Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 09:17 PM

693 posts, read 1,108,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
What kind of academic program are you looking for? Tech is the better school for business, but A&M is better at sciences and engineering.
surely you're joking, right? Mays Business School at Texas A&M is MUCH more respected than whatever passes for a b-school in Lubbock. sorry to derail this thread, but it is hard to let grossly incompetent statements go unnoticed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 10:05 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,572,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalballmagic View Post
Im going to law school after so save it.
Conveniently leaving your law school plans off by saying your plans are for a silly history degree doesn't leave much room for hostility, sweetie.

Old 03-16-2015, 04:44 AM

11,858 posts, read 26,881,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 979Texan View Post
surely you're joking, right? Mays Business School at Texas A&M is MUCH more respected than whatever passes for a b-school in Lubbock. sorry to derail this thread, but it is hard to let grossly incompetent statements go unnoticed.
Sorry for my ignorance.

Old 03-16-2015, 04:46 AM

11,858 posts, read 26,881,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalballmagic View Post
History
Oh my. You better be a good bartender, because that's what you will be doing to support yourself after you get a history degree. If you want to teach, at least you can hopefully get a job with some benefits...

Old 03-16-2015, 07:49 AM

1,985 posts, read 3,319,407 times
Why are some of yall being such a-holes to the OP? Just answer his question and leave it alone.

Old 03-16-2015, 01:12 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,038,514 times
I'll take college station. More of a southern feel more greenery. And Sec football.

Old 03-18-2015, 04:41 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
The weather is worse than CS, and there isn't much to do. Lubbock was recently voted the most boring city in the USA. IN CS, there are lakes, national forests, close access to historical sights to visit, and all the stuff in Houston. Its also not far from the gulf. In Lubbock its 300 miles to Ft. Worth, and there isn't much in between but oil wells, cotton, and cows. The dust storms aren't much fun either.

Old 03-18-2015, 05:15 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
I mean no disrespect to Lubbock, but College Station should be an easy choice. The student body is larger so the feel of the area is younger, though there are plenty of families around. Bryan is next door and adds some character. The weather is typical for the area, but much better than dusty Lubbock. B/CS is two hours from Austin and Houston, and a bit more to DFW.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:50 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,981,030 times
I did my lower division undergrad at Texas Tech, although it wasn't a full two years as I got 18 semester hours via the CLEP exams. Upper division at UT-Austin. The level of instruction at UT generally seemed much higher than at Tech, and I actually did do a couple of lower division courses at UT during the summer between Spring and Fall terms at Tech, so it isn't just an artifact of my courses at Tech having been lower division and the ones at UT upper division. I had a high school friend who started out at Tech and then transferred to A&M, who made the same observation -- that she felt her family were getting their money's worth at A&M, in contrast to Texas Tech. This was a long time ago, of course, but UT and A&M are both institutions with world class ambitions. I don't think you can say the same of Tech, although that's not to say that Tech doesn't have some good programs and faculty.

I'd be interested to know where the OP is from and how old they are, as that could also be germane to making a decision between Tech and A&M/Lubbock vs. College Station.

By the way, some people seem to be continually missing the OP's statement that they are using history as essentially a pre-law degree (political science tends to be more usual in my experience), and not as a terminal BA.

Old 03-24-2015, 02:10 PM

344 posts, read 1,250,984 times
Plenty of bartending options for both towns. Lubbock weather is crazy though with the dust storms. College Station is situated nicely being centrally located between Houston, Austin/SA, & Metroplex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas