Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 04:17 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,598,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
Yeah I agree the deserts in America aren't real deserts. I've been to Utah, Nevada and Arizona and these places had a lot of bushes. I don't associate deserts with a lot of plants. My idea of a "real" desert are like the ones you see on TV like the Sahara. When I think of a desert I think of nothing but sand and no plants. I haven't seen that anywhere in America.
There are a few areas in the desert Southwest that are completely barren, like the Imperial Dunes in the California desert just West of Yuma, AZ (where they filmed the Jawa scenes in the first Star Wars movie), in Death Valley, CA, and along the Colorado River valley in AZ, CA, and Southern Nevada.

Not as wide an expanse as the Sahara or the Saudi Arabian desert, but just as barren, sun-baked, and dry. Nothing like that in Texas though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 04:16 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
I beg to differ Bob - Google up "Monahans State Park" images.

Old 01-09-2015, 04:53 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,598,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
I beg to differ Bob - Google up "Monahans State Park" images.
Yes, and there are sand dunes on Padre Island too. Even more so than in Monahans. Monahans isn't in a true desert. It receives too much rain (13 inches annually). The sand there is kept in place by a root system of Shinoak scrub. It is not caused by dry conditions.

Old 01-10-2015, 12:25 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Not as wide an expanse as the Sahara or the Saudi Arabian desert, but just as barren, sun-baked, and dry. Nothing like that in Texas though.
Certainly not as expansive as the Sahara but very close to Texas, I've been on sand dunes on the W.I.P.P site in SE New Mexico that are acres and acres of just bare sand. They are quite beautiful at night with only a full moon and a Coleman lantern shining across them.

Old 01-11-2015, 11:46 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,064,420 times
That's right Monahans State Park is semi-desert not desert. I've yet to see a place in the U.S. that I really few is hardcore desert. It sounds like there are a few places out there I just haven't been to them. In addition to the Sahara, Saudi Arabia, I heard the Gobi Desert in western China is a real desert. I heard it has sand dunes and is very dry like the Sahara.

Old 11-30-2018, 12:12 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,965,161 times
Quote:
It's rare, but I've even heard people claim that they thought Houston was in the desert. Houston.

Yes, the ignorance is rampant. Some people actually think that the presence of Cactus = "desert". The only part of Texas that strikes me as TRULY desert is the two Westernmost counties (El Paso and Hudspeth). Some of Presidio county as well, but even much of the Trans-Pecos, though definitely dry and rugged, seems more Steppe to me than actual desert. There are even some small pockets of Pine and Juniper forest in the Davis mountains.

Cities like Amarillo and Lubbock are not even close to being desert. That's just the high, grassy plains. More like Kansas than Arizona.
Shhhh...keep it secret! If everyone knows Houston has the same weather and scenery as Northern Florida, they'll be flocking to Houston in droves!

Old 11-30-2018, 12:15 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,965,161 times
Quote:
Yes, and there are sand dunes on Padre Island too. Even more so than in Monahans. Monahans isn't in a true desert. It receives too much rain (13 inches annually). The sand there is kept in place by a root system of Shinoak scrub. It is not caused by dry conditions.
Actually, Tuscon receives about 12 inches annually, YET it still is true desert.

Old 11-30-2018, 12:26 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,386,686 times
the Trans-Pecos is the only part of the state of Texas that is desert.

Old 12-02-2018, 09:40 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,485,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
the Trans-Pecos is the only part of the state of Texas that is desert.
I drove from Los Angeles to Midland last year and the vast majority of that route was desert. The scenery was nearly the same, whether you were in the eastern part of California, Arizona, New Mexico, and even as far east in Texas as Pecos. I think it only started getting noticeably greener once I reached West Odessa or so.

Still, I'm surprised how many people buy into the stereotype that Texas is a big desert. I had a friend visit me in Dallas a month ago and she commented about the surprising abundance of trees there. And on a vacation to Georgia, when I tell people I'm visiting from Texas, they often say something along the lines of you don't see as many trees back home as here, right?

Old 12-02-2018, 09:54 AM

1,965 posts, read 1,268,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Actually, Tuscon receives about 12 inches annually, YET it still is true desert.
The rainfall is more in Tucson than most deserts, but the evapotranspiration is high enough to render the area truly arid. Monahans would probably be true desert if the winters were warmer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas