Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 09:57 AM

1,965 posts, read 1,268,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Still, I'm surprised how many people buy into the stereotype that Texas is a big desert. I had a friend visit me in Dallas a month ago and she commented about the surprising abundance of trees there. And on a vacation to Georgia, when I tell people I'm visiting from Texas, they often say something along the lines of you don't see as many trees back home as here, right?
And even if it were true, a lot of people conflate the wetness of a climate with the presence of trees, when there are many other abiotic factors that come to play. The salt marshes down in Louisiana don't have much trees either, yet is every bit soggy and wet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 11:28 AM

2,089 posts, read 3,907,034 times
Texas has plenty of desert, west of the Pecos River for sure. If you want to see sand dunes head out to Monahans.

Old 12-02-2018, 03:35 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,963,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post
And even if it were true, a lot of people conflate the wetness of a climate with the presence of trees, when there are many other abiotic factors that come to play. The salt marshes down in Louisiana don't have much trees either, yet is every bit soggy and wet.
Just a couple miles inland, though, from the coast in Louisiana, you'll see the thickest bald cypress and pine forests imaginable, just as you would expect from the rainiest state in the country.

Here's something to blow your mind: Dubai is humid. Yep. They receive dew points at least as high as Houston, New Orleans, or Florida; often 80+ dew points with triple digit heat. And...they're in a desert. Less than 5 inches of rain a year, but still plenty of humidity, probably due to the freakishly warm Persian Gulf currents nearby.

Old 12-02-2018, 03:36 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,963,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
Texas has plenty of desert, west of the Pecos River for sure. If you want to see sand dunes head out to Monahans.
No one's doubting that the Trans-Pecos is desert, but the big question is, why does everyone picture all of Texas as being like the Trans-Pecos? Most people here in California think Houston is desert. Imagine their surprise when I tell them Houston is Texas with Florida weather!

Old 12-02-2018, 04:18 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Just a couple miles inland, though, from the coast in Louisiana, you'll see the thickest bald cypress and pine forests imaginable, just as you would expect from the rainiest state in the country.

Here's something to blow your mind: Dubai is humid. Yep. They receive dew points at least as high as Houston, New Orleans, or Florida; often 80+ dew points with triple digit heat. And...they're in a desert. Less than 5 inches of rain a year, but still plenty of humidity, probably due to the freakishly warm Persian Gulf currents nearby.
Yep, this is the worst possible climate. High humidity is fine if it comes with periodical rains.

Similar deal around Blythe, CA and Yuma, AZ.. frequent 80+ dewpoints despite being in the desert but at least those high dewpoints are often followed by rainfall.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:17 AM

1,062 posts, read 981,191 times
Texas has a lot of desert and semi arid area so it's not that inaccurate https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geogra...%C3%B6ppen.svg

Old 12-03-2018, 07:18 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,265,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
No one's doubting that the Trans-Pecos is desert, but the big question is, why does everyone picture all of Texas as being like the Trans-Pecos? Most people here in California think Houston is desert. Imagine their surprise when I tell them Houston is Texas with Florida weather!
Most people have a terrible sense of geography, I don't think that's unique to people's opinions on Texas.

Most people forget that most of NY isn't NYC.

Most people forget there is more to California than SoCal.

Most people forget that Arizona has parts that have highs in the 70s and lots of snow.

The Majority of people I meet here in Texas think Idaho is in the midwest. "Potatoes" and assume it looks like Iowa instead of Montana.

Most people forget a huge part of Montana looks like the Dakotas.

I don't think it's a unique thing.

The most Iconic Texas films: Giant, Hell or High Water, Second Hand Lions etc are set in West Texas. Once you have a setting in mind for "Texas" why try to change it? It's a director's job to tell a story, not educate people on the geography of a place. You don't see any movies set in California that are set outside their own stereotypes.

If Houston specifically wanted to show everyone how green it was the best thing it could do would be to have more movies and TV shows set there that showcase how it actually looks, like Breaking Bad did with New Mexico.

Finally, alot of Texas is either semi arid or desert so it is true of a lot of the geographical area of Texas if not the big cities are all humid/semitropical

I for one was the most surprised how humid Dallas is when I moved here, though I expected that from Houston, being on the gulf and all that.

Old 12-03-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
Texas has a lot of desert and semi arid area so it's not that inaccurate https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geogra...%C3%B6ppen.svg
Except that a much larger area of Texas is humid subtropical. Even Oregon and Washington have a larger percentage of deserts/semi-arid areas in their states.

Last edited by kemahkami; 12-03-2018 at 11:27 AM..

Old 12-03-2018, 11:50 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,265,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post
Except that a much larger area of Texas is humid subtropical. Even Oregon and Washington have a larger percentage of deserts/semi-arid areas in their states.
Sure, but no one thinks of Oregon or Washington as high desert states, they think of whats west of the Cascades.

Old 12-03-2018, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Sure, but no one thinks of Oregon or Washington as high desert states, they think of whats west of the Cascades.
Duh, that's the point!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas