarleton.edu/rodeo/

Tarleton U. is a branch of Texas A&M U.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:47 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,975,473 times
I've never seen anyone posting on the Texas forum who actually lives or has lived in Stephenville, but for a short period of time I worked for a public sector organization that had its HQ in Stephenville, so I had to drive over there from Mineral Wells, where I was based, fairly often.

First of all, having mentioned Mineral Wells, let me put in this disclaimer: there in No resemblance between Miserable Wells and Stephenville. The former has been a very sad, marginal place ever since Fort Wolters closed at the end of the Viet Nam War, and the town - once a resort - had already been in decline since its pre-WWII heyday. Also, MW is in a strange little micro-environment called the Palo Pinto Mountains (hills, really), whereas the land around Stephenville is rolling prairie.

So, I always found Stephenville a cute, attractive little town, and Tarleton State University has a nice, neat campus for a fairly small institution. It does indeed feel very cowboy country around Stephenville, and it's really pretty country if you like that type of prairie terrain; not flat, but rolling, slightly rugged and very slightly hilly grassland (what's not under cultivation). The town has a big enough population - approaching 20,000 now - to afford some amenities. It is really out by itself, yet still not so far from Fort Worth that it would be difficult to get into the city for occasional things. It does feel a lot less tied to Fort Worth than, say, Weatherford, which seems practically a bedroom community of FW.

Agriculture/ranching is the main industry and source of employment in Stephenville. Employment opportunities might be rather limited -- depends on what you are qualified to do, no doubt. However, they are big enough to have a range of businesses, services and institutions to support the needs of the community and the agricultural industry.

If you look at the demographic info in Wikipedia, it would seem that the community is fairly well-balanced on a number of parameters. Incomes are not generally very high, which would suggest that residential properties - to buy or to rent - are probably not terribly expensive. Possibly, however, the options may be limited, as is often the case in small communities.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:40 AM

39 posts, read 76,670 times
Interesting.. a lot to think about! Thank you for your information :-)

Old 11-25-2014, 10:50 AM

17,778 posts, read 13,670,239 times
Stephenville is nice. Sits in what are known as the cross timbers so it's greener than what you expect from west Texas. Agreed that Tarleton is a nice campus and provides some activities including top notch rodeo events.

http://www.tarleton.edu/rodeo/

Old 03-17-2019, 03:30 PM

8,491 posts, read 8,774,574 times
I don't think I had ever heard of Stephenville until today and I am big into learning about towns & geography. Have checked out a lot of other bigger, more prominent Texas college towns. The size of this town is smaller than some of the others. That has pluses and minuses but it looks interesting to me.

Any major new developments / issues? New evaluations? I've read all the older threads about it.

Old 03-17-2019, 03:48 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,081,697 times
No, all is pretty much the same,lol

Old 03-17-2019, 04:07 PM

8,491 posts, read 8,774,574 times
Yeah I guess in general.

Saw something though about a local club there getting a Bret Michaels show. They said that was new.

Could Stephenville get more drip, drips of something a bit beyond what it has been?

Besides size and all that entails how would you compare and contrast Stephenville with Tyler? If willing to do so. Vibe, getting community enhancements done, etc.

Last edited by NW Crow; 03-17-2019 at 05:08 PM..

Old 03-18-2019, 08:36 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,622,212 times
It is one of the leading dairy counties in the state, and it was determined by the Tx Supreme Court in a case a few years back that the smell is 'normal'. So pick your location with care.

Quote:
In December [2017], 50 dairies in Erath County produced 97.6 million pounds of milk, making the county the fourth-leading milk producer in the state. It ranks behind Parmer (111.3 million pounds), Castro (105.8 million pounds), and Hartley (98.1 million pounds). All three leading counties are on the western edge of the Texas Panhandle.)

Old 03-18-2019, 09:58 AM

1,062 posts, read 979,914 times
Well they make sausages or something
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas