Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 03:03 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times

Advertisements

People can prey on tourists where ever you go...good advice to lock up and hide things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 08:30 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,774,143 times
There used to be a little place in Port Isabel where the owners kept several species of sea life and took you around showing each of them and giving a little history on each one. They also had a boat and would give tours (they had some dolphins that they 'knew' and had named, who would always come up to their boat). It was pretty cool. I'm sorry I can't remember the name of the place, but I would imagine anyone down there could tell you (hopefully, they are still operating). I remember the lady pointing out some of the distinguishing marks on some of the dolphins and that is how they could tell them apart. There was a young female dolphin they had followed from birth and at the time we went out with them, she had her own baby. It was a very nice experience and I'm happy we got to enjoy it.

I realize this is not anything to do off the island as per your question, but I bet your boys would get the biggest kick out of catching sand crabs. Just take a small bucket/pail, a flashlight and head down to the beach after dark. They'll think they're on a great adventure.

How to Catch Sand Crabs: 10 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow

Old 07-02-2015, 02:18 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,218,798 times
We had our honeymoon in south padre because we needed a cheap trip and didn't have a ton of money.

I though it was nice, we stayed in a gulf front hotel and ate good food, and laid on the beach.

Also seen a turtle rehab center, and a wildlife viewing area.

Then a tropical storm blew in and we had to head north in a hurry.

I would probably go back, it is the closest thing I have seen to a Florida beach in Texas.

Old 07-04-2015, 07:45 PM

218 posts, read 220,890 times
Check out the World Birding Center. They have a very nice web site showing all the different locations. You can visit some of them or all of them. They are all interesting. Like previously mentioned, the zoo in Brownsville is nice too. In fact if you just Google the Rio Grande Valley you can get a lot of ideas.

Old 07-08-2015, 05:19 PM

20 posts, read 34,913 times
Wow! So many great suggestions, thank you everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas