Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2008, 10:20 PM

13 posts, read 42,512 times

Advertisements

Hey all, what do any of you know about horse activities in Hico?
Is there arenas you can go to, lots of trail riding?

We will be moving out there in the next couple of months, when we do we will be looking for horses, a Paint a Morgan and a kid horse for a 4 year old beginner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 07:48 AM

11,858 posts, read 26,881,949 times
Hico is big horse country! Stephenville has most of the big venues (like the Lone Star Arena), but that's only a very short drive away. Just about everyone down there rides western. As for trail riding, Dinosaur Valley State park in Glen Rose has MILES of excellent trails. Again, that's just a few miles away.

I hate to tell you, but you will have a hard time finding a Morgan in Texas. Unfortunately, there are very few of them down here, and most of those were brought by people moving from the East Coast. Most of what we have here are Paints and QHs, with lots of Arabians and quite a few Thoroughbreds. So, you might consider looking for a breed that is more common here, or bringing a Morgan with you!

On the kid horse, you will need to look very carefully, but there are a lot of them out there. They are usually not advertised very much, except maybe a poster at the local feed store. Most of them sell by word-of-mouth.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:12 PM

Thank you so much! Sounds like good places to start.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:43 PM

11 posts, read 39,046 times
My husband and I recently moved from Wyoming to Hico/Stephenville area because of all the horse-related activities also. In Hamilton, about 20 South of Hico, is the Circle T Arena that also has a picnin area, pool, western store, restaurant, hotel and home of the TV show on RFD regarding the Performance Horse. Another arena can be found in Glen Rose approx. 30 miles NE and don't forget about all the great events hosted in Ft. Worth
at the Will Rodgers Coliseum; historic Ft. Worth Stockyards is a great day trip to wander down the old brick streets and shop, eat, drink, music, cowboy poetry gatherings, World horse shows, etc. and the Cowtown Coliseum, as well. You can trail ride around Lake Proctor located between Dublin and DeLeon and it's about 25 miles more or less from Hico. If you have your heart set on a Morgan, take ChristiP's advice. I use to work at a guest/dude ranch in Wyoming for many years and they always "retired" many of the old timers free to good homes. They were getting up in years and the rocky, steep mountain trails and long winters were getting to be too hard on them but, they still had
many good years and the bomb-proof experience necessary for a great kids horse. The western dude ranch seasons would cull the remuda in Sept/Oct. I wonder if local dude ranches down here might do the same? I could put you in touch with the ranch in WY but, transportation to TX would be at your expense. Moderator cut: advertising

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 03-24-2008 at 11:07 AM..

Old 04-02-2008, 10:45 PM

Thanx again folks for ALL the help, will be looking into the horse thing soon.
There is a place out in Weatherford, the OK Corral, might swing by there one day and take a look.

Old 05-19-2008, 06:36 PM

1 posts, read 4,244 times
Talking have you found any horses yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady White Wolf View Post
Thank you so much! Sounds like good places to start.

my mom has two she is asking 1000.00 for both. 903-498-4426 these horses are spoild kinda like over grown dogs ask for donna

Old 05-19-2008, 06:59 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,382,695 times
i went to Circle T Arena in Hamilton yesterday-have lots of pics. will post. AWESOME HIGH DOLLAR TOP NOTCH EQUESTRIAN FACILITY-arena, steakhouse, grill/bar, hotel, saddlery, and swimming pool! i can belly up to the bar for drinks and watch cutting horses (bar adjoins the arena and is open air, granite bar) and then dip in the pool!
and hotel has rnatural rock pool and hot tub. incredible. i will be going there on weekends for SURE. this weekend they have team ropin championship!
yesterday RFD TV was filming All Performance Horse show. stuidio is right there!

Old 05-20-2008, 11:12 AM

Talking Horses and Hico

Thank you so much for all the replies...you know I have heard a lot about Circle T arean I will have to go check it out!! I had no idea that is where they did part of the RFD deal!
I want to see the pool...and perhaps the bar.
Also we did find a couple of horses, they are 1 and 2 and were basically neglect cases.

Do post pics!

Old 05-20-2008, 06:40 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,382,695 times
i will try to load em to photobucket and post em later tonite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady White Wolf View Post
Thank you so much for all the replies...you know I have heard a lot about Circle T arean I will have to go check it out!! I had no idea that is where they did part of the RFD deal!
I want to see the pool...and perhaps the bar.
Also we did find a couple of horses, they are 1 and 2 and were basically neglect cases.

Do post pics!

Old 05-23-2008, 02:36 PM

Great! Well we are going to sell the yearling and keep the 2 year old, so if anyone knows anyone interested in a 10 month old Line back Dun colt with lots of primitive stripes give ma a holler! He is looking and feeling MUCH better, shedding and putting on weight, UTD on all vaccinations and worming needs a trainer to love. $300 obo. Now I will search for an Arab or Arab cross....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas