Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 06:50 PM

107 posts, read 154,942 times

Advertisements

Not so far ago I learned that not only in Europe evidently false statement that Texas is composed mostly of deserts is popular.

From what does Texas derives its reputation as the deserted land? From its geographical location in Southwestern United States which is, by the way, disputable? From its proximity to New Mexico and Arizona, at least on the Contigous United States map?

Thing that is even more commonly associated with Texas is cowboy. How to graze and pasture all those Texan cows on deserts?

Logic fails when popular image starts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 06:54 PM

587 posts, read 960,808 times
It mostly comes from old westerns set in Texas but filmed in places like Utah.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:52 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
Most people don't have a clue as to the definition of desert but as Midessan stated, Hollywood is the blame for Texas being thought of by those who have never visited it as mostly desert.

My favorites old westerns supposed set in early Texas have always been those where the cowboy in a white hat chases the bandits always in black hats by a eucalyptus tree or a saguaro cactus.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:55 PM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
A lot of Texas is classified as semi arid steppe which means that it gets a little more rain than a desert, but in the grand scheme of things doesn't look much different. Midland Odessa isn't a desert but to someone who didn't know better it looks like one. Same with Lubbock. Same with Amarillo. Same with Laredo. Probably 1/4th to 1/3rd of Texas looks similar enough to deserts that it could be mistaken for one.

Officially though, only the trans pecos region (roughly) is 'desert'.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:22 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
Yeah well....we had an exchange student from Germany who expected to see indians living in teepees on the plains.

It's all those old Hollywood western movies that were filmed in the Mojave desert east of LA or monument valley Arizona.

Old 12-17-2014, 05:26 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yenisey View Post
Not so far ago I learned that not only in Europe evidently false statement that Texas is composed mostly of deserts is popular.

From what does Texas derives its reputation as the deserted land? From its geographical location in Southwestern United States which is, by the way, disputable? From its proximity to New Mexico and Arizona, at least on the Contigous United States map?

Thing that is even more commonly associated with Texas is cowboy. How to graze and pasture all those Texan cows on deserts?

Logic fails when popular image starts?
Everything is relative.

In the mid 70's, my father was posted to Saudi Arabia and was flying over the Rub' al Khali (Empty Quarter) of the country. He was asked what he thought.

"Makes West Texas look like the %#$*** Garden of Eden!".

Old 12-17-2014, 06:14 AM

587 posts, read 960,808 times
Now that I think about it, it's not just westerns. Movies like Tin Cup, Swordfish, and many others that are not westerns portray Odessa as mountainous desert.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:47 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Most people don't have a clue as to the definition of desert but as Midessan stated, Hollywood is the blame for Texas being thought of by those who have never visited it as mostly desert.

My favorites old westerns supposed set in early Texas have always been those where the cowboy in a white hat chases the bandits always in black hats by a eucalyptus tree or a saguaro cactus.
Or....they're supposedly standing on the banks of the Rio Grande/Bravo.....and you see Monument Valley across the river.

I choked on my beer.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:39 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,158,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I choked on my beer.
Hope it was either Lone Star or Shiner's!

Old 12-17-2014, 08:41 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
Hope it was either Lone Star or Shiner's!
LOL! Probably LS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas