Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 02:12 PM

232 posts, read 360,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
Read my other comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 02:17 PM

105 posts, read 106,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
How do you know when scriptures were written? The current Christian bible is a heavily edited conglomeration of passages written thousands of years ago that was carefully selected by various churches at some point to illustrate what they best thought it should be.

You don't get to cherry pick what works for you and what doesn't. If you're trying to justify hatred and discrimination because of something some people wrote thousands of years ago, you're going to have to take what works for you as well as what doesn't.

But, to be helpful:
To help you out, yes there are edited versions of the Bible and different contexts. But it is still the same core commandments in it, despite the editations. The best way is to read the Bible in context, yes people can go ahead and skip scripture, read it out of context, use it for wrong motives, etc.

But the best way, is to read it for yourself.

If you need a recommendation, the best Bible to read is the English Standard Version or the New International version.

ESV is one of the better bibles out there in how it sticks close to the original text but in modern day language.

NIV is a more easier read for someone getting into reading the Bible for the first time.

Old 07-10-2015, 02:24 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,764,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Train View Post
Thats funny, since I'm sure most of the constitution that was written along with most of the Presidents do believe in what you call a "Fairy tale" (We call him God)

And they also felt very strongly that religion has no place in government.

Old 07-10-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
So basing a "feeling" over something that is a Fact, is what we should say is the ultimate in a decision.

So if I "feel" like Cheating on my girlfriend is right, does that make it the right decision? or do I have a choice to what to do if I'm with a different woman?
Prove to me there is a God and I'll see what I can do to prove that being gay isn't a choice. But I think I'll have a lot more success.

Old 07-10-2015, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan1010 View Post
This seems so familiar, when someone doesn't have a legitimate explanation to a question they seem to dodge the whole question all together and then they copy and paste a picture which demonstrates how you lack any knowledge of a belief. (I've seen that image hundreds of times)

I'm not cherry picking anything, I simply asked you to show me proof, and you just gave me a response that I always observe from individuals like you, you 1) dodged the whole question 2) came up with an explanation to something I never asked.

Did you not read my comments? I don't discriminate because it is against the bible. Please educate yourself in a belief system before giving attempts to debate your side. The only athiests worth any time would be those who actually study a whole religious book and look into a belief system. You lack religious fluency since you can't answer my question at all.

If you bothered to read what I posted, I:

1) Didn't dodge the question at all - the picture clearly lays out the scriptures you asked for.
2) Didn't say I was an atheist.

You didn't ask for proof, you asked for specific scripture, which I provided.

I am intimately familiar with the Christian belief system. Make an actual point about it and I'll respond.

Old 07-10-2015, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Prove to me there is a God and I'll see what I can do to prove that being gay isn't a choice. But I think I'll have a lot more success.
The bible doesn't state that being gay is a sin...

(-_- )

Nor does it say that unionized partners under the government is a sin.

K-Train.... *Facepalm*

Old 07-10-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
To help you out, yes there are edited versions of the Bible and different contexts. But it is still the same core commandments in it, despite the editations. The best way is to read the Bible in context, yes people can go ahead and skip scripture, read it out of context, use it for wrong motives, etc.

But the best way, is to read it for yourself.

If you need a recommendation, the best Bible to read is the English Standard Version or the New International version.

ESV is one of the better bibles out there in how it sticks close to the original text but in modern day language.

NIV is a more easier read for someone getting into reading the Bible for the first time.
I'm familiar with the different versions of the Bible. Apparently, you aren't familiar with the actual history of the Bible itself.

Old 07-10-2015, 02:32 PM

Quote:
If you bothered to read what I posted, I:

1) Didn't dodge the question at all - the picture clearly lays out the scriptures you asked for.
2) Didn't say I was an atheist.

You didn't ask for proof, you asked for specific scripture, which I provided.

I am intimately familiar with the Christian belief system. Make an actual point about it and I'll respond.

Nice try, but you said you don't believe in a "bearded man in the sky", neither do I. Obviously you lack religious fluency if you think this is what Christians believe in. Secondly you are ignoring the time in which events occur in the bible. It's hysterical seeing someone ill informed attempt to justify themselves.

Old 07-10-2015, 02:34 PM

I'll wait for K-train to stop commenting. He seems to be as ill informed as League...

It would be nice if people on here studied religions throuroughly and not just Google answers like League and avoid scriptures like K-train.

Old 07-10-2015, 02:37 PM

League if you aren't an athiest than what are you? You aren't an agnostic because you aren't skeptical, I doubt you're a theist or deist because that doesn't go with your statements.

Are you a Gnostic Athiest?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas