Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 11:08 PM

29 posts, read 28,436 times

Advertisements

We are supposed to travel to Texas in 2 weeks for a road trip throughout the Central part of the state and down to Corpus Christi. With the weather going on and all of the damage that has been done, should we move it to a later date? I'm concerned that we will have a hard time finding hotels to stay with so many being being displaced by the flooding and I'd rather those hotel rooms go to people in need. Also power outages and roads being washed out due to flooding. Praying for all of Texas!

Last edited by sonib914; 05-26-2015 at 12:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 07:26 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,902,803 times
It's not as bad as the media tells you. Most of the flooding is in central TX not near Corpus Christi.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:20 AM

Central Texas is where we are going. Corpus is just one of the stops throughout our trip. We're going to Longview, Houston, San Antonio, corpus, Austin, Waco and back to Dallas.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:27 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,509,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonib914 View Post
We are supposed to travel to Texas in 2 weeks for a road trip throughout the Central part of the state and down to Corpus Christi. With the weather going on and all of the damage that has been done, should we move it to a later date? I'm concerned that we will have a hard time finding hotels to stay with so many being being displaced by the flooding and I'd rather those hotel rooms go to people in need. Also power outages and roads being washed out due to flooding. Praying for all of Texas!
In 2 weeks this will be all clear and you will not notice that anything unusual had happened. So unless there is another major event in the days leading up to your trip I would say proceed with your trip as planned.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:40 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,657,499 times
Unless you had booked a place to stay on the Blanco, Guadalupe, San Marcos River, etc., then it is not going to be an issue. Also, maybe scratch Wimberely off the itinerary, if it was on there.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:46 AM

3,028 posts, read 5,089,888 times
Quote:
Central Texas is where we are going. Corpus is just one of the stops throughout our trip. We're going to Longview, Houston, San Antonio, corpus, Austin, Waco and back to Dallas.
Curious, what's in Longview, you're so close to Tyler coming from Dallas, check out the Rose Garden in Tyler in about 2 weeks the roses should be in full bloom. Largest city owned rose garden in the country. Lot's of places to eat, if you've got time for the zoo in Tyler, really nice but shouldn't take more than an hour or two, many people come from DFW to enjoy it. Then head out Highway 69 to Lufkin to Houston. Just saying, unless their are relatives in Longview, nice place but?

Or the Brookshire Wildlife and Country Store for a fast hour free visit, if it's too hot for zoo.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...93990622,d.b2w

Old 05-26-2015, 09:56 AM

554 posts, read 746,076 times
Quote:

"Officials in parts of Texas are warning that flooding could last for weeks in the wake of unprecedented amounts of May rainfall.
"

This ... Plus the fact that weather in Texas can (or may) continue along these same lines caused us to cancel-out our plans to visit Corpus, Rockport, and Houston by way of Austin and San Antonio.
In my past life, I've driven Texas roads during storms & hurricanes - not doing that anymore!
If y'all are coming from out-of-state and are unused to driving in bad weather (wind, heavy rain, thunder & lightning), think about postponing 'til another time.
We canceled hotels, airline, and rental car reservations, just 2 days before we were supposed to fly in.
I didn't get this old by taking the kinds of chances I used to take, when younger - especially with my wife & Family.
Of Course - YMMV ... TC ...

Old 05-26-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
Curious, what's in Longview, you're so close to Tyler coming from Dallas, check out the Rose Garden in Tyler in about 2 weeks the roses should be in full bloom. Largest city owned rose garden in the country. Lot's of places to eat, if you've got time for the zoo in Tyler, really nice but shouldn't take more than an hour or two, many people come from DFW to enjoy it. Then head out Highway 69 to Lufkin to Houston. Just saying, unless their are relatives in Longview, nice place but?

Or the Brookshire Wildlife and Country Store for a fast hour free visit, if it's too hot for zoo.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...93990622,d.b2w
We have friends in Longview. I was thinking about going through Tyler. Thanks for the suggestions! How about College Station? Worth seeing?

Old 05-27-2015, 11:16 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,300,403 times
It's 24 hours later in Houston, and short of the people that have flooded homes, you'd never know anything had happened.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:16 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,193,904 times
Quote:
We have friends in Longview. I was thinking about going through Tyler. Thanks for the suggestions! How about College Station? Worth seeing?
No (and please note my screen name).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas