Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2015, 08:32 PM

2 posts, read 2,435 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to Sherman in the next couple of months. We are debating on getting a house or buying a mobile house with land. Any suggestions? Is there a reason why we should purchase one instead of other? I'm moving from dallas and have had my fair run ins with tornados. Does sherman get them? That would be why I wouldn't want to buy a mobile home, don't want to fly away !

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 09:51 PM

756 posts, read 834,185 times
Exclamation No You Will Be Fine:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosy214 View Post
We will be moving to Sherman in the next couple of months. We are debating on getting a house or buying a mobile house with land. Any suggestions? Is there a reason why we should purchase one instead of other? I'm moving from dallas and have had my fair run ins with tornados. Does sherman get them? That would be why I wouldn't want to buy a mobile home, don't want to fly away !

Any help would be greatly appreciated
You will not fly away in a manufactured house. They are supposed to be placed on concrete slabs and pilings, and I thought that this was Texas State Law?! So check the foundation of any house before buying it.

Also, you just cannot go about life worrying about tornadoes, unless it is a known area such as Moore, Oklahoma.

Old 04-21-2015, 03:47 PM

804 posts, read 1,075,819 times
I haven't seen any mobile homes on slabs and pilings. the only thing holding them down besides some straps into the ground is luck.

Old 04-22-2015, 02:00 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
There is a difference between a mobile home and a manufactured home. A mobile home is just want it says in its name, it's mobile, it can move. It is not attached to anything. Granted, you can take a mobile home and attach it to a slab if you want, and it's easier to obtain financing for it, but a mobile home has a VIN and thus is a vehicle and not a house.

For resale value, since you asked for opinions, you should get a house, not a mobile home. There is always a market for a house and you'll be able to sell it. There is a very small market for mobile homes and they just don't appreciate, only the land does.

Old 04-27-2015, 05:21 PM

756 posts, read 834,185 times
Post But they are supposed to be!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintersbone View Post
I haven't seen any mobile homes on slabs and pilings. the only thing holding them down besides some straps into the ground is luck.
Also, Falcon is right. There is a huge difference between a mobile home and a manufactured home and a modular home. Mobile Homes are worthless. They are difficult to get a mortgage and if you can get the mortgage, they are still worthless. The value is for the land and people buy land properties that happen to have an old mobile home on them. They use the old mobile home as temporary shelter until they can find a manufactured house to be moved onto their land.

And the last time I heard of a tornado striking Sherman is ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: