Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 01:54 PM

22 posts, read 90,248 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been researching the different parts of Texas to try and find that "right spot" for us. Some places seem nice, such as Lubbock, but we don't know about the tonados/weather. Both of us are country folk, in our 20's and looking for a place to raise a family. We are both conservative, christian and uphold family values and the simple way of life. We need to have a large enough town to find employment, but one that maintains the small town feel. I'm also not into humidity but can handle some, just not the extreme. Does any place in Texas fit this description? I appreciate any input. FYI... we are looking to leave Washington State... too much crime/gangs... THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 02:24 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,209,779 times
Well humidity does limit your choices. Lubbock is a good town but defintiely different than what you are accumstomed to. It is in the plains region for one and that limits the trees/vegetation (has its own beauty). If you like the woods, still want that ruralish feel, but ammenities nearby you might try somewhere like Longview or Tyler areas. You might also check out areas in the hill country outside of Austin.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:43 PM

22 posts, read 90,248 times
Thanks Poltracker.

I've realized I will have to give up the mountain/tree terrain that I'm used to, but I find it a fair trade. A better way of life is always a better bet.

Does Longview/Tyler have pretty high humidity levels?

Old 01-23-2008, 03:25 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,274,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetsommertime View Post
Thanks Poltracker.

I've realized I will have to give up the mountain/tree terrain that I'm used to, but I find it a fair trade. A better way of life is always a better bet.

Does Longview/Tyler have pretty high humidity levels?

East Texas (Tyler, Longview) is very humid, but so is so much of the state. If the humidity is less like way out in west Texas, it leaves a lot to be desired by the eyes. It's terribly unattractive.

A friend of mine who lives in Woodland, Washington came to visit me and then traveled on to another state. She stayed in Tyler one night and walked out in the early morning from her hotel to go shopping. She said she was actually dripping sweat from her fingertips. She couldn't believe how unpleasant it was and that's from doing nothing. Just standing still, the sweat will pour. This was in May a few years ago.

Texas is pretty high on the crime rate list per state ranking but as with anywhere, some places have much less than others. It's really hard to recommend a place in Texas to suit you, but I guess one of the less populated areas in the Hill Country would be the best bet, but you won't escape the humidity.

Old 01-23-2008, 03:28 PM

595 posts, read 2,721,885 times
When I was reading your description of requirements that you would like to have in your next move ...the first place I thought of was the Tyler area. You are 80 miles from Dallas and about 100 miles from Shreveport, LA. Tyler is a city of 100,000 and there are a lot of smaller little towns on the outskirts. The humidity can be high during the summer...but just about everywhere in TX is.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:35 PM

3 posts, read 6,482 times
You might want to consider an area outlying Dallas or Austin. I have lived in Houston and Dallas both, and Dallas rates higher with me because Houston is SO humid and has a monsoon season. Dallas is far drier, yet it can be cold in the winter, but still drier. One of my sisters lived in Lubbock and I didn't like it. It can be so cold in the winter and also I believe there are wind storms and all sorts of storms. I agree with another poster that it isn't as green and it's rather flat, if I remember. I also agree with another poster that you might want to look around Austin. There are so many smaller cities around Austin and I really feel you'd feel more laid back around Austin than around Dallas. But I grew up in Texas and am temporarily on a humanitarian assignment in Florida. I can't wait to return to Texas because there is no place I'd rather live. There is a real down home feel to Texas and the food is great there. Some of the best BBQ in the world!

Old 01-23-2008, 09:30 PM

657 posts, read 2,544,563 times
Bryan/College Station, except for the humidity.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:42 PM

2,326 posts, read 3,932,965 times
Lubbock often has humidity in the single digits. It has a population of over 200,000 and is growing. Plus, contrary to popular belief, there are quite a few trees in the city. You might want to check it out first-hand. It is very friendly.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:56 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,108,943 times
Llano, west of Austin, or surrounding areas.

I grew up in TX and now live in Oregon, so I can guarantee you you will miss the trees and climate of the Pacific NW. The TX hill country is the closest thing to that, but still a big difference.

Don't know if the crime will be terribly better, but you will find very warm people who will share your values a lot more than in WA.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:00 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,145,728 times
Conservative, Christian, small town flavor, just outside the major tornado belt, simple way of life, lower humidity than the eastern half of the state. My friend, you have just described Abilene and San Angelo. I think both of them fit your requirements 100%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas