Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2015, 05:53 PM

587 posts, read 961,278 times

Advertisements

According to Newgeography.com

Best cities for job growth 2015 (all cities)

1 Midland, TX
2 Greeley, CO
3 Odessa, TX
4 San Francisco-Redwood City-South San Francisco, CA
5 San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA
6 Provo-Orem, UT
7 Naples-Immokalee-Marco Island, FL
8 Cape Coral-Fort Myers, FL
9 Columbus, IN
10 Dallas-Plano-Irving, TX

Yes, they are aware of the recent drop in energy prices, and have factored it in accordingly but Midland and Odessa remain strong anyway. That fits with what I am seeing on the ground. Yes, there have been layoffs and bankruptcies and rigs stacked all over, but there are also still many companies hiring and expanding and construction continues all over the area.

All Cities Rankings - 2015 Best Cities for Job Growth | Newgeography.com

Here is how all Texas cities did.

1 Midland, TX
3 Odessa, TX
10 Dallas-Plano-Irving, TX
12 Austin-Round Rock, TX
18 Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land, TX
24 Victoria, TX
30 San Antonio-New Braunfels, TX
37 Fort Worth-Arlington, TX
60 San Angelo, TX
62 Corpus Christi, TX
64 Laredo, TX
70 Longview, TX
73 McAllen-Edinburg-Mission, TX
121 Tyler, TX
134 Lubbock, TX
135 College Station-Bryan, TX
139 Beaumont-Port Arthur, TX
147 Brownsville-Harlingen, TX
155 Killeen-Temple, TX
207 Sherman-Denison, TX
233 El Paso, TX
234 Abilene, TX
266 Amarillo, TX
288 Waco, TX
400 Texarkana, TX-AR
401 Wichita Falls, TX
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 06:29 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Amazing how San Francisco out competes with the oil patch when you consider how much bigger a city it is, a smaller percentage would be many more jobs. Dallas is way down on the list comparatively.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:44 PM

587 posts, read 961,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Amazing how San Francisco out competes with the oil patch when you consider how much bigger a city it is, a smaller percentage would be many more jobs. Dallas is way down on the list comparatively.
Yeah, in absolute numbers, New York City would always crush everyplace else.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:10 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midessan View Post
Yeah, in absolute numbers, New York City would always crush everyplace else.
But SF has the raw numbers and the percentage as well. NYC percentage would be low.

Old 05-10-2016, 04:27 PM

1 posts, read 749 times
Default Jobs in Midland - 2016

Could somebody tell what is the job situation in Midland, TX now - in 2016 given the decline of the oil extraction industry?

Old 05-10-2016, 05:24 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,085,037 times
You previous viewers need to look at the chart below to get a more current assessment of the job conditions in M & O

But still a good unemployment rate for Midland, on the positive side, but as was my personal experience in the oil bust in Houston in the 1980's the unemployment rate was much better/higher than the actual job picture or job searches were much harder than the rate precented, because the people laid off just left Houston entirely, because they just came for a job, no real ties to Houston, so just went back "up North" to home and family ties.

This is probably happening in M & O now. Or, heck it could be upticking pretty soon? figures don't show it yet, but let's be positive, lol

Check Texas Workforce Commission

I check this every month, these are March figures, Aprils are to be released May 20th.

See Midland and Odessa lead the state in percentage of job loss, ranked at the bottom 25th and 26th out of 26. They may somehow? be growing in some areas but the net effect is way, way down.

These figures are showing the oil affect are little more currently than a prediction in 2015.

http://www.tracer2.com/admin/uploade...sa_ranking.pdf

Last edited by Mark Senior; 05-10-2016 at 05:40 PM..

Old 05-10-2016, 11:02 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,974,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANF56 View Post
Could somebody tell what is the job situation in Midland, TX now - in 2016 given the decline of the oil extraction industry?
Pretty much nobody in the oilfield is hiring.I guess there are jobs in retail,education,food service, and medicine/service sector.

Old 05-10-2016, 11:25 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,085,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
Pretty much nobody in the oilfield is hiring.I guess there are jobs in retail,education,food service, and medicine/service sector.

No, did you look, at the Texas Workforce Commission numbers. Retail has less sales when larger number jobs are lost and is with most of the other sector numbers. If anyone really cares. The commission has the breakdown by sectors year over year which sectors are down and by how much. I just look at the totals, they tell the "overall" picture of employment. Of course nation wide, in the last 8 years, lower paying jobs have replace a larger percentage of the higher paying jobs, and the national unemployment rate is down, but that is mainly because people quite looking for jobs, or at least that counts for half of the better unemployment rate, off topic here by me, lol. It's just one of those things that figures can be very deceptive and can be manipulated sometimes to show a better picture than reality.

Old 05-11-2016, 02:35 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,974,972 times
I did not read it.....I was just trying to give the perspective of a local.I def agree that retail jobs aint as good as high paying jobs.I also agree that the jobs reports on the national level are deceptive.I was not saying that sales were up.I meant that more service sector employers were coming to town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas