Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 06:47 PM

3 posts, read 12,776 times

Advertisements

My husband and I along with our 3 year old daughter, might possibly be moving to the Mexia area? Any opinions on schools, churches, the community at large would be appreciated. WE are both from TX, but have never lived in that area. Also, what about Teague or Groesbeck and also Buffalo?
Thanks!
Karie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 08:04 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,952,340 times
There is really a place called Mexia.. WOW!

I did not know that.. here are a couple links. Wish I knew more to tell you but I don't hope these links help.

City of Mexia - Welcome to the City of Mexia! (broken link)

Mexia Daily News - Homepage

I have a friend in Waco, I will talk with him soon, and see what he has to say.

Cool facts and info..

Mexia Texas.

School info

Welcome to Mexia ISD

Last edited by Muhnay; 01-15-2008 at 08:22 PM..

Old 01-16-2008, 08:35 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Mexia got a lot of attention because of Anna Nicole (her hometown). Nice little town as is Groesbeck. Had relatives that lived down there and grew up (kind of distant relatives so don't talk to them much at all). They all seemed to like it and all but 1 of the 6 kids still lives somewhat close by (even after going off to college). The closest "big" cities (HA!) are going to be College Station and Waco. Houston and Dallas are going to be about 2 hours away.

There is an old Aggie joke about Mexia (pronounced men-HAY-uh). Two aggies were driving down the highway when they first saw the sign for "Mexia". Well they started arguing over how to say it. So when they got to the exit for Mexia they took it and stopped at the first place they came to. They went flying in and almost out of breath asked the lady there, "Real slowly can you pronounce the name of the place we are in". The lady looked at'em and finally said, "Maaaaaaac-dooooooon-allllllldddddssss". Of course this joke was probably originally told as follows:
24 September 1977, Dallas (TX) Morning News, “Knowing Who We Are” by Jack Anderson, section D, pg. 3:
PAUL CRUME told of two men who stopped for a hamburger in Mexia, south of Dallas. While waiting at the counter, one asked the waitress, “How do you pronounce the name of this place?”
“I beg your pardon. What do you mean?” she replied.
“We are from out of state. How do you say where we are?”
Answering the question she thought she heard, she articulated slowly, “D-A-I-R-Y Q-U-E-E-N.”

Anyway, good luck

Old 01-16-2008, 09:21 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,275,575 times
The races is Mexia are about 50% white, 32% black, and 18% Hispanic. The crime rate is relatively high for a town with only a bit over 6,000 people.

Many years ago, two of my friends taught school there and didn't like it. It was a pretty rough town, and I'm quoting them who lived there for several years.

I went to visit them and didn't like the area either, but that is just my opinion. There are definitely better and prettier parts of Texas.

I had a beau once in Groesbeck and although I didn't particularly care for that town either, I would choose it over Mexia.

Old 05-12-2008, 04:53 PM

7 posts, read 26,435 times
Dont go to Mexia..Its my home town and you couldnt PAY me to raise my children there now.
The high school has their own Police Officers!
That should tell you all you need to know!

Groesbeck?
We're a small town, smaller than Mexia with a Police station and a Sheriffs Department, nothing goes on around here that everyone doesnt know about.

Best of luck to ya.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:44 PM

3 posts, read 11,947 times
I would tend to agree with most of these replies. Mexia is where we go to Wal-Mart, HEB, & Beals. They also have several good places to eat. A friend of mine has a daughter who is a police officer. She transferred work from Groesbeck or some other small town around here back to Mexia because she said that was the only town aroun here that was exciting for a police officer. LOL! Not sure what that means, but you can draw your own conclusions. If you're looking for a town that's about the same size as Mexia but a little nicer, try Fairfield. It's right off the interstate, is a county seat (has a bunch of cute little shops around the historic downtown square/courthouse) and I've heard a lot of positive things about their schools, too.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:14 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,631,650 times
I have a dear friend from Mexia who now lives in Hewitt. Multi decorated war vet and salt of the earth kinda guy! He has corrected me twice on pronouncing the name but it is basically "Mah-hair"! I was there a couple of times with him just traveling. It did seem kinda ruff!

Old 01-21-2009, 05:58 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,772,088 times
Some friends of mine moved to Teague and they loved it there. I've been through Mexia, had met some people from there and I have to say I wouldn't want to move there. Much better places to choose from in my opinion.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:51 AM

1 posts, read 5,887 times
First off, Mexia is NOT a horrible place to live...You shouldn't give info if you don't know...Mexia has been an excellent town and school as I grew up here. However, the past few years it has seem to got worse because of the increase in people wanting to act like a gangster by being rude and immature. But, that is to be expected by kids who don't have parents who teach them right from wrong. Mexia doesn't contain the cliche cliques. When it comes to the school police, it is not because the kids are bad. It is because Mexia has many restrictions in order to keep their students safe in the hallways as well as enforce the standarized dress code. However, in the past few years, the school board's concern about the kids has decreased. They make selfish decisions, and have not made it enjoyable for me to attend school there. Also, at the moment, MISD is currently .5 million dollars in debt, and the new superintendent got kicked out of his previous school district (Argyle). You can infer how nervous we are with him being in charge here. As to the city, as long as i have lived here there has never been a murder, kidnapping, or a real robbery. The crime rate is not high at all.. Groesbeck is no better when it comes to the rude want-to-be thugs. The isd has plenty of money, but the city does not have much to offer. Students that attend their school seem to go back and forth from liking it to hating it. Also, Mexia and Groesbeck have kids that drink and do drugs, but, compared to Groesbeck, not nearly as many Mexia students participate in these activities. Teague is nice and little. There isn't really much in this city either. The school work is extremely easy, and the school seems laid back. The only con to Teague, besides the fact that there isn't much there, is that a good amount of the students are homosexual (I don't have a problem with it, but it should still be stated) and the students contain an "I don't care" attitude. They back talk their teachers and say whatever they want to them; the majority are highly rude. Also, from my understanding, there is a ton a drama there. I would say your best bet is Fairfield. I always longed to attend school there. Their school is well off with money, drinking and drugs is really no problem, the city has a good amount to offer and the school spirit is great. The school is also laid back with dress code and they truly care about their students. The only thing I have heard about Fairfield is that they are snobby due to the fact that a good amount of the families have money. However, I have yet to meet a snobby person from Fairfield. They seem extremely welcoming. I hope this helped a ton, and I'm sorry to trash talk the towns. But, the cons are important to know.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:42 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,183,065 times
The pronunciation I've heard is something like 'meh-HAY-ya'. That doesn't makes sense in English OR Spanish!

Citizen of Mexia: Good post. One can't know how it is to live in a town without living in it. Driving through doesn't tell you much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas